CFL to bid adieu to Adidas after this season (2018)

johnnysama

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I wouldn't mind that at all either...or even Starter! 

Champion made top quality uniforms up until they lost notre dame which was their death knell as a outfitter. They also did not have a proprietary moisture wicking fabric to compete in the uniform arms race with nike.

1 minute ago, guest23 said:

Yes

I think it was in the late '90s but I remember Rawlings outfitted some MLB teams.  I had an authentic (I think it was Oakland) and I recall the Rawlings jerseys had a very nice fit and finish to them.  Much better than the authentic Russell jerseys at the time IMO.

17 hours ago, insert name said:

Didn't Adidas sign with CFL like, yesterday? 

Two years ago, taking over from Reebok, which Adidas owns. It was more of a transition than a takeover than anything else, I believe.

UBwef0L.png

49 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

Two years ago, taking over from Reebok, which Adidas owns. It was more of a transition than a takeover than anything else, I believe.

I think it was adidas making Reebok solely a fitness line and "uniform" supplier for UFC and the Crossfit Games.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I wouldn't mind that at all either...or even Starter! 

Starter brand still exist?

While we're all throwing second tier suppliers in the hat, why not Wilson? lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Champion made top quality uniforms up until they lost notre dame which was their death knell as a outfitter. They also did not have a proprietary moisture wicking fabric to compete in the uniform arms race with nike.

I don't know about that. Target sells Champion fitness gear. From my first hand use I felt that Champion's fitness gear wicks moisture the same the way the big brands do. Whether or not Champion can translate that to football uniforms remains to be seen. However, the fact that they've still made uniforms for high school and low level college teams all these years suggest that they probably can.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Starter brand still exist?

While we're all throwing second tier suppliers in the hat, why not Wilson? lol

Starter and Champion have found a bit of a new life as premium collaborators with fashion/streetwear brands while also being sold out as low price point discount product to the walmarts/targets of the world.

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I don't know about that. Target sells Champion fitness gear. From my first hand use I felt that Champion's fitness gear wicks moisture the same the way the big brands do. Whether or not Champion can translate that to football uniforms remains to be seen. However, the fact that they've still made uniforms for high school and low level college teams all these years suggest that they probably can.

Should have clarified the context that I was referring to was football uniforms in particular of which nike had a head start. From what I recall champion did not get into that market for workout gear later down the road at budget price points.

Rawlings does make unis for the High School and College levels and they actually have a nice quality option.  However, MLB just bought Rawlings.  I doubt providing unis for the CFL is something that's on their radar.

Champion & Starter - Wal-Mart was selling Starter-branded product for awhile, but now the vintage-inspired Starter gear is sold (I think) exclusively on Amazon.  Champion has made a similar vintage-inspired resurgence but I doubt either will last long, and they won't be manufacturing uniforms.  Champion-branded athletic-wear, as pointed out, is sold at Target.

UA could make a play but who knows.

If anything, I'd bet on Russell.  Augusta Sportswear just partnered with Russell to manufacture uniforms for them again.  The CFL would be a solid re-entry into the market.

Alleson & Badger merged last year, and they've been rumbling about the uniform business.  Alleson manufactures a lot of UA product, including their custom ArmourFuse sublimated line.

Siege Sports is a fully-sublimated uniform company that is the official uniform provider of USA Football's U.S. National Team, but I don't know if they could handle the load of the CFL.

So yeah, not many options outside of Nike or UA with adidas out of the picture.

My bet is on Nike.  They already sponsor some Canadian university teams, so it wouldn't be a stretch to think they would take on the CFL.  It might not be a massive deal, but one where the more merchandise that sells, the more the league gets.

As far as new looks, it's only been 2 years.  I think the only teams that really need to change are the Calgary Stampeders, Saskatchewan Roughriders, and Ottawa Redblacks.  BC Lions need to change out the helmet logo, but even then, I'll settle for them just getting rid of the tramp stamp logo.  Hamilton Ti-Cats probably need to ditch the logo on the sleeves.  Everyone else is fine.  Even Montreal.

There are rumours circulating among some Argo fans that the new owners, MLSE, are seriously considering a return to the boat logo (or perhaps some modern variation of it). It has been used on secondary merch for past couple of seasons. MLSE returned the Leafs to a variation of their "classic" 1960s logo so it seems possible they would go classic with the Argos as well. I've long advocated for the return of the boat but I've come to love the current look of the unis although I wish they would avoid using same colour for pants and upper socks (they sometimes do, sometimes don't). So either way, I'll probably be happy.

Archived