Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1957 Playoffs; Second Round

On 12/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, TargetToad said:

I wonder which league would be the strongest if they had an all-star tournament against each other

I'm not sure, I would guess that they would all be pretty close, except maybe the Valley League. I'm waiting until there are more leagues in the south to do a north-south all star tournament or something like that.

1953 Playoffs

Knockout Round:

• St. Cloud knocked off the under .500 Chiefs.
  • Albert Lea met up with the Trappers, and Fort Frances was just too strong for the Dragoons as they advanced.
  • the ever aging Lakers from Superior were beaten and battered after getting slaughtered by the up and coming Waves.
  • The defending champs ended South St. Paul's playoff reappearance, Ely will move on for a chance to defend the Cup.

Second Round:

• The one loss Hornets kept rolling as they swept St. Cloud.
  • In a battle of number twos, the Giants were able to get the better of Rochester in 3 games.
  • Hibbing sweeps the Trappers, Polich of the Greyhounds went off, notching 6 points in two games (2 goals, 4 assists).
  • The Voyagers came into this series as underdogs, but they felt that they could shock the league and upset the Reds. Eveleth put an end to those dreams, sweeping them.
  • The Stars look dangerous after completely dominating, and sweeping, a very good West St. Paul team.
  • Minneapolis and International Falls met in a very close fought series. The Millers were just able to squeeze past the Ice, thanks to back to back overtime wins.
  • The third seeded Victorias ended the Black bears shot at another Cup, coming back after losing game 1.
  • The Rochester Robins were upset by Grand Rapids and Baker.

Quarter Finals:

• In a Lake Superior League rivalry series, the Hornets came up on top over the Giants in 5 games.
  • Number 4 vs number 6 lived up to the hype as the Reds and Greyhounds went the distance, Hibbing advanced thanks to an overtime dagger in game five by Michael Polich in front of his friends and neighbors.
  • Roseau completely dominated the Millers in this series, sweeping Minneapolis 3-0.
  • The Victorias came into this series elated, not having to face the Valley League champions, they might have taken the Moose to be an easier opponent than they truly were as Grand Rapids came out and outplayed St. Paul and advanced to the semi finals.

Semi Finals:

• The top seeded Hornets faced off against the winners of the Iron Range and the series went back and forth. Games 1-6 were all won by the home team, the trend finally was ended when Hibbing came to the shores of Superior and stole the series on the road.
  • Grand Rapids' incredible playoff push led them to the second seeded Stars, but their momentum didn't slow. Thanks in large part to Sam Baker stopping everything in sight. The Moose and Baker were able to upset Roseau and advance to their first ever Kellogg Cup Finals.

Will the Greyhounds complete their rise back to dominance? Or will Baker and the Moose stay red hot and win their first cup?

VQzkPec.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Let's go MOOSE!

1953 Kellogg Cup Finals

Game 1: The Greyhounds got the better of their Iron Range competitors in game one, winning 3-1.

Game 2: The Moose came out in game two much more aggressive, putting up 38 shots on goal and burying 3 to tie the series.

Game 3: With the series going down to Grand Rapids, the Moose took advantage of home ice, beating the Hounds 3-2.

Game 4: The Moose came out strong and didn't let up, notching 5 goals while Baker did his part, only allowing one goal against to give Grand Rapids a 3-1 series lead.

Game 5: With their backs against the wall, Hibbing was able to shut out the Moose and keep their Cup hopes alive.

Game 6: The Moose fell behind 1-0 just a couple minutes in, but were able to strike right back again and again. Up 4-1 with 3 minutes left the Greyhounds pulled the goalie and were able to sneak one past Baker, but it was too little too late as the Grand Rapids Moose claimed their first ever Kellogg Cup!

4IHAEQk.png

Tschida Trophy Winner

Name: Sam Baker

Team: Grand Rapids Moose

Position: Goalie

Stats: .940 SV% (.946 Regular Season) - 1.61 GAA (1.43 Regular Season)

Rational: Baker not only led his Moose to their first ever Kellogg Cup, but the 25 year old net minder also set 4 new MAHL records for the highest save percentage in the regular season and for the whole season, as well as the lowest goals against average in a regular season and full season.

CXqCt4D.png

The Moose did it! I was wondering whether the Moose would win the Kellog Cup before or after teams start moving into the south and southwest. Question answered.

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

Is that Grand Rapids first title?

As you can see in his last three posts, yes it is.,

Prior to the 1953/54 season the MAHL made a few announcements.

• One new team will be joining the MAHL; joining St. Cloud, Alexandria, and Fergus Falls in a new league called the "Granite Hockey League" which will be based in St. Cloud.
  • The Two Harbors Timberwolves adjusted their jerseys, adding a hem stripe.
  • Long time captain of the St. Paul Victorias, Lance Ogden retired at the age of 44.
  • Eveleth Reds star, and 1952 Tschida Trophy winner, Marco Palazzari, was signed by the NHL's Detroit Red Wings. Marco is the first MAHL player signed straight the the NHL in league history.
  • The MAHL will have its first ever All Star Game, there will be two teams, North and South. North will be the top 9 forwards, 4 defenders, and 2 goalies from the Iron Range, Northland, and Lake Superior Hockey Leagues. The South will be the same amount of players per position, but players will be from the Twin Cities, Granite, and Valley Hockey Leagues.
  • The Playoff format will also change to deal with the new league, though it will still be the top 4 teams from each league achieving a playoff birth.

Here is the updated uniform for the Timberwolves.

B1JI7To.png

Little Falls is a city similar in size to Alexandria, with a population just under 7,000. With their decent sized population for the area, along with some persuasion by the other teams in the area to form a new league, Little falls decided to pull the trigger and form a team.

The nickname "Pilots" was chosen to honor Charles Lindbergh who lived in the city and graduated from Little Falls High School. Their logo is made to look like a pilots wings with a script "Pilots" in the middle (the script Pilots is borrowed from one of my favorite bands, the Stone Temple Pilots, because it just fit too perfectly for the time period) the jerseys just have the Pilots script on the front. The team colors are black, gold/tan, and white.

UgPTuBQ.png

Wait, if the Granite league only has 4 teams this year, and the top 4 teams from each league make to the playoffs. what's stopping a 2 or 3 win team from the Granite league making it in over a 10 win team from a larger league?

It might be a better idea to readjust the playoff format. Maybe a 12 team playoff where the top two teams in each league advances.

If want to keep the format you have, then I suggest that you have a system that allows teams who do better then a fourth placed team to get in. This is similar to what the current rules in the NHL, AHL and I think the ECHL as well.

3 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Wait, if the Granite league only has 4 teams this year, and the top 4 teams from each league make to the playoffs. what's stopping a 2 or 3 win team from the Granite league making it in over a 10 win team from a larger league?

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It might be a better idea to readjust the playoff format. Maybe a 12 team playoff where the top two teams in each league advances.

If want to keep the format you have, then I suggest that you have a system that allows teams who do better then a fourth placed team to get in. This is similar to what the current rules in the NHL, AHL and I think the ECHL as well.

Those are all good points I hadn't really thought of. I like having a larger playoff so I don't think I'd drop to 12 teams. What if the top 3 teams from each league got a guaranteed bid, and the other spots were just the best teams outside of the top 3? Would that make more sense?

1 hour ago, Section30 said:

Those are all good points I hadn't really thought of. I like having a larger playoff so I don't think I'd drop to 12 teams. What if the top 3 teams from each league got a guaranteed bid, and the other spots were just the best teams outside of the top 3? Would that make more sense?

I think doing that would make a lot more sense, kinda like what the NHL does now.

I feel like you should do one season where the Granite League gets all 4 teams in, despite their records. Then have teams in other leagues threaten to split off to do the same thing unless a change is made. Make it a big deal, like the Granite League is intentionally doing it to ensure their entire League gets in.

Keep in mind, the Granite League's territory has NUMEROUS cities which look to be ready for an expansion team...in fact, there are eight Minnesota municipalities of 10,000 or more per 1950 census still waiting for teams as of 1953 (two of which would be in the Granite's region, three of which would be in the Twin Cities' region, three in the Valley's region)

So just give 'em a few years...

8 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I feel like you should do one season where the Granite League gets all 4 teams in, despite their records. Then have teams in other leagues threaten to split off to do the same thing unless a change is made. Make it a big deal, like the Granite League is intentionally doing it to ensure their entire League gets in.

That's what I was thinking at first, I probably will end up doing this just so I can keep the 4 per league system going since I have teams planned to join the league as soon as next season.

We're halfway through the season, and for the first time the leagues top players will all take the ice at the same time. The first Minnesota Amateur Hockey League All Star Game is about to take place. The league decided to grant the city of St. Paul the honor of being the first home of the event, and it will travel around from city to city in the years to come. The St. Paul Victorias will be the host team, and because of this the uniforms will be in team colors and follow the general style of the Victorias more or less.

Below are the uniforms for the first ever All Star Game. Since St. Paul is hosting, team South will be home and wear the darker uniforms, all players will have matching jerseys and socks, but the breezers will just be whatever they use for their team (so someone from Albert Lea would wear orange pants, and so on).

jqEqa2p.png

Here are the rosters for the teams.

South:

G - Peter Niskanen, St. Paul Victorias (TCHC)

G - Ben Nodl, Little Falls Pilots (GHL)

LW - Lucas Stewart, Rochester Robins (VHL)

LW - Kyle Ramsey, Minneapolis Millers (TCHL)

LW - Noah Sauer, St. Cloud Bear Cats (GHL)

C - Kurt Schmidt, St. Cloud Bear Cats (GHL)

C - Charlie Finnigan, West St. Paul Waves (TCHL)

C - Lee Larsson, Red Wing Chiefs (VHL)

RW - Ryan Pohl, Rochester Mustangs (VHL)

RW - Anders Johansson, South St. Paul Mavericks (TCHL)

RW - Cody Klaus, St. Paul Victorias (TCHL)

D - Les Housley, St. Paul Saints (TCHL)

D - Thomas Trail, Albert Lea Dragoons (VHL)

D - Timmy Henderson, White Bear Lake Braves (TCHL)

D - Eric O'Neil, Fergus Falls Cyclones (GHL)

North:

G - Sam Baker, Grand Rapids Moose (IRHC)

G - Mikael Olafsson, Chisholm Flames (IRHL)

LW - Zach Smith, Thief River Falls Railers (NLHL)

LW - Colton Hill, Duluth Hornets (LSHL)

LW - Henry Heaslip, Duluth Voyageurs (LSHL)

C - Sage Andrusko, Ely Black Bears (IRHL)

C - Michael Polich, Hibbing Greyhounds (IRHL)

C - Boomer Baumgartner, Roseau Stars (NLHL)

RW - Willy Mason, International Falls Ice (NLHL)

RW - Jack Smith, Thief River Falls Railers (NLHL)

RW - Robert Mariucci, Eveleth Reds (IRHL)

D - Joshua Staal, Thunder Bay Giants (LSHL)

D - Ethan Plante, Cloquet Broncos (LSHL)

D - Ian Lindberg, Fort Frances Trappers (NLHL)

D - Riley Motzko, Bemidji Blue Ox (NLHL)

The first ever MAHL All Star Game is complete, the North All Stars have claimed the victory at the St. Paul Auditorium in front of a packed house of over 5,000 fans from all across the state.

First Period: Cody Klaus of the hosting St. Paul Victorias netted the first goal of the game just over a minute in, assisted by Ramsey and Trail giving team South an early lead. North was able to respond a few minutes later when Roseau's Boomer Baumgartner broke through the defense and buried a break away goal unassisted. Team North was able to get their first lead of the game thanks to a point shot from Josh Staal of the Thunder Bay Giants, the assist was granted to International Fall's Willy Mason. With 2:34 left in the opening period team south was able to tie things up thanks to the Bear Cat, Kurt Schmidt, assisted by Ramsey and Henderson. After a period with a lot of action, the game remained tied after 1.

Second Period: Sage Andrusko of the Black Bears had a nice one time finish on a 2 on 1 with Eveleths Mariucci to put team North back in the lead. Halfway through the period both teams switched goaltenders, Niskanen and Olafsson left the ice to an ovation from the crowd on hand as they welcomed Nodl from Little Falls and last years MVP Baker from Grand Rapids to the ice.

Third Period: International Falls' Willy Mason capitalized on a power play for the North, assisted by Staal and Zach Smith, giving them a 2 goal lead. Team North built on their lead when Hibbing's Polich sniped his first point of the game, assisted by Staal. Team South finally got back on the board when Charlie Finnigan from West St. Paul buried a rebound, the assists went to Pohl and Sauer. The final horn went and the North All Stars were victorious in the first ever All Star Game by a score of 5-3.

MuERPJf.png

Thunder Bay's Joshua Staal was named MVP of the game thanks to his 1 goal and 2 assists on the night for the North All Stars.

The all star game is really cool. It's something extra very few threads have. Not even the AFA has an All Star game.