Sierra Mist? Mist Twst?

On 7/11/2018 at 8:10 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

The sheer number of logos this soda has gone through is absolutely mind-boggling.

I guess they're just throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks. Pepsi has to trot out a lemon-lime soda option for Pepsi-licensed restaurants and so people can buy a lemon-lime soda when Pepsi family 12-packs go on sale $4/10 or whatever - but that's the only reason it exists, right? Is anybody really actively seeking out Sierra Mist over Sprite and/or 7-Up?

It's partially the reason, but it's in their best interest to have a lemon/lime soda of their own. That's why they've kept trying post-Teem in the 60's.

Back when they introduced Slice in the 80's, it couldn't be national due to a large percentage of their bottlers also bottled and distributed 7Up. 7Up never had an adequate distribution system and the owner at the time, Philip Morris (who also owned Miller Brewing in an effort to diversify from tobacco), has deals with Pepsi bottlers.

During this time, while Coca Cola was consolidating the independent bottlers to form Coca Cola Enterprises, Pepsi still had 180+ independent bottlers, most with exclusive deals with 7Up.

This Medium story from a former Dr. Pepper exec details the old soda business and how the FDA gets involved.

https://medium.com/marketing-today/soft-drink-distribution-is-fascinating-8aecdcb016fc

It took PepsiCo awhile to consolidate bottlers. In 1987, they had 187 but in 1998 at the time Yum! was spun off, they cut that number to 122. It was around the introduction of Sierra Mist.  PepsiCo now owns 85% of their bottlers now. Owning bottlers makes it easier to get new product into stores.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this will just make me sound old, but I remember when you had a big thirst you would "blow it away with Teem"...

150px-Teem_Soda_1980s_zpsetjiuidb.jpg

The name is still used South America, Honduras, South Africa and Egypt.

Pepsi can't seem to settle on a name. In the vein of everything going retro... why not bring it back?

Nice! I find it interesting that the diet version of Sierra Mist has now had 3 different names to describe being sugar free.

Diet Sierra Mist, Sierra Mist Free, then back to Diet Sierra Mist, then Diet Mist Twst and now Sierra Mist Zero Sugar.

I don't know if it's more sad or more maddening that they had to make their new cans, look so much like their competition, Sprite.

Are they hoping someone will grab their can thinking they are grabbing a Sprite by accident.

smist_zpstdgbblqj.png  sprite_zpscbsrquhm_1.jpg?t=1531924304

I don't know if you all read the Buc-cees/Choke Canyon thread, but if Buc-cee's can win that one, why wouldn't Coca-Cola go after Pepsi for designing their Sierra Mist cans to be so similar to their Sprite. I'm guessing the answer is they didn't Trademark a can design, but yikes Pepsi pay your marketing teams to have an original idea.

20 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

I know this will just make me sound old, but I remember when you had a big thirst you would "blow it away with Teem"...

150px-Teem_Soda_1980s_zpsetjiuidb.jpg

The name is still used South America, Honduras, South Africa and Egypt.

Pepsi can't seem to settle on a name. In the vein of everything going retro... why not bring it back?

That's such a bizarre name. "Teeming," as an adjective, is primarily used to describe large numbers of small, disgusting things.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

On 7/10/2018 at 8:22 AM, Gobbi said:

Canadian here... We don't have Sierra Mist around my neck of the woods. Does it taste like Sprite/7up?

It tastes like Sprite. More or less Pepsi's version of it. (Sprite is owned by Coke).

Archived