Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

22 minutes ago, M4One said:

Ah, minor league baseball.  Where you expect it to be one thing and it ends up completely something different.  Definitely was not expecting a rocking chair to be in the logo.

That's the best part - High Point, North Carolina styles itself the "Furniture Capital of the World".

• Like 1

I'm no artist, but there seems to be some heavy over analyzing of this logo.  The team got exactly

what they wanted, I'm sure. It's their dime. The logo seems to be well received here. I don't think

one fan cares to pick it apart and critique it. LOL 

19 minutes ago, Soblito said:

I'm no artist, but there seems to be some heavy over analyzing of this logo.  The team got exactly

what they wanted, I'm sure. It's their dime. The logo seems to be well received here. I don't think

one fan cares to pick it apart and critique it. LOL 

True...but this is a forum dedicated to sports logos. A big part of the reason why folks are here is to pick stuff apart and debate the merits of different design choices. I'll be the first to admit that there are conversations that take place here that I have zero interest in (when people start comparing and contrasting the stripe thickness on socks my eyes start to glaze over)...but ultimately most (all?) of us are here to scratch a very particular itch. It doesn't have to be your thing...but understand that it's likely to be someone's thing. 

• Like 1

So, the article on the main site did a really bad job explaining just what the promotion actually is. 

The Lugnuts are doing a Backyard Baseball themed night. Backyard Baseball for those who aren't initiated, was a (fantastic) children's sports video game from the 90s (based on the comments, a lot of people aren't familiar). One of the main features was that you selected your team's name from two lists, one of descriptors and one of mascots. Those are the name choices that are being selected here.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

So, the article on the main site did a really bad job explaining just what the promotion actually is. 

The Lugnuts are doing a Backyard Baseball themed night. Backyard Baseball for those who aren't initiated, was a (fantastic) children's sports video game from the 90s (based on the comments, a lot of people aren't familiar). One of the main features was that you selected your team's name from two lists, one of descriptors and one of mascots. Those are the name choices that are being selected here.

Ah yes...I have SUCH fond memories of that game!

The key to winning the Ultra Grand Championship of the Universe:

Have Angela Delvecchio as your pitcher, Stephanie Morgan as your shortstop, Keisha Phillips as your catcher, and (this is really important)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PABLO SANCHEZ,

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

26 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ew.  That’s pretty bad.  The color scheme has promise, but... yeah, that’s about it. 

The whole idea behind the name is to honor Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner, who is from Frederick and is buried in the cemetery right next to the stadium. The mascot that parades around the stadium and in the community is "Keyote" the Coyote and the only time they've ever used Scott Key that at least I can remember is a failed mascot attempt from a few years ago in the form of "Fran-Key". The idea behind the nickname is understandable, but the execution is 100 yards away. Either beef up the identity or scrap it altogether and come up with a new one.

5 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Considering the connections to the American flag, I could see them pulling something off... something patriotic? Oh, but that would mean another generic red, white and blue color scheme! :rolleyes:

Speaking of patriotic, they used to have logos incorporating an eagle. 

FrederickKeys2.gif

Featuring Jayson Werth pre long hair with some sweet sideburns @DC in Da House w/o a Doubt

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-CAN7vr2NGfXLhI30hNF

I think it would be a good idea to bring back that eagle logo, but try to modernize it.

Another idea I have is maybe they should try to incorporate music imagery into their logo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

While the Frederick Keys have arguably the worst identity in the Carolina League, one of the newest additions to the League, Down East Wood Ducks have arguably the best:

15896112_1807587929507764_71286142567021

It's good, but I would replace either one of the logos with the duck holding a branch logos with something different. Maybe a duck's foot? Then again, a duck's foot in the third logo from the left wouldn't look too bad, either. Either that, or at least give the duck a different expression to use in another logo or two.

Edited by DustDevil61
Different expression
  • Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

7 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

It's good, but I would replace either one of the logos with the duck holding a branch logos with something different. Maybe a duck's foot? Then again, a duck's foot in the third logo from the left wouldn't look too bad, either. Either that, or at least give the duck a different expression to use in another logo or two.

I agree. What I see is a logo, a partial of that, then a partial of that. There's gotta be some type of difference.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I didn't  realize until today that the summer collegiate Coastal Plain League's High Point-Thomasville HiToms have apparently begun using a new primary logo.

High Point-Thomasville HiToms Logo

Nice modernization...a shame the team's future is uncertain with the AtL's Rockers arriving next year.

bYhYmxh.png

I disagree - this is pretty bad.

33985677_1650089625044985_61392017715888128_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=466f9e66f56daef26f16f7cf6c84428e&oe=5BDC1D38

The basic idea is good, but there's just too much there.  The baseball seams in the eyes are especially egregious.  The two uses of stars are also odd.  I even think it might be better with one-color lettering instead of adding an outline to that font with its fairly busy serifs, or at least flip it to make white text with a red outline.  The whole thing becomes a mess at smaller sizes.

6342jH9CpB-BJXLXXElFODupnNhvQhJ8fm5DB8Kf

• Like 1