Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1957 Kellogg Cup Final

14 minutes ago, Section30 said:

As of right now there is currently a team in Wisconsin, the Superior Lakers, and I plan on adding at least 1 more Wisconsin team, as well as a couple in North Dakota.

I'm not sure how you would feel about expanding to Canada, but there are some close Cities in Ontario (Thunder Bay and Kenora) that could definitely support teams.

44 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

I'm not sure how you would feel about expanding to Canada, but there are some close Cities in Ontario (Thunder Bay and Kenora) that could definitely support teams.

I hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention it there are a few cities I will consider adding from Canada.

4 minutes ago, Goran The Man said:

Was there a match between Chisholm and Hibbing that was cancelled?

I had to go back and look, no there wasn't, just a mistake on my part.

1933 Playoffs

Knockout Round:

• Ely, who is beginning to show that their next wave of young players could bring them to the glory days, easily beat the Greyhounds.
  • The Lakers, who clinched a playoff spot for the first time a few year, upsets the Hornets and advances.
  • In a battle of St. Paul vs Minneapolis, the Saints came out on top and will face their rivals to the south in the second round.
  • Soudan wins their first playoff game in 17 years and advances.

Second Round:

• The defending champs shut down Ely and advance to yet another semi finals.
  • The Timberwolves shut down the Lakers run of good luck in the playoffs and advance.
  • South St. Paul sweeps the Saints.
  • The Miners celebrations are cut short as they lose handily to the Voyageurs.

Semi Finals:

• The Timberwolves crush the Reds hopes of completing a three-peat as they beat them in 4 games to advance to the finals.
  • The Mavericks and Voyageurs compete in a close, hard fought, series where Duluth came out on top in game 5 to advance to the finals.

In this all Lake Superior League Final, will the Timberwolves win their first Cup? Or will the Voyageurs win their fourth cup in 6 years?

XAr7HDX.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Looking good, if we r talking about expanding into other states, maybe 1 team in South Dakota? Then again, it may be too far away, given the proximity of teams in the current leagues.

As a Wisconsin guy, I'm rooting for Superior. How does the near future look for them?

5 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

Looking good, if we r talking about expanding into other states, maybe 1 team in South Dakota? Then again, it may be too far away, given the proximity of teams in the current leagues.

After looking at some border cities, I'm considering teams in Sioux Falls and Brookings that could play with other south western teams.

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

As a Wisconsin guy, I'm rooting for Superior. How does the near future look for them?

Things are looking up, but I wouldn't expect too much. They are in a situation where they are on the rise, but are stuck in a stacked league with some of the best teams in the league in Two Harbors, the Duluth Voyageurs and to a lesser extent the Hornets. I could see them making some noise in the playoffs (as they seem to always overachieve when they make it) but I don't know if they'll have what it takes in the coming years to pass the Voyageurs or Timberwolves.

Superior's window of opportunity may be short as well, with the cities population dropping fast after the 50s when the Mining industry slows and eventually stops.

Game 1: In the first Kellogg Cup final between two teams from the same league, the Two Harbors Timberwolves were able to take game on on home ice.

Game 2: Keeping the momentum going from game 1, the Wolves pressured Le Bleus the entire game, scoring 2 and allowing 0.

Game 3: The Voyageurs were able to use their home ice advantage and bring the series to a one game deficit.

Game 4: In a tight game, Duluth would score the game winning goal on a controversial "deflection" off the players skate to win it in overtime. Timberwolves players admittedly swear it was kicked in, but none the less the series will go back to Two Harbors tied 2 games apiece.

Game 5: In a goaltending duel, the Wolves came out on top with a 1-0 win.

Game 6: With the series back in Duluth, everyone expected Le Bleus to continue the trend of the home team winning, but the Wolves had other ideas. Jumping out to a 2 goal lead they held it throughout, although they did allow the Voyageurs to get one back, they buried them with an empty net goal to seal their first Kellogg Cup!

wKP1gqb.png

Long-time lurker, first-time commenter...LOVE what you're doing with this league!

As a Wisconsinite, my question is, any chance some more Wisconsin border cities may join in the future alongside Superior?  (La Crosse and Hudson are two which come to mind)

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

Long-time lurker, first-time commenter...LOVE what you're doing with this league!

As a Wisconsinite, my question is, any chance some more Wisconsin border cities may join in the future alongside Superior?  (La Crosse and Hudson are two which come to mind)

I was already planning on those 2 as well as a couple other surprises...

Prior to the 1933/34 season the MAHL welcomed its newest member, the first one from across the border. The Thunder Bay Giants are joining the Lake Superior Hockey League and are looking to add to an already incredibly talented league. The team is named after the Sleeping Giant, if you don't know what that is here's the Wikipedia explanation "The Sleeping Giant is a formation of mesas and sills on Sibley Peninsula which resembles a giant lying on its back when viewed from the west to north-northwest section of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada." The team colors are red and white (cream) as an ode to being the only Canadian team in the league. The Giants logo is a simple TB monogram standing for Thunder Bay.

x2oegrx.png

There was also a change to the St. Paul Victorias this off season. The V-Wings simplified their uniforms to be more similar to their original jerseys, as well as adding a white version for the first time in franchise history.

N3UVDK2.png

Thunder Bay is a thing of beauty.

The Vics are solid, good jerseys.

I like Thunder Bay, but looking purely at geography, they seem like a closer fit in the Iron Range. Then again, I don't have roadmaps form the 30s and I don't know if it would be faster to travel to Duluth, say, than Soudan because of road quality.

24 minutes ago, JamHeronArk said:

I like Thunder Bay, but looking purely at geography, they seem like a closer fit in the Iron Range. Then again, I don't have roadmaps form the 30s and I don't know if it would be faster to travel to Duluth, say, than Soudan because of road quality.

Geographically it is closer to the Iron Range, and the team actually got offers to join both the Iron Range and Lake Superior Hockey Leagues. The Giants ultimately decided on joining the Lake Superior League due to the city being much more similar to the cities in the Lake Superior League. Rather than being a mining city, Thunder Bay is a port city, just like Duluth and Superior. Plus the cities of Thunder Bay and Duluth have sort of a rivalry as to which is the superior (sorry I had to) city in the north west part of the Lake.

Love that Thunder Bay set. Looks like I have a new favourite team.

The 1933/34 season concluded and here are the stories.

Iron Range Hockey League: The Eveleth Reds continue to own the Iron Range, Ely remains at second. The Greyhounds improved on last year and look to not underachieve come playoff time yet again. The Miners remained in fourth place with a solid season. Virginia climbs from last years position but is still short of a playoff birth. And the Rangers and Flames are stuck at the bottom of the league.

Lake Superior Hockey League: Le Bleus took back the top spot in the league inching out the defending champs. The Giants, in their first season finish in third. Superior clinches another playoff birth ahead of the Hornets and Broncos.

Twin Cities Hockey League: The Victorias reclaimed the top spot in the league. Minneapolis jumped up to second in the league with a strong rookie season from their 6'5 bruising defenseman Evan Payne. The top four rounded out with South St. Paul followed by the St. Paul Saints. The Vulcans continue to drop, but likely wont fall past the horrendous Athletics.

q8Kbj81.pngIqiGOa1.png4CLdQB3.png

Very well written and designed. This is enjoyable! I feel like the designs are mostly appropriate for the time period. I'm especially excited for the 50's and 70's.

I just spent the past hour or so reading up on this entire thread, and now I am in LOVE with it!! I'm from Iowa myself, but I have family up in Minnesota so I visit there all the time. My favorite teams so far are the Duluth Voyagers and the Two Harbors Timberwolves. 

I know you probably already have over 100(!) teams planned out, but I was wondering if you're planning on adding teams in Bloomington and Burnsville (where my family are from), and Lutsen and Grand Maraias up on the North Shore. I vacation in these two cities all the time. 

And I absolutely love how simple, easy and concise this thread is to read! I hope you don't mind if I borrow some ideas for my own league, Solar League Baseball!