Seattle Sounders Refresh (Updated 07-21: Jerseys)

vtgco

Hello, everyone, I'm vtgco! I've lurked on these forums for a while now, and I finally decided to sign up for an account and post my first topic, because...

...after a few less successful attempts, I have finally created a concept for my Seattle Sounders that I like!

Despite being an enthusiastic fan of the team, I don't particularly like their current logo. Its strangely shaped shields and redundant white & gray outlines feel poorly weighted, the Space Needle is inaccurately depicted in a gray color, and the banner hogs the spotlight. Worst of all, though, the current logo doesn't even represent the beloved Puget Sound, the namesake of the team! I think my concept addresses some of these issues, while also combining the different eras of Sounders logo history.

concept_6_page_decision.jpg

So, first off, I decided to use a hexagonal, emerald shape for the Emerald City's team.

I also wanted to use a kelly/emerald green, because I don't like the obnoxious lime green, because it's closer to the color of both trees (Seattle has a lot of those) and emeralds, and because the NASL and USL Sounders used a darker green.

I created a new, more accurately colored and shaped Space Needle silhouette.

I brought in the NASL era-style waves to represent the Puget Sound.

I paired it with the NASL era wordmark, which I really love, and kept the current logo's "Seattle" font.

For A & B, I wanted to have versions that used similar colors and format (green on top of blue) to the current logo.

For C & D, I incorporated the NASL-era teal, creating an abstract image of a typical view of the Puget Sound (light blue sky, green islands, deep blue water). It also semi-intentionally looks like the local SoundTransit buses, which apparently was once the jersey sponsor for the USL-era Sounders.

I might do some alternate logos and jerseys, so hopefully you guys can help me decide between these four versions before I move on! Your input is appreciated. Thanks!

TL;DR: I really like retro Sounders stuff. Help me choose a version of my logo, plz

A and B are really balanced. I prefer the B shape with the space needle topping the emerald shape as it looks more compact and better suited for a jersey.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

Seconding this. If you had the continuous outline on option B, it’d be perfect.

Thirding this. B has the best wave design and is perfectly balanced. The larger emerald shape creates a bottom heavy logo on A and D. B is the way to go here. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

4 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

I'd say A or B, but I'd make the blue outline continue around the whole Space Needle.

4 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Seconding this. If you had the continuous outline on option B, it’d be perfect.

Okay, here you go:

concept_6_page_decision_outlined.jpg

I had tried this before, and I felt kinda unsure about it. Maybe you have some suggestions for it, but for now I'm inclined to leave it off...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions! I've got a couple of alternate logos in the works, so I'll be preparing that for you all!

I'm also a big fan of B2. The one thing I would say about the A and B sets, though, is that one wave on the bottom that kinda rubs up against the bottom of the hexagon. I would move the waves either up or down a little bit so that's not happening. Other than that, this is great.

I think B2 has taken the cake today, so here it is in its final form!

concept_6_page.jpg

concept_6_logo_history.jpg

concept_6_colors.jpg       concept_6_website.jpg

@Bruins's Syracuse branding package inspired me to do something similar, so here is everything so far, all presented at once!

On the page, I used the font that the Sounders' logo currently uses for the "Seattle" text. This would be the font for the jerseys' necktape writing.

On 6/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

I'm also a big fan of B2. The one thing I would say about the A and B sets, though, is that one wave on the bottom that kinda rubs up against the bottom of the hexagon. I would move the waves either up or down a little bit so that's not happening. Other than that, this is great.

Hopefully my update to the waves looks better to you!

On 6/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, MJD7 said:

I love this logo and the color scheme, B2 is my favorite personally. That logo with an updated wordmark underneath would look fantastic. Great work!

Wasn't quite sure what sort of "update" you were hoping for, but I changed the teal of the wordmark to blue to match the color scheme of the final logo.

The color variations show all the colors used by Sounders alternate jerseys, B&W versions, retro version, and holiday schemes for social media profile pictures for Independence Day, Cascadia Day, and Pride Month.

I also mocked up an image of the current Sounders website to show the new logo and new colors.

Finally, I have two secondary logos for you: one with an emerald in the Seattle city seal, and another with the orca whale mascot from the 1990s Sounders logo.

I'll probably do some jerseys at some point, but for now, any comments about the primary, secondaries, or presentation are appreciated! Thank you all for your input! Go Sounders!

• vtgco changed the title to Seattle Sounders Logo Refresh (Updated: Secondary Logos)

Archived