NFL Increases Use of Alternate Uniforms in 2018

NFL Increases Use of Alternate Uniforms in 2018

July 2, 2018 - 15:06 PM

The National Football League is letting their hair down and unbuttoning their top collar, the league is relaxing their super strict uniform policy. Well, one part of it anyways. For several years now NFL uniform rules have forced teams to […]

Read More...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Proof that if you cry enough, your parents will do anything to shut you up. The only teams that are improved by this are the Panthers, Chargers and Rams. 

The Jags improved, too. I was wondering if they changed it in April. The Jags kept saying they would wear teal three times a year.

So for a team that wore color rush and alts 2x last year the net effect is zero, correct? From what I'm gathering the only net change is that wearing CR is no longer tied to Th games but the minimum requirement for wearing primary uniforms has not been set lower.

43 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The Jags improved, too. I was wondering if they changed it in April. The Jags kept saying they would wear teal three times a year.

Yes since the teal is apparently the Color Rash get-up.  The teal in all honesty should be the primary uniform colour with the black being the alternate.

i believe there is (or will be) another part to this. don't take it as a sure thing, but i think they're going to let teams wear 2 alternate uniforms as well. for example, the Rams would wear their throwbacks twice and their yellow CR uniform once, or however they would like to divide that up. and since the CR is not a required thing anynmore, they could choose exactly when they wanted to wear those uniforms

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

38 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i believe there is (or will be) another part to this. don't take it as a sure thing, but i think they're going to let teams wear 2 alternate uniforms as well. for example, the Rams would wear their throwbacks twice and their yellow CR uniform once, or however they would like to divide that up. and since the CR is not a required thing anynmore, they could choose exactly when they wanted to wear those uniforms

Aren't the Bears wearing their new orange alternates AND the "Monsters of the Midway" throwbacks as well?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/chicago-bears-unveil-orange-alternate-jersey-2018

58 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Based on that interpretation the only difference is the Thursday night/color rush game assignment is no longer mandatory. The maximum amount of games to wear non-primary uniforms is unchanged from last year. The reporting on this topic has been way too ambiguous to clearly understand if there will be any major changes. What apparently does hold true is that the rams getting some sort of waiver or significant benefit from a rule change is not going to materialize. 

6 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Does this include the playoffs too? Like if the Rams decided to only wear their throwbacks twice during the season, could they now choose to wear them a third time in a playoff game?

I'm wondering about this too. The old rules used to be a team could wear an alternate uniform/jersey twice in the regular season and once in the preseason. Does the new rules allow the 3 allotments to be anywhere from the preseason, regular season, and postseason?

4 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I'm wondering about this too. The old rules used to be a team could wear an alternate uniform/jersey twice in the regular season and once in the preseason. Does the new rules allow the 3 allotments to be anywhere from the preseason, regular season, and postseason?

I’m assuming you’d be allowed. Im thinking this is a rule that favors teams like the rams who have a mess right now or the bears who are apparently using 4 jerseys this year and are fairly popular for merch sales. Take those two teams and put them in the playoffs. I’m sure the bears would be regular, but the rams would be in alternates. Just my guess and could see the league wanting that.

KISSwall09.jpg

The fans are almost as responsible as the rams since they voted for the white horns/mask/stripe, knowing how awful it would look.  

Obv the team screwed up several times, but the fans could’ve bailed them out. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The fans are almost as responsible as the rams since they voted for the white horns/mask/stripe, knowing how awful it would look.  

Obv the team screwed up several times, but the fans could’ve bailed them out. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the fan vote on the helmet for just the facemask? I seem to recall that the team had already decided to wear the white horns and left the blue vs. white mask up to the fans, along with the pant stripes.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Matito said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the fan vote on the helmet for just the facemask? I seem to recall that the team had already decided to wear the white horns and left the blue vs. white mask up to the fans, along with the pant stripes.

You are correct

2 hours ago, dont care said:

I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to be worn in the playoffs without a waiver like the chargers did back in the mid 2000’s to wear their powder blues.

Actually, that was the late 2000s.

And I notice something. I see how the late 2000s doesn't get acknowledge like the early/mid 2000s does. Just a general observation.

16 hours ago, guest23 said:

Based on that interpretation the only difference is the Thursday night/color rush game assignment is no longer mandatory. The maximum amount of games to wear non-primary uniforms is unchanged from last year. The reporting on this topic has been way too ambiguous to clearly understand if there will be any major changes. 

from my understanding, teams can have 2 alternates — one of them doesn't have to be a CR uniform, and it doesn't have to be a throwback. theoretically, a team could choose to wear 2 throwbacks or 2 new alternates; the Titans might decide to have a silver, a light blue, a navy, and a white jersey in their rotation. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 7/2/2018 at 11:27 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Slippery slopes suck.

Is it really a slippery slope though? I think teams should be allowed a little flexibility. Though there are some pretty bad alternates/monochrome alts. Or there could be the possibility of some more bad ones in the future. But, given the option, you can't assume that every team is going to eventually look like Oregon. I'm just not sure you should read too much into it. You don't know what's going to happen, or how many teams will do anything with this.

22 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

Is it really a slippery slope though? though? I think teams should be allowed a little flexibility. Though there are some pretty bad alternates/monochrome alts. Or there could be the possibility of some more bad ones in the future. But, given the option, you can't assume that every team is going to eventually look like Oregon. I'm just not sure you should read too much into it. You don't know what's going to happen, or how many teams will do anything with this.

Sure, not every team.  But given the option, some will take it. 

This is why it's called a "slippery slope";  In 2000 (I'm pretty sure), every team had one dark jersey and one white jersey.  Then the NFL gave teams the option to add an alternate, either a throwback or a recoloring of the primary. The rules were fairly strict... wear it only twice and only at home. Then (slippery slope) teams started to wear them on the road, occasionally (Carolina specifically).  What's the big deal, right? Except that then becomes the new normal, the new envelope to be pushed against. Fast forward to 2015.  We get color rush, allowing teams, if they choose, to have four jerseys (slippery slope)... home, road, alternate/throwback, and color rush (for the record, by my quick count, 12 teams fall into this 4-jersey category). At first, the rules are again fairly strict... non-color rush alternates can only be worn twice, color rush jerseys can only be worn in specifically designated color rush games. Now, the color rush "experiment" is proven to be a big "who cares" for 99% of NFL fans, so it's tossed. However, teams still want to sell... um, I mean wear their color rush jersey, so (very slippery slope) we now get a further relaxing of the rules, to the point where a team like the Rams can have a jersey that's technically their primary, and literally never wear it.

The problem is that once everyone gets used to a new normal, if a team wants to push the boundaries, there's no where to go but further. That's why Oregon (since you mentioned them) became such a visual mess a few years ago... they tried so hard to stay ahead of everyone else (and everyone else tried so hard to catch up with them) that they tripped right over their own cutting edge.

The one helmet rule (or as I like to call it, the Righteous, Majestic, God-Given ONE HELMET RULE!) is the only thing saving the NFL from looking as stupid and chaotic as MLB (where on any given night two teams can play each other while both wearing blue jerseys) or the NBA (where every team has at least one jersey that makes it impossible for anyone who isn't a diehard fan to even know who the F they are).

So... "is it really a slippery slope?"  Yes... it's the exact definition of slippery slope.

Archived