CCSLC Board Technical Issues

10 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Let's just put the reoccurring ad issues aside and charge a premium fee. I would NOT complain with a $20 annual fee to keep these issues from happening to me, and to everyone else on the boards.

It’s not nearly that simple. There’s certainly a lot of analysis And math involved in determine the fee and any potential plans, then the technical factors involved with implementing them. You say $20, and while that might work, it also might not even be close to equaling the lost revenue, considering only a very small percentage will likely pay it. Of course, if there were also the free plan, that could actually work to the relatively small number that will pay could actually benefit the site, provided the absurd ads don’t drive the free people away. Just saying, it’s not reasonable to expect to hear “ok, just pay $X and the ads will go away” any time soon, unless it’s been in the works already for a while. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I know Chris needs ad’s to generate revenue  for the site, that’s fine. But these new ads that completely cover all borders and won’t let you even click on anyting till you “x” of the ad is a tad annoying to say the least and ruins this site. Plus some cover like like 25% of the dang page. Just trying to help with feedback.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, officeglenn said:

That's fair. As a moderator, I can tell you these posts have been received and the concerns passed on to @CC97. He is in constant contact with the ad servers trying to get these issues resolved. 

Let me make one thing clear though.

Moderators have absolutely no control over any issues involving board ads. We can let Chris know about this thread but that’s the extent of what we can do.  It’s ultimately an issue for the ad network to figure out.

VmWIn6B.png

27 minutes ago, LMU said:

Moderators have absolutely no control over any issues involving board ads. We can let Chris know about this thread but that’s the extent of what we can do.  It’s ultimately an issue for the ad network to figure out.

I think we all know the mods jobs, but they’re our only liaison hence the comments here. Nobody expects you or Ice Cap to implement some new system, and especially not that non-pee-flap-using weirdo Infrared. 

As as for the bolder, not sure that’s the case unless there’s long term contracts. I have no idea how any of this works, except that I’m sure it’s more complicated than I or anyone here thinks. I think an occasional “hey, chatted with CC and it’s still being worked on” or “chatted with CC and f u” are fair. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There must be a reason that some people are seeing these obtrusive ads and some (like me) are seeing only the normal ads at the bottom of the page.  If it were something with the site itself, then these ads would be affecting everyone.  So a good guess is that the issue involves the phones and the computers of the affected users; therefore, there would be nothing that anyone at the site could do to remedy the problem.

On the issue of charging a fee: this might be a mistake in terms of losing eyeballs.  Remember when the board was readable only by members?  During that period its profile dropped drastically.  Soon after the board returned to being available to all readers, I put a link to the board in a comment on Uni Watch.  Paul Lukas responded that he didn't want to give links to a members-only site.  I had to tell him that the board had gone back to being avaliable to everyone.  Nowadays, Lukas mentions the board frequently; this surely drives users over to here, which is something that has got to please the advertisers.

If merely making the board members-only dropped its profile to the degree that Lukas didn't follow it, then charging a fee (however low) will drop it even further.  I don't know the numbers involved, but any fee would have to make up for the lost advertising revenue as some advertisers leave due to reduced traffic.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 minutes ago, jlnhlfan said:

I was at 

and I'm not seeing any images until about halfway down the first page.

Pls help

It appears that the site the OP of that thread was using to host images is either not working properly or no longer exists. There's nothing we can do about from the boards side of things. OP would have to move those images to a new site and relink them.

8 hours ago, LMU said:

Oh I know that, I was merely letting  you know so he can know. I’m on mobile as well most times and idk If the ads are affecting desktop versions or what. Again just my info.

I’m just a humble board member, don’t know much about ad buying and all, but these border ads are the worst ad unit I’ve ever seen. The bottom banner ads are slightly annoying but a minor inconvenience. These border ads make me want to throw my phone at the wall. It makes the site nearly unusable on mobile.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, DDR said:

I’m just a humble board member, don’t know much about ad buying and all, but these border ads are the worst ad unit I’ve ever seen. The bottom banner ads are slightly annoying but a minor inconvenience. These border ads make me want to throw my phone at the wall. It makes the site nearly unusable on mobile.

I’ve thought about walking away until those ads are gone 

• Like 1

So, were the popups replaces for those ads that go all around the border and make it so you can’t click anywhere on the page until it goes away (since the whole page is now a hitbox for the ad)? Those are so much more infuriating. I’m considering just giving up on trying to use this site on mobile.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

2wgb2nc.png

So now there are actually COMPETING bottom ads - one eventually gives you a little x on the right, the other on the left. They “stack” while forming, then eventually (once the border ad goes away) take their place at the bottom. 

The thjng is, while they’re stacked (the shaded area in my screen shot) you’re locked - you cannot click on anything without waiting for all the ads to form and take their places, then x them out, which is hard without actually clicking on them. Only then can I click anything. 

Im open to the idea that maybe it’s something on my iPhone, except that it’s ONLY this site, and restarting hasn’t changed anything, which is 99.9% all you have to do when an iPhone develops weird behavior like this. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

2wgb2nc.png

So now there are actually COMPETING bottom ads - one eventually gives you a little x on the right, the other on the left. They “stack” while forming, then eventually (once the border ad goes away) take their place at the bottom. 

The thjng is, while they’re stacked (the shaded area in my screen shot) you’re locked - you cannot click on anything without waiting for all the ads to form and take their places, then x them out, which is hard without actually clicking on them. Only then can I click anything. 

Im open to the idea that maybe it’s something on my iPhone, except that it’s ONLY this site, and restarting hasn’t changed anything, which is 99.9% all you have to do when an iPhone develops weird behavior like this. 

It's not a iPhone thing. It happens in my Android too. It's getting very annoying, but I can't stay away from the boards, so I'll live with it!

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

On 10/6/2018 at 7:37 PM, DDR said:

Absolutely. They are driving me buggy.

3 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Not sure about everyone else, but it seems like the amount of full page border ads I’ve been getting recently has decreased dramatically. 

I tried to access via mobile this morning, and couldn't even click a forum section due to the border ad. I'll probably just not use mobile until I see that there aren't issues anymore. I can navigate on computer, so that isn't an issue.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.