CFL to bid adieu to Adidas after this season (2018)

johnnysama

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/15/adidas-cfl-apparel-sponsor-season/ - NEWSFLASH: Adidas will no longer be the CFL's uniform/apparel provider after this season.

Who gets it next year? I'd say Nike, as I don't quite see Under Armour getting the contract due to their recent troubles (remember what happened with the MLB 2020 uniform contract). It'd make the most sense, thsuly, for Nike to team up with the CFL next season.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/15/adidas-cfl-apparel-sponsor-season/ - NEWSFLASH: Adidas will no longer be the CFL's uniform/apparel provider after this season.

Who gets it next year? I'd say Nike, as I don't quite see Under Armour getting the contract due to their recent troubles (remember what happened with the MLB 2020 uniform contract). It'd make the most sense, thsuly, for Nike to team up with the CFL next season.

WOW!!!! I could see Under Armour working well for the CFL but would expect Nike to take over. Hamilton, Winnipeg and Toronto are almost perfect but the rest of the gang could use a new look, especially the three teams using the same template with just the color panels changed out. Ottawa and Calgary should never look like copies of each other.  I had to laugh at someone suggesting Lululemon start making football gear. Roots could be a good partner but I'm sure the league wants a big name instead. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Interesting.

I have a feeling it won't be Nike...it's literally nothing more than a feeling tough. This could be a good opportunity Under Armor. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

18 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Interesting.

I have a feeling it won't be Nike...it's literally nothing more than a feeling tough. This could be a good opportunity Under Armor. 

With adidas in charge of the NHL I could see Nike doing this to remind Canadians about their deal with Hockey Canada through stadium branding. The swoosh would still be king over everything but it'd make sense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

With adidas in charge of the NHL I could see Nike doing this to remind Canadians about their deal with Hockey Canada through stadium branding. The swoosh would still be king over everything but it'd make sense. 

I don't know if Nike really cares that much, but I certainly see how your point makes sense

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

28 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I don't know the specific issues that Under Armour faced beyond simple financial stress, but the CFL is an objectively smaller undertaking than MLB. I wouldn't cout Under Armour out just yet.

I would. They've regrettably committed to overpaying for their existing ncaa outfitting deals and dumping product at brick and mortar retail. I don't think cfl is worth the trouble. I think this may end up being a deal that goes to a 2nd tier brand or a direct to consumer model via fanatics.

I think you're underestimating the popularity of the CFL in western Canada. 

I remember in 2011 (which I realize was a while ago now) the "riders outsold ALL Canadian professional teams besides the leafs and habs

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

I don't know the specific issues that Under Armour faced beyond simple financial stress, but the CFL is an objectively smaller undertaking than MLB. I wouldn't cout Under Armour out just yet.

Would they get a deal similar to the Arena League though, where they're just supplying uniforms and fan gear? I could see them signing off on that with a caveat that they'd pay more out if certain sales thresholds get met. I just want them making each team their own look, not the templated uniforms they hand out to the AFL.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

I would. They've regrettably committed to overpaying for their existing ncaa outfitting deals and dumping product at brick and mortar retail. I don't think cfl is worth the trouble. I think this may end up being a deal that goes to a 2nd tier brand or a direct to consumer model via fanatics.

I'd much rather see it go the latter route, if I had the choice, personally.

UBwef0L.png

17 minutes ago, insert name said:

Didn't Adidas sign with CFL like, yesterday? 

They were with Reebok, but Reebok stopped manufacturing sports uniforms and started focusing more on athletic clothing. Hence why CFL and NHL are now supplied by Adidas, the parent company of Reebok.

I'd support an Under Armour supplied CFL. It's only 9 teams so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Plus, the NFL, NBA, and soon MLB are all supplied by Nike. I get they're the most popular brand in the world, but sometimes too much of one thing is bad.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

What else would typically be supplied in a uniform deal?

Cash up front and also paid out yearly. The CFL wouldn't be able to get the same kind of deals the NFL got. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived