Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1956/57 Regular Season

1954 Kellogg Cup Playoffs, Semi Finals

6LKaAGE.png

West St. Paul Waves v. International Falls Ice

Spoiler

Coming off a long, hard fought series, the Ice had their work cut out for them. Game one was rough on them, falling to the Waves 3-1. West St. Paul was able to continue their recent form in game 2, lighting the lamp 5 times to win 5-3. The series headed up north to International Falls with West St. Paul up 2-0. Game three was when the momentum began to swing back into the Ice's favor. International Falls buried a goal under a minute into the game, and didn't look back, the final score was 6-2 in favor of the Ice. Game 4 was a little closer, and a lot more defensive, but the end result still had International Falls in the lead at the end, the final score was 2-1 Ice. The series headed back to the cities tied at two apiece, International Falls held the momentum, but the Waves were back on home ice where they have only lost 5 times all season. They were able to keep it there as they took game five 3 goals to 1. With elimination one game away, International Falls was in desperation mode. In front of a packed house, the Ice fell down one goal early. They finally tied things up late in the second period when Willy Mason buried a rebound under the goalies arm. The game remained tied at one apiece through the third period, so extra time was needed. 4 minutes into the overtime period West St. Paul's Charlie Finnigan was called for slashing, putting the Ice on the man advantage. International Falls capitalized on it when Mason blasted a one timer past the goalie, his second of the game, to force a deciding game 7.

Grand Rapids Moose v. St. Cloud Bear Cats

Spoiler

St. Cloud and Grand Rapids faced off in St. Cloud for game one, and to everyone's surprise, Sam Baker still wasn't with the team. His flu, while not as bad as before, still is preventing him from both working and playing. Despite this fact, his Moose managed to pull off the upset win on the road to take a 1-0 series lead. The Bear Cats were able to bounce back in game two, winning 3-2. Up in Grand Rapids, the series continued, St. Cloud flat out shut down the Moose's offensive attack, shutting them out and winning 2-0. Game four was all Bear Cats, St. Cloud dominated nearly every aspect of the game, completely outplaying Grand Rapids and winning 5-1. The series went back down to St. Cloud, and in front of an impressive crowd of nearly 5,000, the Bear Cats were able to continue their streak of dominance, shutting out the defending champions 3-0 and taking the series.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Love the magical run so far for International Falls.

I love this format, with each playoff series getting extra importance while the regular season is only mentioned in passing. It's kinda like how I (and most people I'd assume) follow college basketball: Only in March.

1954 Kellogg Cup Final

Game 1:

Spoiler

Game one started out with both teams playing a fairly conservative game, neither team was taking any risks and the first period ended scoreless. The second period picked up the pace, the Ice struck first, Mason sniped one under the goalies glove to give International Falls the lead. They then added to their lead just 3 minutes later, ending the second period up 2-0. The third period was the complete opposite of the first, both teams were taking bold chances to get scoring attempts. St. Cloud was finally able to get on the board with 7 minutes left to bring the score to within one. International Falls answered shortly after though, giving themselves a 2 goal cushion. St. Cloud managed to get one more with under a minute left, but it wasn't enough as they lost game one at home.

Game 2:

Spoiler

The Bear Cats bounced back in game two, flipping the score, winning the game 3-2 after going down 1 goal early in the first.

Game 3:

Spoiler

The series moved to International Falls, but the momentum stayed with St. Cloud. The Bear Cats hushed the intimidating crowd, scoring 3 in the first period and winning the game 4-1.

Game 4:

Spoiler

International Falls was pissed off after being embarrassed on home ice, they came out guns blazing in game four. They scored twice in the first period and once more in the second, whilst shutting out the Bear Cats. The third period was scoreless, giving the Ice the 3-0 win, tying the series at 2 apiece.

Game 5:

Spoiler

Back on Lake George in St. Cloud, the Bear Cats fell behind midway through the first period and didn't look very good. Their passing was sloppy and they couldn't get anything cooking on offense. The second period was more of the same, the Ice capitalized twice more while the Cats were still held off the scoreboard. Down 3-0 halfway through the third, the Bear Cats finally caught a break when International Falls had a major penalty called against them for checking from behind. The Bear Cats took advantage of the 5 minute man advantage, scoring twice. This still wasn't enough however to come back as the Ice took the game 3-2 and lead the series by the same number.

Game 6:

Spoiler

Much like the very first period of the series, game 6 was a very slow paced, defensive battle. Neither team giving the other anything. St. Cloud finally ended the deadlock in the second period. The third period began with the Bear Cats up 1-0, the Ice managed to tie things up less than a minute into the period. Tied at one apiece, with the series on the line, the Bear Cats made a costly error when a defenceman passed the puck through the slot in his own zone, the pass was picked off by Backus who quickly went five hole to give his Ice the lead with only a couple minutes left on the clock. International Falls just killed the clock for the last few minutes, getting the puck to the red line and dumping it in, the final horn rang and the cheers from the locals could be felt it was so loud. The International Falls Ice are your 1954 Kellogg Cup Champions, this is their first cup win in their second finals appearance!

O7LKi1v.png

Tschida Trophy Winner

Name: Michael Polich

Team: Hibbing Greyhounds

Position: Center

Stats: 23 Goals, 18 Assists, 41 Points

Rational: Although his team got upset in the playoffs, Polich led his Greyhounds to the top overall seeding in the playoffs, a feat the would not have happened if he wasn't on the team.  Polich also led the Iron Range in goals and points.

This is the third straight Tschida Trophy winner from the Iron Range.

I moved the graphic for the cup to the OP under a tab as well to save space.

Hey everyone, seeing a bunch of signature threads on the main concepts forum made me realize that the sigs I had made a while back are now outdated. I want to try something a little different for the new sigs, by making each one a little more "unique" to each team. Here is an example of what I mean with my updated version of Ely. I still have the teams motto "Dare to Beat the Bear" on there along with the team logo/wordmark, but I added championship banners that are hung in the new "Black Bear Arena" in downtown Ely.

XI1ZyUK.png

I will be taking requests for sigs if anyone wants any. If you want one with multiple teams I could make that work as well.

5 hours ago, Section30 said:

Hey everyone, seeing a bunch of signature threads on the main concepts forum made me realize that the sigs I had made a while back are now outdated. I want to try something a little different for the new sigs, by making each one a little more "unique" to each team. Here is an example of what I mean with my updated version of Ely. I still have the teams motto "Dare to Beat the Bear" on there along with the team logo/wordmark, but I added championship banners that are hung in the new "Black Bear Arena" in downtown Ely.

XI1ZyUK.png

I will be taking requests for sigs if anyone wants any. If you want one with multiple teams I could make that work as well.

I'm gonna have to update lol

I would like to request a St. Paul Saints one.

4 hours ago, buzzcut said:

I would like to request a St. Paul Saints one.

MofnV2z.png

Here you go!

During the off-season, 4 teams made adjustments to their looks. I will be doing a new thing from now on where the numbers on the back of the jersey correspond with the year the team was founded.

The Minneapolis Millers changed up their striping and added stripes to their breezers, they are the first team to add anything other than a solid color to them.

tyYB6XQ.png

The Chiefs left their jerseys unchanged, but they added a new script "Red Wing" for their away jersey.

k2JZEYb.png

The Saints left their uniforms the same, but heard about the Millers adding striping to their breezers and decided to do it as well.

8vp1VIo.png

And finally the Warroad Lakers changed their front logo from a diagonal "Lakers" down the front, to Lakers arched with the players number below. The Lakers anchor logo is also now seen on the sleeve stripes. The away jersey also made a slight adjustment by removing the white space between the blue and red in the stripes.

iw8iMJv.png

Also, if anyone is interested in a uniform database on the OP like I have for logos let me know, I know some teams haven't updated their jerseys in a while so if you want a place to see them let me know!

25 minutes ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Were the Millers founded in 1896? If so, what did they do up to the point where the MAHL started? 

There were 8 teams that were founded before the MAHL was formed.

Minneapolis Hockey Club/Millers - 1896

Soudan Miners - 1899

St. Paul Victorias - 1902

Eveleth Rangers - 1905

Stillwater Athletic Club - 1907

St. Paul Athletic Club/Saints - 1914

Duluth Hornets - 1914

South St. Paul Mavericks - 1915

The teams that were around prior to the MAHL either played against one another in a non-organized sense or just played with other amateurs, but there wasn't an organized league that the teams played under.

Just curious, where have you gotten the historical populations of all the cities from?

2 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Just curious, where have you gotten the historical populations of all the cities from?

This website called Population.us, here is the link it has historic populations for every city in the US (townships don't count), or at least every city I have looked for has been there.

The season is halfway through, and the MAHL All-Star Game is about to take place, this years host is Eveleth. Team North's jersey is simply the Reds classic uniform with North on the front rather than the Reds normal logo. Team South uses a color reversed version of the home jersey with red shoulders, could this be what a Reds away jersey would look like? The league also announced that next years All-Star Game would be hosted by a team in the Northland League.

Ql2tc3B.png

Here are the rosters for the teams.

North:

G - Sam Baker, Grand Rapids Moose (IRHC)

G - Keith Caden, Two Harbors Timberwolves (LSHL)

LW - Elliot Herman, Virginia Royals (IRHL)

LW - Colton Hill, Duluth Hornets (LSHL)

LW - Henry Heaslip, Duluth Voyageurs (LSHL)

C - John Backus, International Falls Ice (NLHL)

C - Michael Polich, Hibbing Greyhounds (IRHL)

C - Boomer Baumgartner, Roseau Stars (NLHL)

RW - Willy Mason, International Falls Ice (NLHL)

RW - James Oshie, Warroad Lakers (NLHL)

RW - Robert Mariucci (C), Eveleth Reds (IRHL)

D - Joshua Staal, Thunder Bay Giants (LSHL)

D - Ethan Plante, Cloquet Broncos (LSHL)

D - Ian Lindberg, Fort Frances Trappers (NLHL)

D - Riley Motzko, Bemidji Blue Ox (NLHL)

South:

G - Peter Niskanen, St. Paul Victorias (TCHC)

G - John Bienik, West St. Paul Waves (TCHL)

LW - Lucas Stewart, Rochester Robins (VHL)

LW - Kyle Ramsey, Minneapolis Millers (TCHL)

LW - Noah Sauer, St. Cloud Bear Cats (GHL)

C - Kurt Schmidt (C), St. Cloud Bear Cats (GHL)

C - Charlie Finnigan, West St. Paul Waves (TCHL)

C - Lee Larsson, Red Wing Chiefs (VHL)

RW - Ryan Pohl, Rochester Mustangs (VHL)

RW - Anders Johansson, South St. Paul Mavericks (TCHL)

RW - Cody Klaus, St. Paul Victorias (TCHL)

D - Les Housley, St. Paul Saints (TCHL)

D - Thomas Trail, Albert Lea Dragoons (VHL)

D - Sean Close, Austin Mavericks (VHL)

D - Eric O'Neil, Fergus Falls Cyclones (GHL)

Great job as always. 

Have you thought about getting Franchise Hockey Manager? It’s supposed to be like OOTP for Hockey. 

2 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Great job as always. 

Have you thought about getting Franchise Hockey Manager? It’s supposed to be like OOTP for Hockey. 

I haven't heard of it, I'll have to check it out!