Sign in to follow this  
SportsLogos.Net News

Stars and Stripes Across MLB, Patriotic Uniforms for July 2-3-4

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Matito said:

This year's cap is closer to being okay, but it's still way overdone. I've long said that, if MLB insists on doing something patriotic to sell more caps, just do them in team colors like they'd wear every day, but with a flag pattern in the logo, and put the American flag in place of the New Era logo. No gold trim, no league logos, no sublimated designs.

This! As a Pirates fan a black cap with the P from the 4th caps would look slick, no need for the bright red. All of the jerseys are ugly and unnecessary, just wear standard uniforms and throw a US Flag patch on one sleeve, a 4th of July patch on the other and be done with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the hats, but can do without the jerseys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the question is how much money MLB should forgo in opportunity cost just to appease people like us. Realistically, little to none. Lowkey shade to everyone in bootleg jerseys who proved fans will buy any thematic mutation of sports merch the world will offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GFB said:

Do you know what’s patriotic? Baseball itself. No need to hit me over the head with it.

 

How dare you be unpatriotic like that.

I bet you don't even own a flag to wave.

 

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love the league logos on the sides of these hats — wish they’d just make a Tribe hat with the AL logo on the side that isn’t stars and stripes driven.

 

Tribe jerseys reinforce that the road jerseys can have red lettering, too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I guess the question is how much money MLB should forgo in opportunity cost just to appease people like us. Realistically, little to none. Lowkey shade to everyone in bootleg jerseys who proved fans will buy any thematic mutation of sports merch the world will offer.

MLB theoretically doesn’t make money on selling these because they’re charity, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Digby said:

MLB theoretically doesn’t make money on selling these because they’re charity, right?

 

MLB states that it donates their "licensed royalties" to "MLB charities," but does not disclose the figures.

 

On top of how bloated and wasteful most big charities are, MLB is likely donating a pretty small amount of the total sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, Matito said:

This year's cap is closer to being okay, but it's still way overdone. I've long said that, if MLB insists on doing something patriotic to sell more caps, just do them in team colors like they'd wear every day, but with a flag pattern in the logo, and put the American flag in place of the New Era logo. No gold trim, no league logos, no sublimated designs.

I think we just found the line that a sports league won't cross for the sake of patriotism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

 

MLB states that it donates their "licensed royalties" to "MLB charities," but does not disclose the figures.

 

On top of how bloated and wasteful most big charities are, MLB is likely donating a pretty small amount of the total sale.

Look up Nick Francona's rant on the MLB charity arm and how they treated Memorial Day sales and the like.


Someone mentioned how the Susan G Koleman   (sp?) foundation pretty much is a brand these days and allocates a small portion of charitable donations to actual charities too. I think that's why MLB stopped working with them.

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mlb-criticized-lack-transparency-camo-uniforms-article-1.4013229


What I remember from the twitter rank from NICK was that MLB claims a portion of the proceeds went to charity yet  he couldn't get answers to how much it donated and where it was going. After he reached out to Welcome Home Veterns (Someone with the Mets started it, Wilpon?) he found out MLB actually didn't donate anything for a few years period. MLB eventually gave the donation late, as they were caught- and decided to start working with other charities afterwards and distance itself from one charity.


Nick also blasted lids and other retalers for the same thing, selling the items and keeping the profit while profiting off the death of vets on memorial day.


It was a well thought out rant I thought, and really exposed MLB for what it was doing... using charity as a means to make more money.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because cheap displays of patriotism are easier than actually doing anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

love the league logos on the sides of these hats — wish they’d just make a Tribe hat with the AL logo on the side that isn’t stars and stripes driven.

 

Tribe jerseys reinforce that the road jerseys can have red lettering, too.

 

 

 

I would very much welcome the Indians becoming a predominantly red team as part of a post-Wahoo rebrand.  Maybe even a wine red like the Cavs.

 

It feels like, without the baggage of a clunky logo that needed navy blue caps to stand out, they're finally free to seek an identity that allows them to stand out. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NicDB said:

 

I would very much welcome the Indians becoming a predominantly red team as part of a post-Wahoo rebrand. 

 

 

Yes

 

7 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Maybe even a wine red like the Cavs.

 

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Angels are the worst offenders.  The lettering and numbers are barely readable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I’m gonna drop this statement here and run because I know it’s gonna get hammered, but (stars aside), I like the dodgers with blue front numbers. Before you crucify me, I know it’s tradition, it’s been that way forever, they’ll look too much like the royals, etc. I get that and all the arguments for. I just don’t feel red is justified cause it’s used in a few stripes of a logo that is barely used (if anything, I think they are identified mostly by the cap logo). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this