Sign in to follow this  
mungojerry311

The History Of The Midwest Hockey League

Greetings everyone. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been looking at all the amazing fictional leagues and concepts on the forum. Today, I have decided to take the plunge and start a fictional league of my own: the Midwest Hockey League. The league was started in 1921 by a few businessmen trying to prove to the skeptics that the Canadian game of hockey could succeed on American soil. The league started out as the Michigan Hockey League, as that state seemed like the perfect proving ground for hockey in America.

Here is the inaugural league logo:

dAlm14x.png

The color blue was chosen to represent the Great Lakes.

Here also is the Championship Trophy, known currently as the Michigan Cup:

XvMNziL.png

I have not been able to find a good hockey jersey template with the pants and helmet yet (maybe someone can point me to one) nor do I have logos, which will probably be very basic starting out. As you can probably tell by the above, my graphic design skills are rudimentary at best at this time. Hopefully, I'll be able to improve as this project goes forward based on the feedback I get. Once I have uniforms and logos I'll be sure to post them and get the inaugural season underway.

My question is: why did you start this? You said yourself you don't have any logos or even a template for jerseys. I'd take a step back, get your initial logos and jerseys ready, then start the post.

If you post the uniforms and logos one at a time, we can provide constructive criticism you can use to refine them and move forward. Otherwise, I can see this falling into the trap of story over design, and on these boards, they need to coexist.

1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

My question is: why did you start this? You said yourself you don't have any logos or even a template for jerseys. I'd take a step back, get your initial logos and jerseys ready, then start the post.

If you post the uniforms and logos one at a time, we can provide constructive criticism you can use to refine them and move forward. Otherwise, I can see this falling into the trap of story over design, and on these boards, they need to coexist.

First off, thanks for the advice. Second, to answer your question, I started this in hopes of improving my graphic design skills by having some incentive to do so, if that makes sense. As I mentioned in the initial post, my skills at this point are pretty basic as you can probably tell.

Posting the teams one at a time sounds much more doable than doing them all at once. I'm definitely going to do that. Thanks once again!