Colleges In Need For A Logo Rebrand

graydon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChicagoOakland said:

They're not the only D2 school in central North Carolina that needs an update.

maxresdefault.jpg

Take the talons off Saint Augustine's logo, and I'd personally consider it an upgrade.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I was an undergrad when they released this logo, and back then I thought it looked like a beaver, not a cougar. SIUE has had some boring and generic logos, but at least they looked like a cougar.

ACSszfGpzdwc3QBwv9WeeBx0-zsGf3dHRlAplijo

As an SIUE alum, and anyone who attended there can tell you, "fighting geese" would be a more appropriate nickname since students have to fight off mating Canadian geese every spring as they walk through campus. (Picture from SIUE campus)

seiu_geese.jpg

11 hours ago, schtee said:

I couldn't agree more! They should go school-wide with their gorgeous basketball wordmark:

shamorie_main.jpg

As for an "ST. J" logo, I've always liked the one on their old baseball caps, even though it's similar to the St. Louis Cards:

FViola.jpg

I don't agree. That wordmark comes off like a Red Sox rip-off and the St. J is cool but rips off the Cardinals. 

I like their logo, but it's better with just the St. J rather than the full name. The little T is clever and even though I don't pay attention to St. John's at all, this logo is very recognizable to me as their brand.

St._John's_Athletics_logo.png

20 minutes ago, OaklandIsBack said:

Can't decide if it's so bad it's good or if I just like it 

The rendering could be improved, but I also like the general idea.

My biggest issue is with the goatee. 

Pointy goatee = devil.

Pencil-thin goatee = creepy pervy dude.

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

I am going to have to go with my alma mater, Indiana U. because all they have is the monogram.   Sure, there is the striped pants thing, and they have a script "Indiana", but with no mascot and only a flat, 1-color monogram, they need to do more.  Even adding beveling would be an improvement.  I still argue that they need to modernize the Buffalo mascot they used briefly in the past, or develop a new one.  This is not enough.  Even Penn State, known for minimalist design in uniforms, has more of a logo package than IU. 

resources-trident.jpg

So basically, they’ve done a really good job cleaning up their brand over the last 20 years, and you think they should muck it up all over again? ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

30 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

So basically, they’ve done a really good job cleaning up their brand over the last 20 years, and you think they should muck it up all over again? ?

Basically I am saying their "cleaned up" brand, is boring.  I am all for having a single brand over all sports, but this is all there is and it is not enough.   Of course they should have a coherent brand, and the IU monogram needs to be a big part of it, but it is not enough.  They can and should expand on the brand to offer people more to work with. 

5 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

They're not the only D2 school in central North Carolina that needs an update.

maxresdefault.jpg

That Fayetteville State logo looks like they made 3 different attempts at creating it and then just put the 3 together when they couldn’t decide which one to use. 

7 hours ago, WideRight said:

I am going to have to go with my alma mater, Indiana U. because all they have is the monogram.   Sure, there is the striped pants thing, and they have a script "Indiana", but with no mascot and only a flat, 1-color monogram, they need to do more.  Even adding beveling would be an improvement.  I still argue that they need to modernize the Buffalo mascot they used briefly in the past, or develop a new one.  This is not enough.  Even Penn State, known for minimalist design in uniforms, has more of a logo package than IU. 

resources-trident.jpg

Seriously?  That logo is everything a good collegiate logo is... simple, yet distinctive and iconic.  They don't even need another one.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, graydon said:

I would also say that the Charlotte 49'ers also is a little bit puzzling. Never really understood it unless there is a deeper meaning behind it.

BV_XkpDk_400x400.jpg

Well the arm is in the shape of a "C", as in Charlotte, and the mining theme is a reference to the Carolina Gold Rush, which happened around the area (I've been to a shut-down gold mine!).

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Well the arm is in the shape of a "C", as in Charlotte, and the mining theme is a reference to the Carolina Gold Rush, which happened around the area (I've been to a shut-down gold mine!).

Good justification, but it doesn’t make it any better of a logo! The black (?) adds nothing but muck. The font looks awful. Some disease that turns your hand gold has gotten the guy. And how the heck is his arm in that position. 

8 hours ago, scraw28 said:

Missouri

You mean MIZZOU? Someone needs to burn that whole identity to the ground and build a new one.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

11 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So they made an Eagle out of chrome and dipped it in olive oil?  Works for me.

Live right next door to NU and my parents both work there. I see this thing all the time and its painful.

spacer.png

Archived