International Football 2018-2019

TrueYankee26

22 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

That is a lot of money to spend on a dude so you can sell some shirts in America.

Let’s not forget the kid has tons of potential. Although a club notorious for failing to develop promising youngsters may not have been the best landing spot for him. 

spacer.png

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the one hand, as a concerned USMNT fan, yeah Chelsea is horrible for development generally, and Pulisic doesn't even seem like he'd get the loan treatment a la Miazga.

On the other, I feel like he has a better shot at breaking through to regular play at Chelsea, with Pulisic's positions currently occupied by guys who are aging or on their way out this summer. Hard to see Pulisic breaking into Liverpool's current attack.

As a mostly neutral I'd much rather buy a Liverpool than Chelsea kit, but whatever. Happy for the kid at any rate, hope he can get more playing time the second half of this year.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I'm not going to buy either shirt, but I'm excited for him.

This makes him the most talented American in the Premier League yes? Does he have any other competition than Yedlin?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 1 month later...

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-us-soccer-proposes-new-tournament-with-south-american-teams-in-2020-232543551.html

U.S. Soccer wants to start a new tournament with South American teams in 2020. The federation has reportedly already sent an invite to South America’s 10 soccer federations, according to the New York Times.

Carlos Cordeiro, U.S. Soccer President, sent an offer to those federations Tuesday. There’s nearly $200 million in guarantees in that offer, according to the Times.

In the letter, Cordeiro said U.S. Soccer was offering to underwrite the new event and guarantee each nation — and both confederations — millions of dollars in appearance fees, subsidized travel and bonuses for each point earned. The champions could take home a prize of more than $11 million.

The new tournament would contain 16 teams, 10 from South America and six from CONCACAF, which includes North America, Central America and the Caribbean. It would reportedly feature a group stage and a knockout round.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So . . . every 4 years we'll have a Tournament of the Americas and every 2 years a Gold Cup. I've also heard this tournament could eventually replace the Gold Cup. That's good for the top teams in Concacaf but not for the smaller countries that are lucky to squeeze into the Gold Cup but won't be able to make this new tourney.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ajax is beating Real Madrid 3-0... at the Bernabeu 👀

EDIT: Asensio literally finishes one as I type the sentence. 3-1. 

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Ajax is beating Real Madrid 3-0... at the Bernabeu 👀

EDIT: Asensio literally finishes one as I type the sentence. 3-1. 

The free kick from Schöne was a treat.

Though the third goal shouldn’t have counted, Real were a little overdue to get burned by a bad referee decision. Always great to see a big dog go down. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

57 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

PSG’s cursed. Only way to explain it. 

Indeed. Looking like a real possibility that all four English sides progress to the quarters, while France, Italy, and Germany may get shut out completely

Don’t think we have any resident PSG fans here on the boards (if you’re out there, feel free to chime in), so just a general question to everybody. 

If you’re a PSG fan, which devastating UCL elimination is worse: 6-1, or tonight?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Don’t think we have any resident PSG fans here on the boards (if you’re out there, feel free to chime in), so just a general question to everybody. 

If you’re a PSG fan, which devastating UCL elimination is worse: 6-1, or tonight?

Tonight. At least Barca had their full compliment and several shady calls to escape. All PSG had to do was beat a team missing it's best three midfielders, second best forward and four top flight players that were behind them on the depth chart. I still can't figure why Kimbempe put his back to the player instead of jumping straight up. Anytime you do that your arm flails outward and you risk being called for handball. That VAR ref was on top of it because everyone else was getting ready for a corner until he said to make sure it was or wasn't in the box.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

33 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Tonight. At least Barca had their full compliment and several shady calls to escape. All PSG had to do was beat a team missing it's best three midfielders, second best forward and four top flight players that were behind them on the depth chart. I still can't figure why Kimbempe put his back to the player instead of jumping straight up. Anytime you do that your arm flails outward and you risk being called for handball. That VAR ref was on top of it because everyone else was getting ready for a corner until he said to make sure it was or wasn't in the box.  

I agree wholeheartedly. 6-1 was more shocking, for sure, but tonight would hurt more. Countless missed chances plus both of Utd’s earlier goals were massive mistakes. With the squad they’ve got, even without Neymar and Cavani, it’s an embarrassment. 

spacer.png

You could always spin the yarn of Barcelona being the better team than PSG were, in addition to the other points MJ noted, to help, I dunno, not "explain away" because that's flimsy but at least help yourself sleep easier at night about. Also, I'm not sure PSG wins the competition that year anyway but that's an easy excuse after the fact.

Yesterday was a 2-0 away lead, coming home, against a battered Manchester United side. Obsensibly, they're a better team than United even if United was closer to full strength, which they weren't at all. All they had to do was not concede at least two goals to a team they held to a clean sheet at home. And they weren't able to do it. Individual errors ruled the day, of course, but they also had a chance or two themselves to completely finish the game off and failed to do so (Mbappe's chance somewhere around the 82nd minute comes to mind immediately). They left themselves prone to individual errors deciding the tie, and that's what happened. It's inexplicable that they left themselves so vulnerable, but, they did.

spacer.png

I also feel very torn about this result, because despite the fact that Mbappe is one of my favorite non-Liverpool players on the planet, I really don't care for PSG, so this result to me is hilarious.  The only thing stopping me from full-on indulging on schadenfreude is that fact that Manchester United benefited from it.  But at least they've got a decently likable manager now.

spacer.png

Archived