Atypical and Defunct Uniform Suppliers of Note

The CFL thread inspired me to start an open thread of posting some of the more interesting and former uniform suppliers spanning the 20th-21st century.

Some examples off the top of my head:

• Halas had his own sportswear brand that outfitted the Bears
  • McGregor
  • Wilson/Wilson Staff
  • Aeropostale
  • Descente (non winter sports)
  • Sand Knit (were they part of McGregor?)
  • Zubaz

There are no wrong answers here just a pure nostalgia discussion for those who want to participate.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember for a few years in the mid 90s, No Fear outfitted a number of Arena league teams.

Not sure how big of a player Majestic is in cricket, but they're the suppliers for Australia's Big Bash League (which you might have caught on NBCSN)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

The CFL thread inspired me to start an open thread of posting some of the more interesting and former uniform suppliers spanning the 20th-21st century.

Some examples off the top of my head:

• Halas had his own sportswear brand that outfitted the Bears
  • McGregor
  • Wilson/Wilson Staff
  • Aeropostale
  • Descente (non winter sports)
  • Sand Knit (were they part of McGregor?)
  • Zubaz

There are no wrong answers here just a pure nostalgia discussion for those who want to participate.

Re: Sand Knit: Yes. They were part of MacGregor from 1984ish until they went under in 1990; before that, they were owned by Medalist. Sand Knit's Berlin, Wisconsin plant was inherited by Ripon Athletic in 1992. You may not know this, but they provide uniforms to quite a few teams to the NFL and CFL as a silent partner; they just make them, and put Nike or Adidas' name on it when it's finished.

UBwef0L.png

13 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

What sport was Aeropostale in?  I never knew this.

They made UConn's football unis in early-mid 2000s

IMG_0716.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Eagle made Flyers sweaters for a few years in the '80s.  

Also, Mitchell and Ness made Eagles, Athletics, and Phillies on-field uniforms for decades.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Also, Mitchell and Ness made Eagles, Athletics, and Phillies on-field uniforms for decades.

How long was Mitchell and Ness around before they became and online throwback shop?

The former Fab Knit company based in Waco, TX made the WLAF jerseys for 1997.

FabKnitlogo.jpg.w300h265.jpg

4 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I remember for a few years in the mid 90s, No Fear outfitted a number of Arena league teams.

Not sure how big of a player Majestic is in cricket, but they're the suppliers for Australia's Big Bash League (which you might have caught on NBCSN)

Brisbane Lions from the AFL Australia also.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And1, and there was that one company that made San Jose State unis in 2001. Maybe New Balance, too?

Did the Australian NBL and NZ NBL also

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

13 hours ago, tigers said:

Brisbane Lions from the AFL Australia also.

I'll be damned...just checked it out.  Majestic just specializes in baseball on our side of the Pacific, never seen anything non-bat and ball from em til just now.  Guess going into cricket + focusing on HS ball and below is where Majestic's future is, what with MLB switching to Nike in a few years.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 6/16/2018 at 9:38 PM, WSU151 said:

And1, and there was that one company that made San Jose State unis in 2001. Maybe New Balance, too?

The San Jose State supplier was "4-Players-Only," which was a Texas-based startup that, as far as I can tell, never outfitted any other major program.

ncf_g_sanjose12_600.jpgncf_g_sanjose13_400.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

On 6/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

They also made the Philadelphia Soul AFL team's jerseys when Bon Jovi owned the team. 

1971+Orioles+Orange+Jerseys.png

If you read the text on the left, it says the uniforms were "sold to the Orioles by Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods" and "made by Powers Manufacturing."

Brooks+Robinson+Sporting+Goods+Tag.jpg

This tag may or may not be from those uniforms.  I don't see a tag on the example above, so my guess is it is not from those uniforms.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived