Carolina Hurricanes Unveil New Black Third Uniform

Carolina Hurricanes Unveil New Black Third Uniform

June 22, 2018 - 22:59 PM

The Carolina Hurricanes are advising you “take warning” to the fact the club has unveiled their new alternate/third uniform, one which updates some old looks worn by the club while also introducing some North Carolina state pride. One of two […]

Read More...

I like it.  I’ve always preferred that logo and the lack of white is a very “alternate” thing.  I’m not sure about the gray yoke but it’s not a deal-breaker for me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Probably could have just been a red yoke instead of grey with red trim, might have matched the rest of the striping well. I don't hate the logo on the jersey (reminds me of those retail-only logos they used to make), but its an odd proportion for a sports logo, being so vertical and all... I question how it will look scaled on merch.

That’s...hideous.

The pencil thin outline around the flags is what kills it for me. It reminds me of when I first started “designing” logos by coloring pencil drawings in Photoshop. It just looks amateur. 

While I give the team credit for using the correct number of flags (unlike the previous third), the logo is just too tall and narrow to look right on the front of the jersey.

The only thing about the design that I find redeeming is the double flag C they used in the press release.

Close to being good, in spite of the return of the all-time-bad ghost shoulder patches, but the white outlines on the logo ruin the dark angsty look, and the execution of the flags is piss poor. Too hard to distinguish the heathered stripes from the fabric texture in the pictures I've seen so far.

Meh. It looks like a generic jersey a team in my old roller hockey league would have. I feel like either killing the white outline or adding some white or silver elsewhere in the jersey would go a long way.

I think the crest looks absolutely spectacular.  It's beautifully rendered, shows an actual hurricane warning (for once) and has a state outline included as an easter egg.  It's the rest of the uniform that sinks the look.  Why have a "storm grey" shoulder yoke if you're not going to feature the colour anywhere else?  Making the pants the same colour would go a long way to achieving some balance.  The other issue is having the red stripes directly on black.  They went to trouble of adding a completely unnecessary heathered pattern, what would be so difficult about a white or grey outline.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I think the crest looks absolutely spectacular.  It's beautifully rendered,

Explain to me what’s going on with the bottom flag. Please.

As a Canes fan, my initial reaction was being underwhelmed. As the last 24 hours have progressed and I've seen it over and over again with all of the draft coverage on Twitter, etc., I must say I'm a fan. I get what folks are saying with the "Minor League" feel, but now when looking at the old secondary I'm more of a fan of the new one. Didn't think I'd get on board this soon!

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

I like the logo and the idea for the jerseys. I actually think that the grey yoke and "ghosted" shoulder patches are awesome for an alternate. My biggest problem is that there isn't nearly enough grey elsewhere ion the jersey. The dimensions of the logo are a bit awkward, but it's still a well-designed logo and I love the negative space state outline too. If there was some grey in the striping, it would be perfect overall imo.

Archived