MLB:PCSFG58: Minnesota Twins 4/10/2021

Htown1141

We're also talking about a civic icon vs. one that represents a private enterprise.

That said, I don't see any inherent problem here, but displaying the cross does run counter to the trend in sports design away from religious iconography.  Even Holy Cross has been emphasizing their interlocking "HC" logo over their cross shield.

Maybe stylize the cross to look more gothic?  It would still be a cross, but one with a more ambiguous meaning and not so closely tied to mainstream Christianity.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LMU said:

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

I love the mission logo too but might an actual Christian cross on a sports uniform upset people?

God.

:censored:ing.

Dammit.

This is why we can't have nice things, people!! In all honesty, my idea sprang to my head in theology class, and I scribbled something down on paper, thinking back to this logo by our very own @SFGiants58. And I would love to edit the cross or make it something more stylish, but the spanish missions of yore very rarely had elaborate and ornate crosses on the top of their towers.

14 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Any chance we could get a "trust your instincts" version?

This, I can get behind. It's just a color swap and my original blue/gold plans looked a little different, but ultimately I feel that this gets the point across

44nS14e.png

Just now, Htown1141 said:

God.

:censored:ing.

Dammit.

This is why we can't have nice things, people!! In all honesty, my idea sprang to my head in theology class, and I scribbled something down on paper, thinking back to this logo by our very own @SFGiants58. And I would love to edit the cross or make it something more stylish, but the spanish missions of yore very rarely had elaborate and ornate crosses on the top of their towers.

I hear you.  I work for LA County so the whole thing has been big news around here.

If you're doing a San Diego team THIS is the mission you should be using:

NFbCw0J.jpg

The cross is easy enough to omit.  Like in this SDSU logo for instance:

HH9NDk9.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

1 minute ago, LMU said:

I hear you.  I work for LA County so the whole thing has been big news around here.

If you're doing a San Diego team THIS is the mission you should be using:

NFbCw0J.jpg

The cross is easy enough to omit.  Like in this SDSU logo for instance:

HH9NDk9.jpg

I was going to originally going to use that mission for my concept, but didn't feel like being compared to the man I'm comparing myself to or any other logo with that bell tower. And honestly, I would like to abstain from the cross debate (not christian, just don't want to continue the possibility for flame war)

Happy 4th of July, everyone! I just woke up!I've been sitting on this one since I began my logo series back in september of last year, but never felt like it was much of a logo.

Without further ado, the Los Angeles Dodgers!

The main things I wanted to do when I started out was to 1: make the dodgers incorporate some baby blue that only existed on one alternate uniform in the early 40's, as well as 2011. My second thing I wanted to do was to touch the interlocking LA. Not that it's bad, but because it's lazy. Yes, I know it's based of the old PCL Angels, but why not add some dodger flair to it (like I know what that means, I'm just trying to justify a "it looks good" approach)?

g9Hjaoe.png

For the home and away sets, I tried to remain like a controlled crazyperson in my design. To match the away uniforms, the home jerseys receive some sleeve striping, and on both uniforms, the numbers are outlined in that baby blue, and the new LA replaces the old, equally redundant one on the sleeve. The away uniform's hat contains light blue outline on the LA, as I figured it might be a little more touchable than the home uniform.

ZUrX0ra.png

The alternates include a somewhat updated version of the previously mentioned alternate uniform, as well as a '52 throwback I threw in for good measure. And yes, I own a Brooklyn dodgers hat but not an LA hat, why do you ask?

EWzXFxH.png

I excluded the swoosh on the Brooklyn throwback, as I love America. Once again, happy 4th of July.

EDIT: added a light blue alternate with white pants

isUM48c.png

• Htown1141 changed the title to MLB: Project Chasing SFGiants58 (Los Angeles NL posted! 3/30)

It takes a lot of balls to mess with the classic Dodgers "LA" logo, but you pulled it off! I really like the baby blue outlines, too. 

My only nitpick is that I'd have the baby blue alt worn at home rather than the road. Baby blue with gray pants looks weird.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:52 PM, Htown1141 said:

NMlAzlp.png

Now we know that that's inaccurate. I don't own a red belt or a hoodie! ?

Anyway, I really like what you've done with the concepts here.

Houston: I really enjoy the Star Trek-style lettering and that you refrained from having a fully grey road uniform. The alternates are both fantastic, as I've always liked modernized takes on the Tequila Sunrise. The white outline version of the orange top is much better.

San Diego: Obligatory bit from RCR talking 'bout BROWN. Thanks for citing me as an inspiration for the design. I could go either way with the cross (made sure to make mine super small), but I like your refinement of the font and the logo. I'm not fond of the Taco Bell caps, but I get that they're iconic for the franchise. My only issue with the set is the orange on the brown top, but that's a minor complaint. The navy/orange alternate and the navy/yellow variant are a good way to appease the normies. Good work!

Dodgers: I like that you had the guts to change the LA to something that better matched the scripts (while maintaining the basic interlocking design). I'd prefer it if you used the road cap on the home uniform as well, for C O N S I S T E N C Y. The Brooklyn and light blue alternates are both fantastic.

I look forward to more fun concepts!

Haha, this should be a fun series! All the teams look good so far, the only recommendation I could make would be to flip the colors on the brown Padres wordmark for better readability. The cursive “LA” cap logo and the away alternate both look fantastic. 

Looking forward to seeing where this goes, and I’m ready to possibly get a little poked fun at along the way, haha.

A little late I suppose, but hey, when isn't it.

Here's Atlanta! As much as I liked the lowercase a/feather set of the past, I really felt that the uppercase one was so much more, well, Atlanta-y(?) I've been trying to capture the core of these baseball teams through their identity with this series, and I felt the was no other way to do it than with the classic 'A' of early Hank Aaron and the great Greg Maddox (yanno, the cub) and Chipper Jones. However, that certainly doesn't discount the feather years, in which happened one of the most memorable moments in sports history, Hank Aaron's 715th home run. In order to combine these eras, I felt like I needed to take a step out of my comfort zone and change the Braves' home script to match its away one. I understand that the former is the more "iconic", but if I cared, would I have ditched the block LA? I also made the feather have the capability to be its own standalone logo, as it is so just so beautiful.

Yes, I own this hat, why do you ask? And hey it's '47 brand, okay, and also a dad hat. Don't judge me!

92E0s6Z.png

I've been working really hard you guys, and I think I'm almost good enough to put my stuff on the alternate history thread

19 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

Here's Atlanta!

92E0s6Z.png

I've been working really hard you guys, and I think I'm almost good enough to put my stuff on the alternate history thread

Uh, what?

15 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

Here's Atlanta! As much as I liked the lowercase a/feather set of the past, I really felt that the uppercase one was so much more, well, Atlanta-y(?) I've been trying to capture the core of these baseball teams through their identity with this series, and I felt the was no other way to do it than with the classic 'A' of early Hank Aaron and the great Greg Maddox (yanno, the cub) and Chipper Jones. However, that certainly doesn't discount the feather years, in which happened one of the most memorable moments in sports history, Hank Aaron's 715th home run. In order to combine these eras, I felt like I needed to take a step out of my comfort zone and change the Braves' home script to match its away one. I understand that the former is the more "iconic", but if I cared, would I have ditched the block LA? I also made the feather have the capability to be its own standalone logo, as it is so just so beautiful.

Yes, I own a red version of this hat, why do you ask? And hey it's '47 brand, okay, and also a dad hat. Don't judge me!

92E0s6Z.png

ms paint red and ms paint blue. This is hands down your best work yet. ??

XcryMwi.png

Okay, after 12 hours of crying uncontrollably into my pillow, hoping that someone, ANYONE, would appreciate my jab at like half of the sports fan fiction topics that have been started, I mean, having a wonderful night of sleep, I am ready to post my actual Atlanta concept now. I was going to post it last night, I just wanted to hold out to see if anyone liked my joke (As I am writing this, @HRC4 thank you pls marry me)

vN8QVmP.png

Read above the reasoning for the look. I made sure all of it applied to the actual conceppt.

As for the home and away set, I wanted to keep it simple, yet unique, and thankfully the feather made that quite easy and allowed me to put the least possible amount of effort in, while still feeling that I'm actually creative.

3cOmpJ2.png

I then quickly realized that I am dumb, and should make a feather alternate uniform that destroys what made the feather so cool as sleeve stripes and stick it on the front, with some cool striping. The red alternate has the colored sleeves because something has to, and it was originally going to be just an away alternate. I decided to make it both a home and away alternate out of shear "why not". I hate it, primarily because I'm trying to avoid a Dallas  Mavericks thing, or a rangers sunday home alt thing, or that old stars thing, where they wore the city name on their home jerseys.

QV5nASK.png

16 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

I meant the sports fan fiction topic

Hold up, are you making fun of the Sports Fan Fiction board? If so its both funny and completely accurate with the exception of maybe three or four threads over there (both the PHL and AFA are great). That joke kind of went over my head.

After reading your Braves description, I think my question has a clear answer. Haha, it did make me laugh. 

42 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Hold up, are you making fun of the Sports Fan Fiction board? If so its both funny and completely accurate with the exception of maybe three or four threads over there (both the PHL and AFA are great). That joke kind of went over my head.

After reading your Braves description, I think my question has a clear answer. Haha, it did make me laugh. 

Count that as two of us.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived