Fictional Baseball Team -- Cincinnati Cougars (Updated Cougar Head Logo 07-12)

vtgco

Hello, everybody, vtgco here...

I just finished up another brief graphic design class, and made this concept as one of my projects.

cincinnati_presentation_001.jpg

jersey_presentation_001.png

The font for the wordmarks is Cimbrian, but I made the C's and Q's from scratch to closer resemble my cap logo. The number & name font is Jersey M54. And since this class gave me access to Photoshop CS6, I got my first chance to use @rsaline's very pretty (albeit a bit confusing with all the smart objects) template. The jerseys are pretty plain because this was my first go at it...

The goal here was to make a team in a sorta similar style to the Detroit Tigers, with the blackletter font and different cap logo C from the wordmark. The colors are meant to be an old-school adaption of FC Cincinnati's.

Finally, to try out some more Photoshop features, I made a patch version!

cougar_logo_patch_jmelmon_001.png

Any suggestions are appreciated, but it might be a bit before I get access to CS6 again... Still, let me know what you think! Thanks!

Love the wordmark and the C. The cougar head needs work. It’s an awkward shape, the snout is not rotated with the rest of the head, and there’s a ton of blank space between the snout and the eyes.  Were you working from a reference image?

On 7/7/2018 at 8:06 AM, appleclock said:

Love the wordmark and the C. The cougar head needs work. It’s an awkward shape, the snout is not rotated with the rest of the head, and there’s a ton of blank space between the snout and the eyes.  Were you working from a reference image?

I was working from a reference photo. I noticed how the cougar's eyes were very small in that picture, and increased their relative size in my logo.

I also hoped that the shape would be kinda reminiscent of old-timey animal logos.

However, I see that the awkward spacing is still an issue, and maybe I'll address it sometime soon. Glad to hear that you like the cap logo!

This is fantastic.. I really get the old-timey feel of the cougar logo.. 

If you're not trying to alter the actual design of the cougar logo, but want to address the empty space issue, I might suggest doing so with the stitching of the thread in the patch - sort of a 3D effect in real-life, but even in a 2D rendering, it would help suggest nose/snout outline etc..

Kinda like what you've already done with the ears

So, I tried to take @appleclock and @WavePunter's advice to modify the cougar head logo!

cougar_head_v2_display.jpg

As you can see, I tried a version with a lighter color scheme. I'm a bit worried that the new orange version looks too much like a tiger... :/

The face is a front view now, removing the awkward 3/4-view shape from the original.

I also added some nose lines and other shadows to fill more of the space and give more sense of depth.

Patches again! (I did them in Inkscape and Photoshop Elements this time, so they're a bit different than the old one...)

patch_v2_display_001.jpg

What do you all think? Is this version an improvement? Any C&C for this logo or the other stuff is appreciated! Thanks!

• vtgco changed the title to Fictional Baseball Team -- Cincinnati Cougars (Updated Cougar Head Logo 07-12)

Honestly, I prefer the original.. I think the additional design elements are a bit too much.. I think the regular fur color stitching, but changing directions, would accomplish the goal without adding too much.. 

I actually prefer the original head shape as well.. I think it lends itself to the old timey feel

Archived