Portland Herons MLB Expansion Concept

nate.sweitz

Hey guys! I've been following the boards for a while but I wanted to make sure I was content with my design skills before I posted anything.

A couple months ago, there was a Portland MLB Expansion thread that caught my attention. I thought that the Herons would be a perfect identity for a Portland baseball team and  decided to run with it.

I designed a primary heron logo, a secondary featuring a heron in-flight, with the Portland skyline as a backdrop. The custom script is a modified version of Daily Grind, with rose-like accents added in reference to the Portland's moniker, the "city of roses".

The uniforms (presented using @rsaline 's excellent template) are inspired by a heron's plumage. The shoulder stripes and pants stripes, both distinctly thicker than traditional baseball stripes, mimic the coloration on a heron's wings. The cap features a gold brim, inspired by a heron's beak.

Creating the ballpark, Columbia Field (after the Portland-based company) was a fun experiment. I borrowed elements from AT&T ParkPNC ParkEbbets Field, among others, and used Portland's Fremont Bridge as a backdrop. If you stare at it long enough, it'll be very apparent that it was somewhat hastily assembled on Photoshop, but hopefully you guys get the idea.

I also created apparel, signage, and social media packages, presented using mockups I found online. I tried to give the branding a little bit of a vintage-ish vibe to appeal to Portland's hipsters.

If you're wondering why I chose the players I did, it was pretty arbitrary other than Daniel Norris, who seemed very Portland-y to me. 

Enjoy!

logos_slide.jpg

uniforms_slide.jpg

ballpark_slide.jpg

social_media_slide.jpg

apparel_slide.jpg

signage_slide.jpg

13 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Holy hell that is a good concept. Nice work!

13 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

The striping, for some reason, makes it look a little too minor league for me, but this is still one hell of a concept!

13 hours ago, DoctaC said:

Wow, this is incredible. That script is awesome, the jerseys look great, and I can really tell how much time and effort went into this project. Amazing work!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I can understand the stripes feeling a little minor league-ish, since they’re admittedly kind of gimmicky. I was going for a Pete-Rose-era Phillies look with the stripes to give them a retro 70's vibe.

p-490446-pete-rose-autographed-hand-sign

That is awesome.

A couple of things I'd like to see:

1) A cap with a "P" instead of the heron head

2) The full heron without the background. You could use that as a sleeve patch, hip logo, or other secondary logo.

Other than that, this is unbelievably perfect. I absolutely love it.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

10 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

That is awesome.

2) The full heron without the background. You could use that as a sleeve patch, hip logo, or other secondary logo.

I agree. The logos are well executed but with a major league team you’re expecting some kind of letter logo at least on one of the caps. (I know the Blue Jays and Orioles are both bird teams that get around that for the most part...)  The full heron without a background would look good as a secondary logo. The background of the primary is a little too picturesque for me—looks super great on a t-shirt but not really for a primary MLB logo. The uniforms are really amazing though.

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

This is a really nice concept! Excellent presentation. 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

That is awesome.

Thanks! I originally planned on using a white P on the cap, as evidenced by my preliminary sketches, but in the end I wanted to get my primary logo on the uniform somehow. I also felt like the P on the cap made them look a little TOO much like the Pete Rose Phillies. But anyway, here are a couple of P's I tried during my design process mocked up on the cap for comparison, with the isolated heron on the sleeve.

IMG_6328.jpg

daniel_norris_portland_herons_Cap_compar

Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_8.56.39_PM.png

7 hours ago, JakeMetivier78 said:

New member here. This has given me so much inspiration. Amazing work!

Thank you so much! That's awesome to hear!

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

On the navy blue alt jersey, either remove the number from the front altogether or move it to the left chest.

I mocked up both options. They both look more "major league," which is important, but I gotta say I still like the uniqueness of my original design. Just personal preference I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_8.53.44_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_8.54.17_PM.png

3 hours ago, appleclock said:

I agree. The logos are well executed but with a major league team you’re expecting some kind of letter logo at least on one of the caps. (I know the Blue Jays and Orioles are both bird teams that get around that for the most part...)  The full heron without a background would look good as a secondary logo. The background of the primary is a little too picturesque for me—looks super great on a t-shirt but not really for a primary MLB logo. The uniforms are really amazing though.

Thanks! I understand the criticism about the background for the heron. I was trying to work a roundel in there somewhere, and get a little more gold into the branding so it doesn't only appear on the cap. 

15 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

Thank you!

Thanks! I originally planned on using a white P on the cap, as evidenced by my preliminary sketches, but in the end I wanted to get my primary logo on the uniform somehow. I also felt like the P on the cap made them look a little TOO much like the Pete Rose Phillies. But anyway, here are a couple of P's I tried during my design process mocked up on the cap for comparison, with the isolated heron on the sleeve.

IMG_6328.jpg

daniel_norris_portland_herons_Cap_compar

Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_8.56.39_PM.png

Thank you so much! That's awesome to hear!

I mocked up both options. They both look more "major league," which is important, but I gotta say I still like the uniqueness of my original design. Just personal preference I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_8.53.44_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_8.54.17_PM.png

Thanks! I understand the criticism about the background for the heron. I was trying to work a roundel in there somewhere, and get a little more gold into the branding so it doesn't only appear on the cap. 

What if you take the wordmark "P", flip the navy  to white, but keep the baby blue trim and highlights.. Similar to the middle photo.. Great  work here!

Archived