MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Redesign // Solar Powered

SplashBoogie

In 2008, the Tampa Bay Rays dropped the Devil for a logo concept that could at best be considered conservative. Combined with the dull soup can that is Tropicana Field, this lead to uniforms and branding that is all together entirely too dark for a team invoking the sun.  With a new stadium on the way and a new era of success (hopefully) on the horizon, now is the time to shift to a look that displays the bright future of the franchise in more ways than just the name.

tumblr_pa8m318FxI1ufhi8uo1_640.png
tumblr_pa8lwyQsos1ufhi8uo2_640.png tumblr_pa8lwyQsos1ufhi8uo1_640.png

Sky Blue takes the stage as the new primary color of the team with Sunshine Gold as the main accent. This 1) brightens the team's look at 2) gives them a unique color combination not used by any current team as their primary look. The updated navy Ocean Blue, while absent from the primary logo, does appear in the The new logo proudly displays the TB backed by the golden sun of the Sunshine State. The Sun has a more traditional burst to it compared to the sparkle and carries on it nine points, one for each player on the field. Some rebrands of the Rays have them dropping the Bay in favor of just being the Tampa Rays and I've never thought that flowed well for starters and it alienates the team from the other area franchises. The Buccaneers, Lightning and Rowdies have all embraced the Bay and have been shown that love back. No matter where the new stadium is put, a team in this position needs to doing everything it can to rally the entire area under its banner.

tumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo3_640.png

The cap takes inspiration from the old Expos but it meant to evoke the Sun breaking from behind clouds on a sunny day. (Or if you don't like rebrand speak, Powder Blue sidepanels with a gold bill just looks solid to me). The decision for a single cap was to keep the brand as simple as possible on the jump and of course BP options and the like would be added later.

tumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo4_640.pngtumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo5_640.png
tumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo7_640.pngtumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo8_640.png
tumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo1_640.pngtumblr_pa8jx6LLSw1ufhi8uo2_640.png

Taking a cue from one of my favorite uniforms, the home whites have the primary logo over the chest alone. The associated wordmark, while not appearing on the uniform, would be the main wordmark stripings for tickets, stadium branding etc.  The road grays show the first use of Ocean Blue but you still get a sense of this being a Sky and Sun team and not another Navy and White squad. For the alternate uniform a lighter shade of the Sky Blue is used as the base which complemented the gold on top rather than a pure Sky base in which the gold was lost a little bit. Too much of a good thing.

tumblr_pa8nil9GdR1ufhi8uo1_640.png

tumblr_pa8nil9GdR1ufhi8uo2_640.png

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

That powder blue jersey is quite nice.

Speaking of, I think the maybe a lighter powder blue would look good thoughout rather than the royal you're using.

I'd either go with one yellow ring around the sun in the logo, or go with multiple blue rings of different shades to represent the sea. It seems a bit off with both the royal blue and yellow.

I also feel the home white is a bit too reserved for such a fun team brand.

It's close, though. For the Rays, perhaps lighter is better!

That sun logo isn’t much to complicated to be on the hat and wordmark. As a primary it may still be too. @vtgco has some great ideas. I like the font. Also ditch the grey on the road and swap it with blue. All that aside it’s a much needed upgrade. It’s not the perfect fit for them right now that’s unique enough to let them stand out from the rest of the league but with some edits you could be there.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I really like this design for the Rays. A few suggestions, though:

- I think the powder blue set could replace the road gray entirely and you can use that medium blue color for the alternate. 

- For presentation's sake, try shrinking the jersey numbers.

Going off of update v2, here are my thoughts:

You've got a bangin' idea here. I like it better than what they actually use.

That said, I'd change a couple of things:

1) I'd match the number font to the wordmark font. Personal preference, but I like to have some congruency between the two.

2) Instead of the medium blue alternate, why not a yellow one? No need for three blues.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

I'm back with Version 3 of the Rebrand! Let's start with the biggest change first
tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo6_640.png

The TB is now in Ocean Blue as is the outline of the sunburst. I think the starker contrast helps the sun and halo pop more. With the new primary logo we have some updates to the main set.

tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo2_640.png

tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo1_640.png
tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo10_640.png
tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo9_640.png
tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo7_640.png
tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo8_640.png

On 6/14/2018 at 6:47 PM, rjrrzube said:

Hyphen in "solar-powered baseball"

This screams for a yellow jersey! 

On 6/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Going off of update v2, here are my thoughts:

You've got a bangin' idea here. I like it better than what they actually use.

That said, I'd change a couple of things:

1) I'd match the number font to the wordmark font. Personal preference, but I like to have some congruency between the two.

2) Instead of the medium blue alternate, why not a yellow one? No need for three blues.

tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo4_640.png

tumblr_pajkz94tRP1ufhi8uo5_640.png

Ask and ye shall receive, gold is now the Home Alternate Uniform, retiring the Ocean Blue Alt. 

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Those powder blues remind me too much of the Brewers.

I say if your theme for these unis is "solar power" then go all in and make that yellow uniform the primary and the basis for this entire identity.

Archived