DiePerske

2018 CFL Season: The March for 106

Recommended Posts

Regretfully, Ricky Ray is done for the year (and probably for his career). But at least I got a replica championship ring at the home opener.
argos%202017%20ring.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2018 at 11:07 AM, Magnus said:

Regretfully, Ricky Ray is done for the year (and probably for his career). But at least I got a replica championship ring at the home opener.
argos%202017%20ring.jpg

I heard something happened to him, but didn't get any deets.  What's the story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, for his future health, this needs to be the end of the road for Ricky. So many injuries over the past few years.

 

As an Argos fan, I don't want it to be the case but I'm sure he would land a job in the office with the Argos right away. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 9:08 PM, Mac the Knife said:

I just found out that Jerry Glanville is the DC in Hamilton.  WTF?

Yeah, he was hired on in Feb. I found it weird too since he'd been away from the game for some time.

 

But....I find a lot of things that Hamilton does weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, for those who enjoy the CFL but who (i) don't have ESPN (cord cutter) and (ii) won't pay for ESPN+, CFL broadcasts, edited to remove commercials and halftime intermissions, are put out by "CFL Insider" the day after each game is played.  If you can keep away from checking CFL scores for 24 hours, you will absolutely be delighted in being able to plow through a game in just about 2 hours total time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, Mac the Knife said:

I just found out that Jerry Glanville is the DC in Hamilton.  WTF?

 

Will he be leaving tickets in the will call window at the stadium for Elvis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see at least his first game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Hamilton has traded Johnny Manziel to Montreal 

 

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/22/report-ticats-als-close-manziel-deal/

 

Woah...  I knew the Alouettes have been desperate for a quarterback since Anthony Calvillo, but I didn't think they were that desperate...

 

Meanwhile, Johnny Manziel goes from being a bust in Cleveland to not even taking a snap in a regular season game for Hamilton.  That's gotta help your ego, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I know Manziel is a "name" or whatever but Jeremiah Masoli has been playing really well. There's no reason Manziel should have got into a game.

I don't really see it as ego damaging. He'll get a chance in Montreal with Mike Sherman, none the less. Might be a better fit for Maziel anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

 

Woah...  I knew the Alouettes have been desperate for a quarterback since Anthony Calvillo, but I didn't think they were that desperate...

 

Meanwhile, Johnny Manziel goes from being a bust in Cleveland to not even taking a snap in a regular season game for Hamilton.  That's gotta help your ego, eh?

Hard to replace a guy with three 300 yard games so far this year. The Ti-Cats have stumbled the last couple games but Masolli's been spot on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Hard to replace a guy with three 300 yard games so far this year. The Ti-Cats have stumbled the last couple games but Masolli's been spot on. 

Believe it or not, it's actually nine 300 yard passing games, in a row! A new CFL record (EDIT, I stand corrected, ties a CFL record)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't exactly follow the CFL as much as I want to, but I have a question or two..

 

why does it seem like every year there's a large amount of trades happening? Is there no set trade deadline?

 

Compared to the NFL, the CFL dwarfs the NFL when it comes to in season trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I don't exactly follow the CFL as much as I want to, but I have a question or two..

 

why does it seem like every year there's a large amount of trades happening? Is there no set trade deadline?

 

Compared to the NFL, the CFL dwarfs the NFL when it comes to in season trades.

There is one, it's October 10 this year.

 

As for why you see more trades? I'm sure there's a number of reasons i.e. injuries. (which is why we had the Manziel trade) but another element you have in the CFL that you really don't in the NFL is players being added midseason that go right to the main roster. Usually that's someone who couldn't catch on in the NFL and joins a CFL team and suddenly one team is looking to make a trade to either a- insure they have enough Canadians on their roster/don't have too many imports or b- need to move money. (The CFL salary cap is 5.2 mil this year. You can go over but you will either get fined or loose draft picks). 

 

I guess that doesn't really answer your question per say but that's a few reasons I can think of, off the top of my head, you may see more trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick CFL question I am hoping someone can help me with.

 

Why does it seem so rare for teams to play divisional games.  We are 5 weeks in and Calgary is 5-0 but has yet to play a divisonal game.  Toronto (and I think Montreal too) also have not played any divisional games.  


You have 2 divisions, an 18 week season, shouldn't something like 12 of the games be divisional games?  Why so many crossover games. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WideRight said:

A quick CFL question I am hoping someone can help me with.

 

Why does it seem so rare for teams to play divisional games.  We are 5 weeks in and Calgary is 5-0 but has yet to play a divisonal game.  Toronto (and I think Montreal too) also have not played any divisional games.  


You have 2 divisions, an 18 week season, shouldn't something like 12 of the games be divisional games?  Why so many crossover games. 

 

 

I'm sure it partially has to do with stadium availability. But the CFL does actually have more divisional games than cross division. May just be a fluke it's worked out that way this year? 

 

Teams play eighteen regular season games, playing two divisional opponents three times and all of the other teams (cross division games) twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

why does it seem like every year there's a large amount of trades happening? Is there no set trade deadline?

 

A big part of it is that teams have to keep under the league-imposed salary cap, which is so rigidly enforced that within the past decade they added an entire article to the league constitution (Article XVI) just to address it.  The cap floats from year to year, but unlike the NFL or NBA, it doesn't automatically go up every year.  Consequently, teams don't tend to make long-term commitments to players out of fear that they're going to have cap problems two, three years down the line.

 

17 minutes ago, WideRight said:

You have 2 divisions, an 18 week season, shouldn't something like 12 of the games be divisional games?  Why so many crossover games. 

 

Because it's problematic from an overall fan interest perspective to do it otherwise and maintain an 18 game regular season schedule.  The only way to make an 18 game slate work with more emphasis on intradivisional play would be to have the Eastern teams play each other 4 times (12 games), the Western teams play each other 3 times (12 games), and then from there piece together a schedule in which 4 Eastern teams and 5 Western teams combine to play each other 6 times in total.  It's doable, but it's problematic.

 

A 16 game regular season schedule would fix it just by balancing things so that everyone played everyone else home-and-home.  A 10th team would fix it by balancing things so that everyone played everyone else home-and-home.  But the CFL being the ever-quirky CFL of course does neither.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now