Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1957 Kellogg Cup Final

1938 Kellogg Cup Finals

Game 1: The Giants came out strong, controlling the flow of play the whole game and taking game 1 3-0.

Game 2: Thunder Bay continues to roll over opponents, winning 3-1.

Game 3: The Greyhounds bounced back on home ice, getting back to within one in the series.

Game 4: Hibbing squeaks out an overtime victory to tie the series.

Game 5: The Giants are able to hold off the Greyhounds who are buzzing after back to back victories.

Game 6: Back on home ice and with their backs to the wall, the Hounds are able to win despite only scoring once, forcing a game 7 across the border.

Game 7: Thunder Bay was just too much for the Hounds to handle as they blew by them with a 2-0 victory to claim their first Kellogg Cup!

bNiVUL3.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

43 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

I love how the home team was winless

Actually, the home team won every game (In his graphic, the home team was listed first).

51 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

I love how the home team was winless

5 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Actually, the home team won every game (In his graphic, the home team was listed first).

What @MBurmy said, the home team is on the left side in the finals, or is on top in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Section30 said:

What @MBurmy said, the home team is on the left side in the finals, or is on top in the playoffs.

Ohhhhh. I was used to how other things do it (left=road; right=home)

Nice to see the Giants win. Hopefully they can get another soon!

Prior to the 1938/39 season, the St. Paul Saints made a big change to their identity. The Saints made green much more prevelent on their uniforms, added a thick red chest stripe, and adjusted their script "St. Paul" logo.

JtHCkg1.png

12 hours ago, Section30 said:

Prior to the 1938/39 season, the St. Paul Saints made a big change to their identity. The Saints made green much more prevelent on their uniforms, added a thick red chest stripe, and adjusted their script "St. Paul" logo.

JtHCkg1.png

Huh. I think I would've liked to see the opposite with a bit less green. I was also a huge fan of the old script, but I'll give this new one a chance. Always great stuff!

5 hours ago, La Sainte-Flanelle Du Nord said:

Huh. I think I would've liked to see the opposite with a bit less green. I was also a huge fan of the old script, but I'll give this new one a chance. Always great stuff!

So the Saints, like a handful of other teams in this series, were real teams at some time in history. I stumbled on these images of the Saints in 1939 and thought it would be cool to have the Saints wearing what they actually wore that year. They could eventually go back to their old script and simplify their jerseys in the near future.

Image result for st paul saints hockey 1939

On 8/27/2018 at 4:00 PM, Section30 said:

So the Saints, like a handful of other teams in this series, were real teams at some time in history. I stumbled on these images of the Saints in 1939 and thought it would be cool to have the Saints wearing what they actually wore that year. They could eventually go back to their old script and simplify their jerseys in the near future.

Well dang, thats great! I really like the historical basing. Really cool!

The 1938/39 season concluded and here are the stories.

Iron Range Hockey League: Hibbing fell down to third place, getting jumped by the Black Bears and Reds. Virginia stayed in the final playoff spot. Soudan jumped to fifth but still missed the playoffs, as did the Flames and Rangers.

Lake Superior Hockey League: Thunder Bay continued to dominate the league, going undefeated minus one tie. The Giants were followed by the Duluth Voyageurs and Hornets. Grand Rapids stayed in the playoff picture in the 4 spot. The Superior Lakers improved but still missed the playoffs. Two Harbors is beginning to feel the effects of aging as they are dropping rapidly. Cloquet remained at the bottom of the table.

Twin Cities Hockey League: The Victorias claimed the top spot in the Cities, followed by South St. Paul, and the Saints. Minneapolis made a playoff spot after missing last year, and the Vulcans dropped to fifth in the league and missed the playoffs.

ycnUDkR.pngmSqsEpI.pngG2U1jvK.png

This may be my first time posting in this topic, but I've reading it for quite some time, and I must say, I'm highly impressed by this semi pro league! The uniforms and logos are appropriate for the time period, and the stories are interesting. I do however, have a few questions about the league itself: 

1. What types of businesses do the owners of the teams run? Smaller businesses than those compared to, say, the NFL in real life, or are they former players and coaches? What I'm trying to ask is, who runs the league exactly?

2. When the league gets to expansion, will there be expansion councils?

Aside from those questions, I am still excited to see what the future holds for this league. Keep up the good work!

13 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

This may be my first time posting in this topic, but I've reading it for quite some time, and I must say, I'm highly impressed by this semi pro league! The uniforms and logos are appropriate for the time period, and the stories are interesting. I do however, have a few questions about the league itself: 

1. What types of businesses do the owners of the teams run? Smaller businesses than those compared to, say, the NFL in real life, or are they former players and coaches? What I'm trying to ask is, who runs the league exactly?

2. When the league gets to expansion, will there be expansion councils?

Aside from those questions, I am still excited to see what the future holds for this league. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, hopefully I can help clarify some things.

1. Teams are independently owned by the players and coaches (though some teams don't have any coaches, just player coaches). Players have to pay to be on the team and the money goes to travel expenses and such, players also have to supply their own equipment. Teams are run based off of how youth hockey programs are currently run. Although there aren't any owners, teams can be sponsored by local businesses, this could allow players to play for free (they still wouldn't be getting paid because then it wouldn't be an amateur league). So in short, teams are independently owned by the players on the team who pay to be on a team, unless local businesses sponsor the team allowing the players to play without having to pay, sponsors can also buy teams equipment, just not pay the players. 

2. The Minnesota Amateur Hockey League decides who is able to join a league based on how many players are committed to playing an entire season and are in a situation where they can pay for transportation. So no, there won't be expansion councils, it will mostly be decided by me based on a number of things; current population of the city, population trends, new businesses or industries in the city, hockey presence in the city in real life at the time, and relation to other teams at the time (so there isn't a team 5 hours from the next closest team).

I hope that this cleared some stuff up, feel free to leave more comments!

1939 Playoffs

Knockout Round:

• The Duluth Hornets end Grand Rapids season and advance.
  • In the wildcard bracket, the Saints defeat the Greyhounds.
  • The Royals upset the Reds from Eveleth and advance to face Ely.
  • Minneapolis upsets the Mavericks as they advance.

Second Round:

• The Giants advance past the Hornets but not without cost, a broken collarbone injury to their star player Guy Dubois ended his season leaving them without their top man.
  • Duluth gets the better of St. Paul as they advance to face the defending champs.
  • The Royals upset the Black bears in the playoffs yet again, this time to advance to the semi finals.
  • Minneapolis looks to be on a roll as they also upset the St. Paul Victorias.

Semi Finals:

• With their top dog gone, the Giants just managed to eek out a series win over the Voyageurs to get to the finals.
  • In a battle of two underdogs, the Royals from Virginia get the better of Minneapolis and advance.

Will the Giants go back to back despite losing Dubois? Or will the Royals stay red hot and steal the cup?

3V6meQA.png

1939 Kellogg Cup Finals

Game 1: The Royals continue to roll as they are just too much for Thunder Bay to handle as they steal game one in Thunder Bay 3-1.

Game 2: The Giants regroup after game one and come back to tie the series at a game apiece.

Game 3: Virginia shuts down Thunder Bay's offense, only allowing 11 shots on target, as they themselves scored two to take game 3.

Game 4: In a high scoring affair, the Royals were able to take game 4 thanks to an overtime goal that sent the city into mayhem.

Game 5: The Giants, back on home ice, light the lamp 4 times as they look to inch back in the series.

Game 6: With seemingly the entire city of Virginia packed into the bleachers, the Royals looked to clinch their third Kellogg Cup. After falling behind midway through the first, the boys in blue put up 3 unanswered goals before the third period even began. This was too much for Thunder Bay to handle, despite getting one back. The Underdog story has come to fruition as the Virginia Royals have won the 1939 Kellogg Cup!

mg1jy4g.png

16 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

Now that were entering the 40s, I wonder what effect WW2 will have on the league.

With the depression coming to an end and WW2 beginning, there will be some changes, but expansion will take place soon.

Who knew that Thunder Bay would go undefeated and then falter at the end? I wonder if their star didn't get injured, would it play out differently?

And with the 40's coming, will there be teams affected by WW2?