ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Uniform Re-Design Concepts

iamdaviinci

The Atlanta Hawks are admittedly one of my favorite teams to re-design. They have a number of uniquely quirky looks throughout their uniform history -- the '80s swoop, the Pistol Pete-era shoulder striping, the pinstriped trim thrown back to this past season, etc. They've also adopted a number of interesting color palettes over the years: red and yellow, blue and lime green, red, black, and volt, etc. This rich history without a singular defining look offers a lot of identifiable inspiration to draw from and modernize.

This project came after connecting two observations: 1) last season's City Edition Uniform drew inspiration from the wrong throwback; and 2) considering the Bulls, Trail Blazers, Heat, and Rockets all adopt some combination of red, black, and yellow, the Hawks need to explore a more unique color palette. The aforementioned swoop uniforms are iconic considering their association with the Dominique Wilkins era. They're incredibly dated by today's standards, yet they lend themselves well to modernization. Additionally, blue and lime/mint green is a color combination I've noticed a lot recently, including in the realm of sportswear. Connecting the dots, I decided to modernize the swoop uniforms in a blue and lime/mint green color scheme.

The angles and asymmetry remain, though the lines are straightened and simplified. The typeface is retained, though slanted relative to the straightened swoop.The 'ATLANTA' script appears on all three jerseys to make use of the full space, while the 'HAWKS' script accompanies it on the left leg of all three shorts. The player name is located below the numerals on the backs of the jerseys in homage to the Pistol Pete-era design (albeit without nicknames!).

ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Association Edition Uniform Concept

f69Scky.jpg

ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Icon Edition Uniform Concept

Zq8KDE7.jpg

ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Statement Edition Uniform Concept

MDEelH9.jpg

I also reverted this design to the team's current color palette, and to be honest I think I prefer this version to the blue and lime/mint green one. The colors pop more, it's more identifiable with the team's brand, and the Statement Edition Uniform is a bit more interesting.

ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Association Edition Uniform Concept

RSlf8bB.jpg

ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Icon Edition Uniform Concept

pOlbS0m.jpg

ATLANTA HAWKS x NIKE | Statement Edition Uniform Concept

WEAsKbF.jpg

Thanks for looking -- please let me know your thoughts!

Great looking stuff, both versions. Especially the slanted team/city name on the front, really harks back to their older uniforms nicely, yet a good update. If you are going to use the chevron pattern at all, I'd work it in to more than just one uniform. Also, on the first Icon set, would you consider trying to make the front nameplate green, rather than white?

All six of these are great. I think one thing that would give the blue/green set a nice combination of eras would be adding the feather design inside the swoop and the side panels. It would just add a bit of texture that wouldn't overwhelm the entire design

15 hours ago, FALCON6 said:

Great looking stuff, both versions. Especially the slanted team/city name on the front, really harks back to their older uniforms nicely, yet a good update. If you are going to use the chevron pattern at all, I'd work it in to more than just one uniform. Also, on the first Icon set, would you consider trying to make the front nameplate green, rather than white?

I appreciate the feedback!

I think the stripped down color palette needs the chevron pattern for balance, but I'm skeptical applying it to the red and volt (and anthracite) uniforms could be a bit much....there's a lot of color intensity and competition there. For the sake of consistency across the set, though, I definitely subscribe to your line of thinking.

As for the color balance on the first Icon (and maybe Association) set, I think you're on to something. I grappled for a long time with how to appropriately distribute the secondary and tertiary colors across those uniforms, and I think the tertiary color on each is a bit underrepresented. Your solution seems to fix that issue!

14 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Lookin good! Maybe dim the blue a little bit, it’s pretty bright. Otherwise I like both colors color options.

You're 100% right -- the colors on the first set are pretty abrasive. I'll tweak them to alleviate that issue -- thank you!

14 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

All six of these are great. I think one thing that would give the blue/green set a nice combination of eras would be adding the feather design inside the swoop and the side panels. It would just add a bit of texture that wouldn't overwhelm the entire design

Thanks! That's a very intriguing idea....having only seen the feather design on their current white, red, and black uniforms, I'm curious as to how it translates to the other colors. I'll have to experiment with that when I tweak the shades of blue and green!

12 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I take it you've seen my concept.

I've seen yours and a number of Hawks concepts on these boards....not sure what you're aiming for with this comment.

I really like the set you've created there -- it's clean and simple, yet has a distinct connection to previous sets. Excellent blend of eras.

Sidenote: I can't look at your alternate jersey without being reminded of the Nike Rewind jerseys from the early 2000s. A lot of jerseys from that collection were questionable at best, but the Hawks one and a handful of others feel ahead of their time now considering where Nike's current design aesthetic is trending.

The black and volt statement is pretty much the exact uniform I want the hawks to change too, except with red, yellow, and white as the colors. So really just change volt to yellow in your concepts of the association and icon jerseys and the black to white on the icon.

As much as I really dig the subtle simplicity of the statement set, I can't help but think some minor touches of red could really elevate it even further.. Like maybe the Nike swoosh, collar, logo outline, Idk.. Just a few small splashes of color here and there to really embolden the menacing dark look and tie it in to the rest of the set a bit more.. 

Either way, outstanding work!

Archived