2018 NBA Concepts

Jack Holmes

I've never done NBA concept series like this before. I've only done court designs but never jerseys. Big shout out to Hoopladawg87 for sharing one of his templates with me, and to Daniel Ramone for creating it. 

This series is mostly a tweak of what teams were wearing during the 2017/2018 season. Home and roads only for now. I hope to finish it.

Up first, the Philadelphia 76ers

PHI_1_Home.png

PHI_1_Road.png

No major changes here. Just reverting the roads to red because blue looks a little boring them. Updating the wordmark to match the font on their 2017/18 City Jersey which I think makes the jersey looks less cluttered (thin wordmark makes more room for thick side panels). 

#2. Orlando Magic

T5G8n5J.jpg

spacer.png

Inspired by the T-Mac era jerseys, as 90s as they are, I think the stars could work (if Atlanta's triangles are any indication of a watermark pattern would look like) and they're a more unique identifier than pinstripes (which I think are a little tired). I also switched the blue out for a darker shade which I think suits a Florida team more.

Feedback welcome of course. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a heads up, most of the Sixers jerseys read “Phila” as opposed to “Philia” as you have. Regardless of that, I dig the jerseys, especially the Magic’s subliminal star pattern. Good work! Look forward to seeing the Spurs!

11 minutes ago, TheAdmiral said:

Just a heads up, most of the Sixers jerseys read “Phila” as opposed to “Philia” as you have. Regardless of that, I dig the jerseys, especially the Magic’s subliminal star pattern. Good work! Look forward to seeing the Spurs!

I done goofed. I have been reading it as 'Philia' for a long time apparently without ever questioning it. 

fixed.

Sixers: Awesome job! I like the script going across the chest! I like the red, but I don’t think their blue is boring at all - did you try it in blue at all?

Magic: I’m liking the zaniness of the sublimated stars as well as darkening the home script to black. Maybe the blue is a little too dark - I feel it gets a little lost amongst the black.

I think you’re really on to something with the Magic, you really made the stars work and it’s a great design! The blue needs brightening, it’d really look best in a royal shade. But other than that you’ve successfully brought the T-Mac set into the future as far as the layout is concerned! Great job in that regard!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 7/1/2018 at 3:50 AM, HRC4 said:

Sixers jersey is missing the 4th star on the back view.

Oops. Thanks.

I've fixed that, and updated Orlando to royal blue.

On 6/30/2018 at 9:43 AM, Vitalogy26 said:

Sixers: Awesome job! I like the script going across the chest! I like the red, but I don’t think their blue is boring at all - did you try it in blue at all?

Maybe not boring on its own but there are more blue teams than red, in blue the Sixers blend in more than stand out. Here it is in blue:

vwlpRqc.jpg

And here is #3, the Memphis Grizzlies:

9Tc82YQ.jpg

MEM_2_Alt.png

The Grizzlies are a hard team to design for me. I know they need a redesign but I don't know what it should it be. With only two lifetime identities and three primary uniform sets, there's not a lot of history to draw from, which means designing a set almost from scratch which means everything looks alien to me. I went through about four different colour schemes (black & sky blue, black & gold, brown & gold, their current one) before I settled on bringing back the teal, red and bronze because it's the only unique identity that screams 'Grizzlies' even if it doesn't scream 'Memphis' per se and even if it mean there are now two teams wearing teal outside of the 1990s (and the Hornets wear that colour with more authority). I was partially inspired by their recent MLK uniform as well the sparseness of last season's City Jersey. 

Loving the applications of each team's history you have here. Some thoughts:

Phila: I like the script being brought to all the jerseys. I think the blues and reds can work together as a away and alternate. My one critique is the contrasting belt logo. I think if only the stars were a contrasting color it wouldn't stand out as much.

Orlando: Loving the stars. Those jerseys would perfectly translate to today's league.

Memphis: About as good as you can do with the rebrand. Love the application of the wordmark and numbers. I do think the nails on the claw logo could go back to white. They weirdly stand out on the white and blend in on the teal. Another way to improve the design would be to use some variation of their new "MEM" logo on the shorts side panels. That would bring together all of your stripes while also relating to the city.

Nailed it with the Orlando update. Looks perfect! 

Memphis is a win too! The only change I’d suggest is making the claws on the alt logo white instead of teal. Other than that, it looks really, really good. The teal road especially is top notch!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

First of all awesome work so far!

I never thought about how many blue teams are in the league, so I can see your point. That being said, I love those blues you drew up for the Sixers lol.

I also think the Magic look spectacular now that you’ve updated the blue to a lighter shade.

Memphis is great! I absolutely agree with you that the Vancouver colors are the identity that sticks out the most. 

Memphis are clean. Have a look at the 1975 Memphis Grizzlies World Football League team. Their colour scheme is similar to the Cleveland Browns but i think a brown, orange/red, black and teal look could actually work well together.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:33 PM, MDTrey4 said:

Loving the applications of each team's history you have here. Some thoughts:

Phila: I like the script being brought to all the jerseys. I think the blues and reds can work together as a away and alternate. My one critique is the contrasting belt logo. I think if only the stars were a contrasting color it wouldn't stand out as much.

Orlando: Loving the stars. Those jerseys would perfectly translate to today's league.

Memphis: About as good as you can do with the rebrand. Love the application of the wordmark and numbers. I do think the nails on the claw logo could go back to white. They weirdly stand out on the white and blend in on the teal. Another way to improve the design would be to use some variation of their new "MEM" logo on the shorts side panels. That would bring together all of your stripes while also relating to the city.

Agreed, the belt stripe doesn't look as good as I thought it would. I will clean it up. And I have to admit, I am not sure what the "MEM" logo is?

Thanks for the feedback!

Here is #4, Miami Heat

miami_56.png

miami_55.png

I realised Miami, despite wearing the same uniforms for about 17-18 years, are still rocking a pretty modern look. I didn't want to change much, I couldn't think much either, but I did want to introduce an element that resembled these fantastic ABA throwbacks. I was a bit restricted by the template though and didn't know quite how to make the shorts match so I tweaked it to match their current set a little more as well leave extra room for the wordmark and numbers.

And #5 Golden State Warriors

g1wZTZw.jpg

GSW_1_Away.png

I don't like basketball teams with logos in lieu of a simple wordmark, it looks wrong to my eyes. The thing that bugs me most about the Warriors recent success is that it means they probably won't rebrand for a few years yet, not that they don't still look good. But I think a simple 'Warriors' script would still look superiors. I wanted to the numbers to match these jerseys too. The shorts are inspired by their ill-fated yellow sleeved uniforms that I actually kind of liked and wish they did more with.

These are really good.

I like Miami's  Only complaint is the number and the MI would be not seen if they wore this jersey its to far to the outside.

Also 

Is the template available for download ?

Mustangs banner.png

big banner.png

For Miami, I prefer the white numbers to the yellow on the black units. Other than that, I love the asymmetrical look - nice nod to their Floridians jersey’s that they rocked when Lebron was there (I think they might have also worn them during the brief Shaq/Wade era)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3BOGZQTWpD4hTeUucwE9

Great start so far! Each design is very clean and well-executed. A few thoughts...

Sixers - The 'Sixers' script matching their current 'Phila' script is beautiful! I've spent an unreasonable amount of time trying creating something similar with nowhere near the results. I also like the color balance of the red uniform with the switch to white side panels -- their current red uniforms feel a bit over-saturated. My only suggestions would be to add a matching drop shadow to the wordmarks, scale down the side panel stars, and eliminate the contrast-color belt buckles.

Magic - I love the simplicity of these. I will always support the Magic returning to the star print, and eliminating the collar and armhole trim while making the side panels linear is a perfect complement to that detail. Well done!

Grizzlies - This is a very welcomed color change, and I appreciate the uniqueness of the design. The wordmark on the white uniform feels like it could pop a bit more, but this is an excellent start.

Heat - This feels like a bit of a lateral move. I like the asymmetrical nod to the Floridians, but the true side panel with the off-center wordmarks and numerals feel awkward and off-balance. I think it could benefit from accentuating the asymmetrical a bit more to balance things out. Also, the black uniform feels like it could benefit from a bit of white contrast somewhere in the striping.

Warriors - The Warriors need some actual warrior imagery, so I'm a big fan of the side panels....they're relevant, but in a subtle way. The typeface feels a bit cluttered with the extra serifs, though, and I'm not sold on the double blue color palette.

Great start, can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the feedback.

I've edited Miami so hopefully the front number and wordmark appear more aligned and symmetrical. I also added a white stripe to the roads.

MIA_2_Home.png

MIA_2_Road.png

I've also altered the font on the Warriors, removed the navy and hopefully made it look a little less cluttered and neater.

GSW_1_Home_2.png

GSW_1_Away_2.png

And for fun, here is a Miami Vice rebrand for the Heat

MIAMI_VICE_HOME_1.png

MIAMI_VICE_ROAD_2.png

Archived