Professional Fighters League MMA?

4_tattoos

I'm just a casual MMA fan at best. Pretty much only watch the UFC events that air on Fox and FS1. Saw one Bellator event before Spike TV was dropped from my cable package a few years ago. Is PFL a new company? Only did a brief search before making this post, and saw that it has a "regular season and playoffs" format. Different from the usual year round model MMA/boxing tends to have, but kind of an interesting concept.

Can anybody that follows MMA more thoroughly than I do chime in? Is this a serious promotion within the MMA world? Or is it something that won't likely be around a year from now? 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The World Series of Fighting (WSOF) basically rebranded as the PFL and is now focusing on putting on tournaments with a million dollar prize for the winners.  They generally sign the guys that the UFC and Bellator don't want or know about, so take what you want from that.

They haven't finished any of their tournaments yet, so no way to tell whether or not the million dollar check is gonna bounce and the tent folds up on the guys.  As it stands they are a 3rd tier organization; better than regional promotions but a rung below Bellator and obviously the UFC.

Did some further research and saw that this company is based in Washington DC, including Capitals and Wizards owner Ted Leonsis as an investor. So I guess that means I shouldn't expect to see any UFC events at Capital One Arena as long as this league is running lol

Heard of the WSOF before. So it's not truly new. I'll give them this, they managed to get their events aired live on NBCSN. That's impressive for a third tier company. Then again, outside of Premier League and NHL, NBCSN doesn't really offer any top tier programming.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

14 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Did some further research and saw that this company is based in Washington DC, including Capitals and Wizards owner Ted Leonsis as an investor. So I guess that means I shouldn't expect to see any UFC events at Capital One Arena as long as this league is running lol

Heard of the WSOF before. So it's not truly new. I'll give them this, they managed to get their events aired live on NBCSN. That's impressive for a third tier company. Then again, outside of Premier League and NHL, NBCSN doesn't really offer any top tier programming.

It is likely a barter deal, just as the previous WSOF contracts. The last one ran from 2014-17.

NBC Sports paid WSOF $0.

Archived