Atypical and Defunct Uniform Suppliers of Note

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

The San Jose State supplier was "4-Players-Only," which was a Texas-based startup that, as far as I can tell, never outfitted any other major program.

ncf_g_sanjose12_600.jpg

These might be the ugliest college football unis I've ever seen, and that's REALLY saying something.

Pretty tragic, because there's an interesting backstory behind them.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before becoming an association football supplier/boot maker, New Balance was the outfitter for CMU's football uniforms. They also were Wyoming's(?) provider before Nike tookovercm-07-08-allmaroon-andyaltenburger-620x4

3856658263_ac8ab9a8c6_o.jpg

Can someone tell me who manufacturer this is when Manhattan basketball wore these in early 2000s?  It had the crazy "A" on their shorts, but I do not think it is Aerostaple. I know the company doesn't exist making these unis anymore, otherwise I would hear more about them.  I know several other college basketball teams wore them as well, but this is the one I could find.  BTW:  This is the best photo I can find.

Holmes gets fouled : News Photo

11 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

The San Jose State supplier was "4-Players-Only," which was a Texas-based startup that, as far as I can tell, never outfitted any other major program.

ncf_g_sanjose12_600.jpgncf_g_sanjose13_400.jpg

Did San Jose St use to play in a baseball stadium? Looks like they are sitting in a dugout...

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Did Starter outfit some NFL teams, or am I remembering wrong? I know Puma did.

Yes, they did.  In the late '90s there were even a few teams outfitted by Logo Athletic.  I believe they also did the draft hats for a few years.

Re: Starter: They also supplied jerseys to some NHL teams (and for all teams at retail) during the 1990s as well. I've stated in the past how Starter's NHL jerseys sold at retail were of VERY high quality, almost on par with the on-field models.

UBwef0L.png

On 6/19/2018 at 1:09 AM, WBeltz said:

Before becoming an association football supplier/boot maker, New Balance was the outfitter for CMU's football uniforms. They also were Wyoming's(?) provider before Nike tookovercm-07-08-allmaroon-andyaltenburger-620x4

3856658263_ac8ab9a8c6_o.jpg

Let's not forget that New Balance is the current uniform supplier of Maine Black Bears football...

566557-20160901_umaine_4-845x1024.jpg

The ultimate one is probably Apex. You just know the sports world took note of how unique you can make a uniform. They were thinking outside the box and I like that even if most of the designs weren't that good, atleast they were trying something new at the time.

fe4099f1f152dd5a8a8861cdaa6308a2.jpg

nov-1995-chris-darkins-of-the-minnesta-g

228d25f0715c627ffcd1a26d057e8546.jpg

3495063_orig.jpg

5618495_orig.jpg

291050.jpg

351755.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

On 6/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, leopard88 said:

1971+Orioles+Orange+Jerseys.png

If you read the text on the left, it says the uniforms were "sold to the Orioles by Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods" and "made by Powers Manufacturing."

Brooks+Robinson+Sporting+Goods+Tag.jpg

This tag may or may not be from those uniforms.  I don't see a tag on the example above, so my guess is it is not from those uniforms.

I actually have a Powers jersey from 1987, it was the Miami Hurricanes baseball teams supplier. Looked like great quality. Time has taken a beating on the elasticity of the double knit over the 30 years though.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The ultimate one is probably Apex. You just know the sports world took note of how unique you can make a uniform. They were thinking outside the box and I like that even if most of the designs weren't that good, atleast they were trying something new at the time.

fe4099f1f152dd5a8a8861cdaa6308a2.jpg

nov-1995-chris-darkins-of-the-minnesta-g

228d25f0715c627ffcd1a26d057e8546.jpg

3495063_orig.jpg

5618495_orig.jpg

291050.jpg

351755.jpg

Is it more important to try something new or to put out a great final product? At any rate, trying something new doesn’t seem to carry the same respect in this day and age. What are your thoughts on the way teams try new things today vs. back then?

My personal opinion on Apex is that they were a one-trick pony. All those football jerseys are essentially the same idea.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I knew about most of these but I did not know Mitchell and Ness ever produced anything on-field nor that they've been around since 1904.

That said, I don't know if any news I've ever seen on here has floored me as much as the fact that Aeropostale supplied D-1 uniforms.  Wow.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

32812_01_lg.jpg

For their first 20 years of existence (1960-80), the Dallas Cowboys' uniforms were supplied by the locally based (Terrell, Texas) Southland Athletic Company, which gave the team their uniquely-styled block numerals.

UBwef0L.png

• 4 months later...
On 6/18/2018 at 7:57 PM, orangefaniniowa said:

Can someone tell me who manufacturer this is when Manhattan basketball wore these in early 2000s?  It had the crazy "A" on their shorts, but I do not think it is Aerostaple. I know the company doesn't exist making these unis anymore, otherwise I would hear more about them.  I know several other college basketball teams wore them as well, but this is the one I could find.  BTW:  This is the best photo I can find.

https://www.instagram.com/athletes_basketball/

On 6/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, orangefaniniowa said:

I want to say that Anarchy made those, but it's been so long ago i may be wrong!

sms.gif

Archived