PowderedWater

International Hockey League: The 1977 Story

Alright, let’s assume that the AHL went under after the 1977-78 season, as it almost did in real life. The IHL was doing pretty well for itself, so naturally the AHL would be absorbed. What if the NHL went on strike in 1994 and again in 2005, ripening the IHL into a full-on competitor? Well, here’s that story.

Here’s the current IHL logo in 2018:

DgvmnRBUwAIYFb9?format=jpg

Teams for the 1978-79 Season (logos and jerseys as well as modern interpretations will be edited in in a few days) Yes, they will be higher quality!

Fort Wayne Komets

Home:

Dg-NRQXUYAE4g8b?format=jpg

Away:

DhsEw7mU0AAPZSc?format=jpg

Muskegon Mohawks

Port Huron Flags

Grand Rapids Owls

Flint Generals

Saginaw Gears

Kalamazoo Wings

Toledo Goaldiggers

Milwaukee Admirals

Hershey Bears

Rochester Americans

Nova Scotia Voyageurs

New Haven Nighthawks

Springfield Indians

Hampton Gulls

Binghamton Dusters

Maine Mariners

Philadelphia Firebirds

New Brunswick Hawks

*yes, there will be original team names in the future

Following!

I was a huge Admirals fan back in the IHL days.  I hope this means a return to those awesome anchor stripes.
8164694524_e08e07bc4b_b.jpg

27 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Following!

I was a huge Admirals fan back in the IHL days.  I hope this means a return to those awesome anchor stripes.
8164694524_e08e07bc4b_b.jpg

Let’s just say...however teams looked, that’s where I’m taking inspiration from.

Sweet!

The current logo is much better than this one, but I've been wanting a return to the anchor stripe since the day after they got rid of it.

Posted (edited)

Working on Fort Wayne right now. I’ll post them uncolored as a sort of preview.

Update: Here it is!

Dg9RJIGU0AAVhNt?format=jpg

Edited by PowderedWater

Glad you're using templates, but it looks like you're using crayons as a coloring tool. My suggestion, use either color pencils or markers. Crayons look unprofessional.

What's the 1 on the arms and left chest for?

The over all look is pretty bad, I agree with the crayons comment.

18 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Glad you're using templates, but it looks like you're using crayons as a coloring tool. My suggestion, use either color pencils or markers. Crayons look unprofessional.

As someone who I do does handrawn stuff, I couldn’t repeat this more.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Thanks for the feedback, but I’m not using crayons. I’m using art pens. I do agree it looks uneven, maybe that is because I’m pressing down too hard.

18 hours ago, tigers said:

What's the 1 on the arms and left chest for?

The over all look is pretty bad, I agree with the crayons comment.

And, the number was on the original jerseys from the 70s...moving on, what should I change to make it better?

edit: To clarify, are you dissatisfied with the quality of the drawing or the aesthetic of the uniform? Please not that the uniform is based on the actual Komets I i from that time period.

Edited by PowderedWater

It's got number 50 on the back but 1 elsewhere, you didn't explain why you did this. Just because it was doesn't mean it should be.

It's just hard to work out what is what, it looks to messy. Clean it up by using a sharper pencil or better tool.

41 minutes ago, tigers said:

It's got number 50 on the back but 1 elsewhere, you didn't explain why you did this. Just because it was doesn't mean it should be.

It's just hard to work out what is what, it looks to messy. Clean it up by using a sharper pencil or better tool.

Thank you very much, this was legit helpful. And I just had 1 on the front and 50 on the back to demonstrate what it would look like with single and double digits.

Posted (edited)

I’ve been hard at work honing my skills for the Fort Wayne road jersey. Muskegon’s after that.

Edit: Fort Wayne road to be posted today!

Edit 2: Done! Not too great, but I have better supplies, so Muskegon should be a jump in quality.

Edited by PowderedWater

So look. The story is really damn cool. The idea and storyline are pretty well done and I would definitely follow something like this. But the uniforms are not well done. It looks like it was done in crayon or an old marker. Its not clean and there are random

marks on the uniforms.

Design wise I don’t hate the away uniform nor do I love it. I guess it gets the job done. I just think that you could maybe do a bit better with the drawing quality. I do like the fact that you stay consistent though. Just some of my C&C. 

1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

So look. The story is really damn cool. The idea and storyline are pretty well done and I would definitely follow something like this. But the uniforms are not well done. It looks like it was done in crayon or an old marker. Its not clean and there are random

marks on the uniforms.

Design wise I don’t hate the away uniform nor do I love it. I guess it gets the job done. I just think that you could maybe do a bit better with the drawing quality. I do like the fact that you stay consistent though. Just some of my C&C. 

Yep, I tried to get rid of the random marks. I have some better supplies now, so hopefully things will look a lot clearer. As for the coloring inconsistencies, I’ll do some looking into that. Thanks

The next best thing is Paintbrush on Mac. In no ways a bad option, but...I have no drawing tablet, so I could draw it with a mouse or use my new supplies.

9 hours ago, PowderedWater said:

Yep, I tried to get rid of the random marks. I have some better supplies now, so hopefully things will look a lot clearer. As for the coloring inconsistencies, I’ll do some looking into that. Thanks

The next best thing is Paintbrush on Mac. In no ways a bad option, but...I have no drawing tablet, so I could draw it with a mouse or use my new supplies.

Have you attempted to learn MS Paint? I know it gets knocked as a program that beginners use, but I don’t see it that way. Its free and works for people who are just learning design. I used it when I started. I’m all for well done hand drawn, but these are just kind of meh.

I'll also add that paint.net is another great program. Even though it's pretty basic, you can still make real good designs with it. 

In terms of the jerseys, the home and road need at least some similarity. Right now you've got two completely different designs, which is hurting the overall look.

7 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Have you attempted to learn MS Paint? I know it gets knocked as a program that beginners use, but I don’t see it that way. Its free and works for people who are just learning design. I used it when I started. I’m all for well done hand drawn, but these are just kind of meh.

Oh, I’m definitely farmiliar with Paint, but I have a Mac. That’s a big obstacle in its own right, but dingus me forgot how to run .exes with Wine.

6 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Right now you've got two completely different designs, which is hurting the overall look.

I appreciate this, too. But...two things. Firstly, I am basing the information on the actual 70s unis. If it so be, and everybody would prefer unique designs, I’m totally willing. Secondly, I like really bad, stupid looks. They make me laugh.5d86182ccd5ce01ee02e6b80a2bd73bf.jpg

I unironically enjoy this.

Thats fine. But to me it just seems like you are making excuses, or at least thats the way its coming off. The second jersey is fine, but I think you can do better. If nothing else, just keep practicing. And before you post, ask yourself if it really is ready for the public. Not trying to be rude, I want to see you do well. You ARE making improvements from uniform to uniform, which is definitely a plus.