Negro League Teams in the Present Day (Indianapolis Clowns)

Carolingian Steamroller

The Crawfords look great! Nice work on the scripts in particular. My only nitpick is that the home script is the singular "Crawford" instead of "Crawfords," but I know that was part of the original design. Any idea why that was?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburgh is one of my favorites I think, right up there with Brooklyn. I love the color scheme and the pinstripes at home. I would just suggest to somehow adjust the "P" on the alternate so that it looks more "straight-up." Great job overall though!

Moving on to the Philadelphia Stars:

I've envisioned a scenario where the Stars pulled off a freak pennant during a particularly interesting phase of their uniform history. 

darth-vader-dancing-gif-7-1.gif

Then as the double knit era came to a close they returned to more traditional and classic uniforms. However due to their success and constant presence on "Worst Dressed Teams in Baseball History" lists, the Intergalactic Stars uniforms are consistent fan favorites in the Philadelphia area. 

Thanks to @Victormrey for letting me borrow his gradient design from the MLB City Series Diamondbacks. 

xoqo5xE.png

eJbLIDS.png

Wws2uEU.png

Today we have the evolution of the Cleveland Buckeyes: The Oakland Oaks.

With the Monarchs the toast of Kansas City by 1948, the Athletics would have had no Midwest landing spot upon leaving Philadelphia. The A's could well have moved somewhere more profitable in the long term (Minneapolis? Milwaukee?). That leaves Oakland (the A's next stop after KC) wide open and the Cleveland Buckeyes could easily have filled that niche. Switching their name from one icon local hardwood to another. 

I opted for green as the primary color but I couldn't decide whether I liked orange or silver as a secondary color so I'm posting them both. The racing stripe details and the font are based on the branches of the Oakland crest which also forms the basis of the Warriors "The Town" uniforms. 

Enjoy!

6E72IJZ.png

9kYy6x2.png

Kk7zjZz.png

XjcGn6J.png

i7G2kAI.png

Zird2b5.png

efhZr0k.png

Atlanta: It’s a well-executed update of an unorthodox design. I also like the shift to royal/red, as it makes for a better blend with the 1970s Braves. Good work!

Pittsburgh: That’s a fantastic update of the Crawford’s look. I like how the “P” looks on its own on the alternate jersey, especially with the thin striping.

Philadelphia: While I like the super-traditional version, the 1970s-‘80s look is amazing! It’s believable within the period’s design conventions (not a direct copy of the Tequila Sunrise) and is memorable/memorably bad. Nice job here!

Oakland: The uniform design works really well within the “split letter” aesthetic of the scripts/Oakland’s city emblem. The leaves on the sleeves are an inspired touch. I do find myself preferring the orange to the silver, but I think that yellow would be even better, given it’s place on the Oakland city flag. You’ve done a fantastic job!

I love the Stars classic set, with the incredibly creative alternate. That set is simply genius. I also love the Oaks, and I find myself preferring the orange more and more when I look at it. Great work as usual!

Of the two options, I definitely prefer the green and orange one. Coupled with the oak leaves on the sleeves, there's a really nice Irish vibe happening.

All in all this is an interesting re-imagining of the original Oaks uniforms which were very traditional. Well done!

Today we finish up with the Indianapolis Clowns.

A true barnstorming team, the Clowns wore bright blue and orange uniforms for much of their history. I've updated their look by breaking the orange into its component red and yellow. Simple red piping offsets the otherwise garish color scheme along with custom script. A pinwheel cap completes the most whimsical team in baseball.

UxQm2GL.png

GT6E11y.png

zmnjahK.png

gAIoJTS.png

6vgf2z4.png

I hope you've enjoyed this series as much as I've enjoyed the challenge of making it! Comment on any changes you'd like to see and any personal favorites!

☮️

The Clowns are really fun. Nice use of the late '80s White Sox "C" for the "Clowns" script. Love the pinwheel caps and the sleeve patch, too. Great job!

This series went by too fast. I'd love to see a few bonus teams! There are still a handful of great Negro League identities out there.

Personal favorites are the American Giants, Barons, Monarchs, and Clowns. 

Indy is wonderful! I love the color scheme and the pinwheel cap, perfect for a whimsical and fun identity such as the Clowns.

This truly has been a great series! I love how unique it is, and like I said in the beginning it gives some much deserved attention to the Negro Leagues. I would say my 3 favorites were Brooklyn, Chicago, and Washington.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you have next! 

Archived