Sign in to follow this  
mungojerry311

The History Of The Midwest Hockey League

Greetings everyone. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been looking at all the amazing fictional leagues and concepts on the forum. Today, I have decided to take the plunge and start a fictional league of my own: the Midwest Hockey League. The league was started in 1921 by a few businessmen trying to prove to the skeptics that the Canadian game of hockey could succeed on American soil. The league started out as the Michigan Hockey League, as that state seemed like the perfect proving ground for hockey in America.

Here is the inaugural league logo:

dAlm14x.png

The color blue was chosen to represent the Great Lakes.

Here also is the Championship Trophy, known currently as the Michigan Cup:

XvMNziL.png

I have not been able to find a good hockey jersey template with the pants and helmet yet (maybe someone can point me to one) nor do I have logos, which will probably be very basic starting out. As you can probably tell by the above, my graphic design skills are rudimentary at best at this time. Hopefully, I'll be able to improve as this project goes forward based on the feedback I get. Once I have uniforms and logos I'll be sure to post them and get the inaugural season underway.

My question is: why did you start this? You said yourself you don't have any logos or even a template for jerseys. I'd take a step back, get your initial logos and jerseys ready, then start the post.

If you post the uniforms and logos one at a time, we can provide constructive criticism you can use to refine them and move forward. Otherwise, I can see this falling into the trap of story over design, and on these boards, they need to coexist.

1 hour ago, Dan O'Mac said:

My question is: why did you start this? You said yourself you don't have any logos or even a template for jerseys. I'd take a step back, get your initial logos and jerseys ready, then start the post.

If you post the uniforms and logos one at a time, we can provide constructive criticism you can use to refine them and move forward. Otherwise, I can see this falling into the trap of story over design, and on these boards, they need to coexist.

First off, thanks for the advice. Second, to answer your question, I started this in hopes of improving my graphic design skills by having some incentive to do so, if that makes sense. As I mentioned in the initial post, my skills at this point are pretty basic as you can probably tell.

Posting the teams one at a time sounds much more doable than doing them all at once. I'm definitely going to do that. Thanks once again!

I apologize for seemingly abandoning this thread. I started this in hopes of improving my graphic design skills through something which I enjoy: sports history. Intermittently over the last month and a half I've tried to get the inaugural logos and/or/uniforms for the league ready, but nothing seemed to be good enough to post. It has become very clear that my graphic design skills aren't good enough for a project such as this. I really thought I could do it. I really thought I could get by with the skills I have, using the C&C from others to improve my skills, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Unless someone can give me some fresh encouragement, this project is over. I'm sorry @Section30 for disappointing you, as you said you were looking forward to this. Therefore, the Michigan Cup will never be hoisted by any team and will be confined to a back room of a warehouse in Detroit. The Michigan Hockey League will fold before gaining any teams, and will mostly be forgotten. This is not the outcome I had in mind, but given my lackluster graphic design skills, I have no other choice.

Thanks everyone and I hope to see you around.

13 hours ago, mungojerry311 said:

I apologize for seemingly abandoning this thread. I started this in hopes of improving my graphic design skills through something which I enjoy: sports history. Intermittently over the last month and a half I've tried to get the inaugural logos and/or/uniforms for the league ready, but nothing seemed to be good enough to post. It has become very clear that my graphic design skills aren't good enough for a project such as this. I really thought I could do it. I really thought I could get by with the skills I have, using the C&C from others to improve my skills, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Unless someone can give me some fresh encouragement, this project is over. I'm sorry @Section30 for disappointing you, as you said you were looking forward to this. Therefore, the Michigan Cup will never be hoisted by any team and will be confined to a back room of a warehouse in Detroit. The Michigan Hockey League will fold before gaining any teams, and will mostly be forgotten. This is not the outcome I had in mind, but given my lackluster graphic design skills, I have no other choice.

Thanks everyone and I hope to see you around.

Don't feel bad, I've had plenty of ideas that never came to fruition or that I abandoned.

I will say this. The boards here are one of the best ways to improve on your concepts. If you do decide to give this series a try, don't feel pressured into doing everything all at once. Take your time, post when you're happy with a team or if you are stuck and want help. People here will help and give advice to improve your skills. You mention having lackluster design skills, we all did when we started, but we kept at it and with the help of constructive criticism of people on the boards have improved. Nothing is ever perfect, there are always things that you'll look back at years later and realize you would have done differently. Hell, I stumble across new things to make my designs better or easier to make damn near every time I make something.

Like I said, whether you decide to do this series or not is up to you, but if you do decide to give it a go don't be afraid or embarrassed of what you have. We've all been there before, designing takes time, it's not something you instantly are an expert at.

@mungojerry311 I must admit that I'm in a similar situation. I've been sitting on a concept league for a couple of months now, simply because I haven't worked up the courage to post my work online for the first time. I get how you feel right now buddy. But as of late, I've been realizing that this community really does want to help those who are new as long as you are willing to listen and put in the work. A lot of these threads made by beginners have failed only because the creators were simply unwilling to accept the C&C provided by the forum members. Just like @Section30 said, we're all beginners at some point. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll progress. I encourage you to keep going with the project, but the decision is completely up to you.

On 9/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Section30 said:

Don't feel bad, I've had plenty of ideas that never came to fruition or that I abandoned.

I will say this. The boards here are one of the best ways to improve on your concepts. If you do decide to give this series a try, don't feel pressured into doing everything all at once. Take your time, post when you're happy with a team or if you are stuck and want help. People here will help and give advice to improve your skills. You mention having lackluster design skills, we all did when we started, but we kept at it and with the help of constructive criticism of people on the boards have improved. Nothing is ever perfect, there are always things that you'll look back at years later and realize you would have done differently. Hell, I stumble across new things to make my designs better or easier to make damn near every time I make something.

Like I said, whether you decide to do this series or not is up to you, but if you do decide to give it a go don't be afraid or embarrassed of what you have. We've all been there before, designing takes time, it's not something you instantly are an expert at.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:11 PM, Griff 3man said:

@mungojerry311 I must admit that I'm in a similar situation. I've been sitting on a concept league for a couple of months now, simply because I haven't worked up the courage to post my work online for the first time. I get how you feel right now buddy. But as of late, I've been realizing that this community really does want to help those who are new as long as you are willing to listen and put in the work. A lot of these threads made by beginners have failed only because the creators were simply unwilling to accept the C&C provided by the forum members. Just like @Section30 said, we're all beginners at some point. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll progress. I encourage you to keep going with the project, but the decision is completely up to you.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed. I've decided in the end not to do this project after all, but instead do a basketball project, as I know more about the history of that sport. This time I should be better prepared. I'm working on at least a couple of jerseys for that project already.

So with that, this futile project is over. Again, thanks for the encouragement guys.