OHL: Guelph Storm Unveil New Primary Logo for 2018-19

OHL: Guelph Storm Unveil New Primary Logo for 2018-19

June 28, 2018 - 19:03 PM

The Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League unveiled an updated look this morning, introducing the first change to their primary logo in over twenty years. The new look keeps the funnel cloud character but now rotated, as funnel clouds […]

Read More...

Looks like Oscar the Grouch peering out of a Wizard's hat.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Let me propose (again?) a sort of Jazz-Hornets-Bobcats for the OHL:

Guelph becomes the Guelph Platers, the name of the original Guelph team (named for Guelph's then-thriving electroplating industry! I'm not entirely sure what electroplating is) which moved to Owen Sound, continued as the Platers, but changed their name to the Owen Sound Attack. Owen Sound becomes the Owen Sound Storm, which works because of the alliteration and the fact that a storm that developed over a body of water seems like a plausible local nickname.

End result: you get a heritage OHL team name back, and you don't have a team called the "Attack," which sounds stupid when you're on defense or especially in goal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/29/2018 at 3:36 PM, the admiral said:

Let me propose (again?) a sort of Jazz-Hornets-Bobcats for the OHL:

Guelph becomes the Guelph Platers, the name of the original Guelph team (named for Guelph's then-thriving electroplating industry! I'm not entirely sure what electroplating is) which moved to Owen Sound, continued as the Platers, but changed their name to the Owen Sound Attack. Owen Sound becomes the Owen Sound Storm, which works because of the alliteration and the fact that a storm that developed over a body of water seems like a plausible local nickname.

End result: you get a heritage OHL team name back, and you don't have a team called the "Attack," which sounds stupid when you're on defense or especially in goal.

A few years ago, I would have commented that this idea, although a good one, wouldn't fly here in Guelph...the Storm name/identity was just too entrenched in the community. Back then all minor hockey rep travel teams wore the Storm. I worked in the system as a coach, convenor, etc., and every piece of Storm merchandise that the kids wore/used had to be bought through the OHL team: EVERYTHING...toques, caps, T-shirts, key fobs, pucks...(I once got my wrists slapped for making up a custom T for my team). I figured the sponsorship of Guelph Minor Hockey (GMHA) was a great deal for the Junior team with the added revenue and the incredible exposure from having almost all the hockey kids in town wearing their stuff.... And then, something went sideways...the GMHA decided to drop the Storm identity, and  the Guelph rep teams became the "Guelph Gryphons", as the city's University of Guelph stepped up and became the association's main sponsor. The official word from GMHA was that the U of Goo made them an offer they couldn't refuse...(I think there was more to the story than that).

Anyway, as far as minor hockey in Guelph goes, we are no longer the "Storm"...we're the red, yellow and black "Gryphons".

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that @sparky chewbarky. I think the Gryphons have a better logo and colour scheme anyway but I wonder what said offer was. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived