MLB:PCSFG58: Minnesota Twins 4/10/2021

Htown1141

Fantastic! I really like what you’ve done with the “W,” homaging the curly W (immortalized by the Sens MK II’s single winning season) without calling to mind a chain of drugstores. While I’m more of a navy Nats guy, I really like how you’ve worked with the red-dominant look. I like the choice of throwback as well, but I do think moving the numbers up a little on the back would improve accuracy. All in all, good work!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Fantastic! I really like what you’ve done with the “W,” homaging the curly W (immortalized by the Sens MK II’s single winning season) without calling to mind a chain of drugstores. While I’m more of a navy Nats guy, I really like how you’ve worked with the red-dominant look. I like the choice of throwback as well, but I do think moving the numbers up a little on the back would improve accuracy. All in all, good work!

Here's the numbers moved up, it does look more authentic

Spoiler

f4IcC9y.png

First off, :censored: a bird on bat. I see your culture and I do you one better.

I make stuff. And I make the hell out of it. Here's an updated swinging bird (I like it) and I'll come back to this for a bird on bad thing at some point idk.

T4notvQ.png

Home and away was quite a depature from their normal sets. I went ahead and saved myself the trouble of effort by instituting some striping consistency from the socks (they're pretty).

vRxSYo7.png

As for the alternates, I really didn't feel like making a throwback... to one of their uniforms. HOWEVER, I did throw back to my first baseball series (utterly terrible, check it out here) and ripped my cardinals concept. As for the other one, it's red. What else is there to say.

x1xkw8Z.png

I need a better design process, yanno? Like, these are fine and everything, but if I want to catch SF, then I'm going to need reasons beyond "it looks cool"

The Cards look great. The new primary logo is strong, and the alt with the red headspoon is a nice, clean look. 

I have to say, I really admire you bucking tradition and doing your own thing with the "untouchable" teams (the new "LA" for the Dodgers, ditching the birds-on-bat for St. Louis). Can't wait to see what you do with my White Sox. Keep it up!

• Htown1141 changed the title to MLB: Project Chasing SFGiants58 (St. Louis Cardinals posted! 8/30)

So I love the birds on the bat, and while that maybe is because I’m a Cardinals, I know it is beloved among most MLB fans. That being said, I respect the ambition and work so I guess I’ll have to look past that.

The uniforms are great! The new primary looks great, a very nice update to the batting Cardinal. The uniforms look great and a return to the more classic navy/red cap is a great addition. While it isn’t traditional, I think it looks pretty good. Nicw job.

9 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

Reveal hidden contents

f4IcC9y.png

I need a better design process, yanno? Like, these are fine and everything, but if I want to catch SF, then I'm going to need reasons beyond "it looks cool"

I dunno, it usually works for me.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

12 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I dunno, it usually works for me.

...and me, but I have such an OCD desire to legitimize all of my choices, so I have to go deep.

I gotta say, I'm a big fan of you chucking out tradition with this one and using angled versions of the classic scripts with the Swingin' Bird. My only nitpicks would be that the NOB should have an outline and that the tail of the "St. Louis" wordmark is a bit too close to the letters (so you might want to lower it a little). Other than that, no complaints (I love that striping, BTW). Good work.

Please touch upon a "controversial" team next. Somebody like Tampa or Philadelphia would get some fireworks going!

I echo Lights Out's sentiment. In a vacuum, I like these a lot, but something feels wrong about no birds on bat.

Regarding the swinging bird logo, I like it save for one tiny detail. The way the bird's eye is drawn, it looks like he's looking backwards. That combined with the overall expression, it looks like the bird got frozen on a called third strike.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

hey y'all! I'm so terribly sorry about this but I think I might need to take a little break. For some reason, this idea came over me that I needed to be able to draw a triceratops to continue with this, also some other personal stuff may have contributed. I have some stuff for y'all who didn't like the concept I put out,

On 7/16/2018 at 9:48 AM, Lights Out said:

In a vacuum, this would be a nice look for the Cardinals. In reality, the Birds on the Bat is their thing and they'd look wrong at this point without it. My recommendation would be to leave the striping as-is but bring back the Birds on the Bat scripts.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, Lafarge said:

I echo Lights Out's sentiment. In a vacuum, I like these a lot, but something feels wrong about no birds on bat.

Regarding the swinging bird logo, I like it save for one tiny detail. The way the bird's eye is drawn, it looks like he's looking backwards. That combined with the overall expression, it looks like the bird got frozen on a called third strike.

made it special.

giphy.gif

No but seriously, here ya go

k7O4Dap.png

On 7/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, SFGiants58 said:

...and me, but I have such an OCD desire to legitimize all of my choices, so I have to go deep.

I gotta say, I'm a big fan of you chucking out tradition with this one and using angled versions of the classic scripts with the Swingin' Bird. My only nitpicks would be that the NOB should have an outline and that the tail of the "St. Louis" wordmark is a bit too close to the letters (so you might want to lower it a little). Other than that, no complaints (I love that striping, BTW). Good work.

Please touch upon a "controversial" team next. Somebody like Tampa or Philadelphia would get some fireworks going!

here's something better for that

l6OPZDN.png

I hope you guys understand, and thank you so very much for humoring me on this journey so far.

12 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

hey y'all! I'm so terribly sorry about this but I think I might need to take a little break. For some reason, this idea came over me that I needed to be able to draw a triceratops to continue with this, also some other personal stuff may have contributed.

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

hey y'all! I'm so terribly sorry about this but I think I might need to take a little break. For some reason, this idea came over me that I needed to be able to draw a triceratops to continue with this, also some other personal stuff may have contributed. I have some stuff for y'all who didn't like the concept I put out,

Colorado Rockies?

Excellent!

On 7/19/2018 at 7:07 PM, Htown1141 said:

hey y'all! I'm so terribly sorry about this but I think I might need to take a little break. For some reason, this idea came over me that I needed to be able to draw a triceratops to continue with this, also some other personal stuff may have contributed. 

y9RfcF.gif

It's funnier with audio (Kamen Rider Blade has a "reputation" of sorts)! I get where you're coming from. Take care of yourself, and come back when you feel like you're ready. Trust me, I've had plenty of moments like that over the years. 

The "St. Louis" script looks better with a lower tail, good work! I also like the small stripes on the birds-on-bat set.

I can appreciate the effort and the spin on this uniform, and I am glad to see that the ugly Cream Colored Saturday Home Alternate unis they have in their current rotation is gone with this design, but I have to say this one is a hard "Hell No" from me. As a Cardinals fan, I can assure you this uniform set would never fly in The 'Lou. I completely understand that this is just for :censored:s and giggle, so please forgive me for being harsh here...

Getting rid of the Birds on the Bat for the St. Louis Cardinals is like getting rid of the interlocking "NY" for the Yankees, or the "G" for the Green Bay Packers - there are some aspects of certain uniforms you just don't mess with. In 1956, the Cardinals did something similar to what you tried to do with the home uniforms, and the fans revolted, and rightly so. The birds were restored the following year, and have stayed there ever since.

The piping/trim on the pants and the jerseys is a no-go, for me. When I see that on a Cardinals uniform, I think SansABelt Pants and Double Knit pullovers. Not a good look.

The "STL" logo used has the Flat Cornered "T" instead of the Angled Corner "T." It's a small detail, but it makes a big difference. The Angled Corner "T" is a much better look.

I cannot get behind either of the alternates. The white one with the "STL" logo and the updated Slugger Bird cap is boring and quite ugly, and the Red alternate top looks like a Little League jersey to me. In fact, I'm almost positive one of my brothers got a jersey that looks nearly identical to that in one of those "Kids Baseball Uniform" boxed sets about 15 years ago.

I, and this is admittedly a very personal bias, absolutely hate the red caps being paired with the Cardinals road uniform. I strongly believe the Cardinals road uniform looks best with their navy cap that features a red STL, a navy belt, red shoes, and red under sleeves. I wouldn't have an enormous problem with the road uniforms saying "St. Louis," but again, the birds on the bat needs to be there.

The idea of updating "Slugger Bird" has potential, but essentially just placing the current logo's head on the old version makes it look creepy to me.

*sigh* as long as I’m at this creative roadblock, might as well reply. Paragraph by paragraph, because I’m petty and also on a road trip.

4 hours ago, ThePerfectFoil said:

I can appreciate the effort and the spin on this uniform, and I am glad to see that the ugly Cream Colored Saturday Home Alternate unis they have in their current rotation is gone with this design, but I have to say this one is a hard "Hell No" from me. As a Cardinals fan, I can assure you this uniform set would never fly in The 'Lou. I completely understand that this is just for :censored:s and giggle, so please forgive me for being harsh here...

My goal was never really to think of things that would be acceptable in our current state, this project is more of a mental exercise for me. As someone who has intentions of going into this line of work, I feel that doing things like this, pushing the envelope, is what I need to progress, not only as a designer of uniforms, but logos and wordmarks, as well.

Getting rid of the Birds on the Bat for the St. Louis Cardinals is like getting rid of the interlocking "NY" for the Yankees, or the "G" for the Green Bay Packers - there are some aspects of certain uniforms you just don't mess with. In 1956, the Cardinals did something similar to what you tried to do with the home uniforms, and the fans revolted, and rightly so. The birds were restored the following year, and have stayed there ever since.

I do know about the 1956 uniforms, and how poorly they were received. However, if I felt that it was necessary to go with something that could be seen as a real-world design, I wouldn’t do anything to the birds on bat look, except maybe put “St. Louis” on the away uniform. I’m not denying how integral the birds on bat look is to the current cardinals identity, rather exploring ways to portray such an iconic franchise in a new way. I understand why it may not be the best look to Cardinals fans or baseball traditionalists, but I tried my best not to copy an existing look yet still preserve elements from their existing design, even if I went to drastic measures to do so. 

The piping/trim on the pants and the jerseys is a no-go, for me. When I see that on a Cardinals uniform, I think SansABelt Pants and Double Knit pullovers. Not a good look.

Okay everybody, listen to this hot take: the pullover era of baseball gave us some of the greatest uniforms of all time, in any sport. And the reason for that specific N/W/R/W/N look is because it’s based off an “untouchable” uniform’s sock pattern. I would’ve been fine with a simple red stripe, or none at all, in fact it would’ve been easier. However, I wanted to find a way to find a balance between exentricity and sensibility, but I suppose it may have been a little too much. 

The "STL" logo used has the Flat Cornered "T" instead of the Angled Corner "T." It's a small detail, but it makes a big difference. The Angled Corner "T" is a much better look.

This is completely valid. The only reason I didn’t use it was because of laziness (a fantastic trait for someone who wants to go into a field in which every tiny detail is important, I know) and that I had already finished most of the concept without realizing it wasn’t the angled “T”

I cannot get behind either of the alternates. The white one with the "STL" logo and the updated Slugger Bird cap is boring and quite ugly, and the Red alternate top looks like a Little League jersey to me. In fact, I'm almost positive one of my brothers got a jersey that looks nearly identical to that in one of those "Kids Baseball Uniform" boxed sets about 15 years ago.

I’ll admit that neither are my best work. For the home alternate, I didn’t have an idea so I just copied a design from a series I did back in 2015. Probably could’ve come up with something better for the away uniform, as well. And since you brought those kids baseball sets up, I can totally see it and I’m kicking myself for it.

I, and this is admittedly a very personal bias, absolutely hate the red caps being paired with the Cardinals road uniform. I strongly believe the Cardinals road uniform looks best with their navy cap that features a red STL, a navy belt, red shoes, and red under sleeves. I wouldn't have an enormous problem with the road uniforms saying "St. Louis," but again, the birds on the bat needs to be there.

Show me a blue cardinal and I’ll do it. 

The idea of updating "Slugger Bird" has potential, but essentially just placing the current logo's head on the old version makes it look creepy to me.

That’s fair, but I did try to update it the best I could without giving it a brandiose treatment. And for what it’s worth, I updated the wings and feet (one of them at least looks good). 

Thank you for your your honest feedback, and you did make some decent points. I’ll make sure to update my cards concept the best I can when i get the chance

I like your (and I mean this sincerely) thoughtful response, and mild snark. It's refreshing. Thanks for the explanation of your objectives - it makes sense.

Laziness is often underrated.

I agree with you that the pullover era had some of the best uniforms of all time (the Phillies powder blue and maroon road unis, and the Astros Tequila Sunrise jersey come to mind right away), so my thoughts on the piping weren't meant to be complete condemnation of the era, just that I didn't feel like they fit with the Cardinals look. I also think the jerseys from that era, more than any other uniforms from any other era, have designs and stylistic elements that just don't work outside of a throwback uniform night. For example, I dig the powder blues, the racing stripes/piping/arm trim, but I can't imagine a modern team returning to that look with the way current uniforms are worn in the big leagues. They just don't look good if uniforms aren't skin tight, and as I'm sure you've notice, that is not how players wear them these days.

Obviously, there are no blue Cardinals, but the navy cap has been a part of the Cardinals catalogue since the early 1940s. Blue, be it navy caps or the uniforms themselves, was a primary part of the Cardinals road uniforms every year from 1942-2012, with the exception of 1965-1973, and 1985-1991, and of those years without navy/blue being part of the road uni, only six seasons did not feature SansABelt Pants and Double Knits. Now, like I said, for the navy cap to work, it must be worn with red sleeves. A hastily compiled/unedited set of examples: http://www.imagebam.com/image/49d9f9927859034  I think the navy cap and belt is a fantastic balance to the amount of bright red the Cardinals wear. I also really like the distinction between "Home" and "Road" caps/uniforms.

A lot of the current Cardinals have taken to wearing navy sleeves when they do wear the navy caps, and it's just not a look that works for me. Example: http://www.imagebam.com/image/1f766d927858974

I don't know. I'm tired and rambling.

Keep up the good work, though. I have enjoyed the series, and will keep my eyes peeled for the rest.

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2018 at 10:01 PM, Htown1141 said:

Houston Astros

The 'A' thing is a tribute to the NASA logo's red thing. For the colors, I felt like the whole set needed some sort of facelift to incorporate red and yellow into the scheme further. I also had original plans for the home and away uniforms to mimic the '89 to '93 sets, but I felt like the sleeve stripes were enough to bring the red and yellow into the scheme without them overpowering the orange elsewhere in the set. Also, fun fact about the 89 to 93 away uniforms: They were actually used starting in 1980, and the tequila sunrise uniforms were only the home uniforms from '80 to '85. I would like to thank the guys in the authentic shop at Minute Maid for alerting me to that little secret. Also also, @CC97, idk if you care, but that may be something that would be good to verify and maybe update. I'm not sure.

I1RW0Z6.png

I was just going through some old threads looking for some inspiration for my own work and I came across this.

Great set of unis and logos.  Top notch work, hope you continue it soon! 

However . . . this Astros logo.  I can't help but picture sexy lady legs hula hooping.  Did anyone else pick up on this?  

Archived