Memphis Grizzlies Appear to be Tweaking Logos

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lee Noire said:

I still miss the teal, red, black, and brown.

lol you mean teal, blood, black, and poo? Wait this isn't working help

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Grey doesn't compliment well with this identity. Either red, Brown, or light blue.

Agreed, grey is unnecessary. Reminds me of the Titans adding it for no reason. 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:27 PM, the admiral said:

One more time for the world: Memphis's colors should be brown and columbia

I flip-flop between brown/powder blue and brown/turquoise/metallic gold for them. I do kind of like them to have a bit of an Ancient Egypt (as filtered through a sports team) vibe.

This new tweak just looks muddy on the primary. The alternate is decent enough, while the new font is an upgrade. It’s still uninspired, and doesn’t bring much to a somewhat overused color scheme/very average logo set.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I flip-flop between brown/powder blue and brown/turquoise/metallic gold for them. I do kind of like them to have a bit of an Ancient Egypt (as filtered through a sports team) vibe.

I'm not sure if I like connecting the Grizzlies with the Memphis of ancient Egypt when there's so much you can do with the actual Memphis right there. Though I think I would like it if it meant the Memphis Grizzlies all became hoteps. Did you know James Naismith was actually black? The history books won't say it, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Yeah, the addition of grey really muddles the look. It's like they wanna take over both the Pacers & Nuggets prior identities while still being the Grizzlies in a sense. 

I hope this whole gray fad a lot of the league is going through right now dies off soon. Teams using ugly gray jerseys like the Pistons, Celtics, and Wolves come to mind as particularly egregious offenders.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:17 AM, Shadojoker said:

Grey doesn't compliment well with this identity. Either red, Brown, or light blue.

It looks like you used the old smokey blue (or whatever it was called) on the paw logo instead of the other blue. I thought they were phasing out the lighter blue? 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think that’s a stretch. Unintended at best. 

It’s understated, sure, but that doesn’t necessarily signify a lack of intention. Honestly, it was the very first thing I noticed about the logo. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think that’s a stretch. Unintended at best. 

Normally, I would agree, but I also don’t believe they’d change the orientation of a mark they’ve used for twenty years “just because.” The only formal difference to point to is the natural symmetry of the claws in the new one, so I think there’s something to it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 6/24/2018 at 8:48 AM, the admiral said:

I'm not sure if I like connecting the Grizzlies with the Memphis of ancient Egypt when there's so much you can do with the actual Memphis right there. Though I think I would like it if it meant the Memphis Grizzlies all became hoteps. Did you know James Naismith was actually black? The history books won't say it, though.

58MW31t.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Normally, I would agree, but I also don’t believe they’d change the orientation of a mark they’ve used for twenty years “just because.” The only formal difference to point to is the natural symmetry of the claws in the new one, so I think there’s something to it.

Yeah, I'm still not buying it. 

Had they shaded the rightmost claw, then maybe.  But as it is, the M is too muddled to work as a conscious choice.

Archived