Pharos04

First MLB Game Memories

44 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

- By my count there were 5 Hall of Famers on the field that day …

- Other notable players: Kenny Lofton (who I believed to be the fastest person ever at the time) …

This feels like a good time for a “Kenny Lofton got absolutely screwed by the BBWAA and all the steroid guys never getting off the ballot” rant, but that’s neither here nor there.

I’m sure my first MLB game was an Indians game, but I would’ve been too young to remember it. I think I went to a game at Three Rivers, too, but again wouldn’t remember it.

The first MLB game I really remember going to was a Reds game in the final year at Riverfront (well, Cinergy Field then) when the left- and center-field seats were gone due to the GABP construction. Don’t remember much about the actual game, but I remember thinking the setting was so cool with the stadium a quarter demolished. That was the summer I turned 7, which feels right for a true first memory.

First MLB game was Braves vs. Pirates at Turner Field July 15, 2007 that my family went to for my birthday. I remember we sat in the left field seats and Freddy Sanchez hit a solo home run (the Pirates' lone run that game). I don't remember much else from that other than us standing in line to run the bases after the game, then leaving because the line was too long. 

I honestly don't remember a lot. It was a Rangers game against the Orioles at the Ballpark in Arlington (whatever it's called now). Cal Ripken Jr. was still playing which was cool. I also got to pee in a bottle because we were stuck in rush hour traffic for so long that I couldn't hold it. I almost filled up the bottle like that bit in Dumb and Dumber, but without a backup bottle, so that was pretty terrifying. 

The only thing I remember for certain is that it was a Rockies home game at Mile High Stadium in their inaugural season against the Mets.

The Rangers were playing the Reds in 2002.  I don't remember which game it was; I thought I remembered the Reds winning but looking at the boxscores the only game between the two that the Reds won had Pudge coming off the bench, and I remember him playing most if not the entire game.

I don't remember much of the game but I got Wilton Guerrero (Vlad's brother) to sign a ball, so that was cool.

The Red Sox played the newly Devil-less Rays and I had a great view of a Coco Crisp grand slam over the Monster. Also the game where Wally pulled down Raymond's pants pretty much right in front of me.

I remember my first rangers game... a rainout.

The first I remember was in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium to see the Orioles take on Nolan Ryan and the Texas Rangers. Based on what I'm seeing on baseball reference, I'm thinking it was April 20, 1991, but I'm honestly not sure.

I went to my first MLB game when I was a baby, so I have no memory of it.  It was the Mets vs. Dodgers at Dodger Stadium in 1990.

Cubs visiting Three Rivers in 1985. I was three, all I remember is running around the concourse and going to the bathroom a lot. Took my daughter to her first game when she was only 4 months old, Tigers at Rays 2012. My old boss had some seats in the club, behind glass so it wasn't too noisy for a baby.  

Tigers v Oakland A's in 1992 (age 7) at Tiger Stadium with my mom and dad. Loved it. 

My oldest son's first game was in 2014 when he was also 7, at PNC Park when we took a trip to Pittsburgh, Pirates v Diamondbacks. Great experience as well.

My youngest son's was later than same year at Comerica against the Royals, when he was 5. 

We've since made a tradition of going to at least one game a year. Last year was Verlander's last game as a Tiger. 

My very first game still remains the absolute worst game I’ve ever been to in terms of on the field product. It was Orioles vs A’s at the Coliseum the very day Mark McGwire was traded to the Cardinals. We went specifically to see McGwire as he was my absolute favorite athlete ever at the time. Neither team could hit a damn thing, and I’m pretty sure the A’s walked in the winning run in the top of the 8th. Orioles won 1-0. 

The next next year though was the first time my dad took me to a game just him and I. It was Reds-Cardinals in St. Louis, right in the thick of McGwire’s Home run chase. He struck out twice, popped out on the highest pop fly I’ve ever seen, and then they sat him. I don’t remember the final score, but the Reds won. This one was pretty special for my dad as he grew up dirt poor and fatherless in St. Louis and always wished he had a dad who took him to games like his friends did. Being able to do that with me was a really important moment in his life, and even being a really young kid I think I sort of understood that. He still talks about that game and that was 20 years ago and hundreds and hundreds of sporting events later. I still have the ticket stubs from that game and I really want to do something special with them for him. 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, leopard88 said:

Thank God Ferdinand Cesarano is around to keep from feeling too old.  😀

Let me help as well...

First game was a home game for the closest team to us in New Orleans, the Houston Astros; summer 1973.   I was 8.   Did that as part of a longer family vacation-- my then-stepfather was a cheap bastard and we either travel-camped, staying in our Sears cabin tent in KOAs and such across the SOUTH in the SUMMERTIME, or crashed with family or friends in their homes.

That particular trip we drove to Houston, set up the tent at a KOA on the outskirts, went to eat at someplace in the Galleria, then went to the game in the Astrodome. I remember lots of little things about the game--they played the Mets; we sat on the first base side, lower level; Doug Rader hit a home run; someone not far from us caught a foul ball barehanded; that old animated scoreboard was a visual masterpiece; it was the first time I had ever heard of 'air hockey' (it was on an ad for the Astrodome's arcade room); we bought two pennants (an orange one and a blue one, one each for my sister and me, which were both on the wall in our garage for years afterward);  and I was overwhelmed in a pleasant way by the sheer size of the joint, the humongous crowd, and all of the sounds-- especially the vendors yelling "Peanuts! Cold Beer!".  I also fell asleep on the way back to the campground after the game.

The next day was spent at Astroworld before heading up to stops in Jackson MS,  Starkville, MS,  Birmingham, AL, and Bardstown, KY for the remainder of our journey.

August 24th, 2003

What started as a day of excitement at Skydome quickly turned into a day to forget as the Blue Jays lost 17-2 to the Oakland A's

Luckily for me I did not forget.

The first game I went to was the Dome in like late 2000's (05, 06) (yes I'm young as heck) I don't remember it. The first one I remember was Robby Cano hitting a dong to the batters eye

All I remember was it was a Dodgers/Giants game in 1988.

My first and only game so far was Orioles/Mariners at Safeco in 2015. I’ve told the story before elsewhere, but long story short, my grandparents who live in West Seattle got us all tickets while we went up to visit them, and my grandma told us on the way to the game, “the Mariners suck this year so I’m really sorry if your first game is a dud” or something like that. Turns out, Hisashi Iwakuma threw a no-hitter and I’ve never seen my grandma more pleasantly shocked in her life. It was an awesome moment and I’ll never forget it.

First ever game was a Pirates game in Pittsburgh for my birthday. Being an Indians fan, it was right during their sellout streak, and there was no way to get tickets easily or cheaply. So, the tradeoff was cheap tickets for the Pirates. They lost at Three Rivers, one of the worst baseball stadiums imaginable, 9-1... to the Florida Marlins. Such a boring game. Pitiful crowd. And the home team was out of it basically from the start. It would be many years before I attended another MLB game.

I don't really remember my first game persay, but have a a lot of little memories from a lot of the games I went to growing up. 

-My mom and dad got free tickets from where they worked a lot so the took my sis and I to tons and tons. I loved the Thursday afternoons when they would call and tell us that they were on their way home to go to the game and to get ready so we could leave as soon as they got home. 

-My first Cubs/Brewers game was in, I believe 1990 part of an exhibition series just before that season started.

-The first time I was at a game that actually had a rain delay was the first and last my fave male cousin at the time would take me to, he would pass away soon after that. My best friend at the time was with me, and we got a couple of balls thrown to us by some random Royals player. 

-One game Mike Dunleavy, then head coach of the Bucks, and I guess Mike Dunleavy Jr. sat in the box next to us. Which if you've ever been to County stadium, know they still had the old school box seats at field level. This was just before the 1994 Draft, and so desperately wanted them to draft Big Dog, Glenn Robinson, and I think successfully pitched my case, and got him to admit that yes they were going to draft him. And they did.

-And my first ever job was as a Vendor at that same stadium.

In 2008, my family was in San Diego because my dad had a conference there, and he took us along with him. We went to a Padres game (I forgot who they played), and I'm pretty sure they won. They had fireworks after the game and as we were leaving the stadium the people asked if I wanted to go down to the field and watch them, which we then did. All I really remember are the fireworks and the color light blue (I have no idea why). Apparently when I was 2 (in 2006) my parents took me to an Astros game (we lived in Houston at the time), but I don't remember any of it. They say that I was terrified of the mascot.