Portland Herons MLB Expansion Concept

nate.sweitz

On 7/15/2018 at 9:11 PM, itsmb8 said:

The striping, for some reason, makes it look a little too minor league for me, but this is still one hell of a concept!

Ya know, i take this back.  The striping is starting to grow on me!

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

I agree with @daveindc, blue's a bit overdone. Also I don't really associate the color blue or herons with Portland (but what do I know?) I tend to think of greens and reds, which are less used in MLB. Still, if you have some reason you chose Herons for Portland, it can work.

That said, it's beautiful work. The heron logos are amazing, and the wordmark is perfect for Portland. The background of the roundel is a bit busy for a sleeve patch but still works really well on that T-shirt. Also, Columbia Field is a clever name.

Good job!

Hey guys! I was out of town for a week or so. I was excited to see some good C+C when I got back. Let's get to it!

On 7/17/2018 at 2:13 AM, CaptainKirkMN said:

Just because you chose to have the stadium called "Columbia Field," I wonder what this would look like with Columbia Blue.

There you go! Columbia version on the left, original on the right.chris_archer_portland_herons_color_compa

On 7/17/2018 at 11:53 AM, VikingsAiden said:

Could you maybe try the huron/P mashup letter that is on your preliminary sketches as the cap logo? The rest of the concept is great btw.

I tried it out, but I wasn't happy with the result at all. I'll post it if I get a chance to rework it.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:48 PM, WavePunter said:

What if you take the wordmark "P", flip the navy  to white, but keep the baby blue trim and highlights.. Similar to the middle photo.. Great  work here!

I've prepared three alternate caps. Let me know what you guys think!Portland_Herons_cap_comparisons.jpg

On 7/17/2018 at 5:42 PM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

:notworthy:

Haha thanks!

On 7/17/2018 at 6:51 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Wow...great-looking concept...Love the font, colours and logos.

(The crook of a heron's neck would mesh nicely with the seam on a baseball).

The presentation and merchandise samples are top-notch.

Very Nice.

Thanks Sparky! You're Seattle Hockey series was a huge inspiration for me. I had that thought as well, but I couldn't get the lacing on the ball to work as well as I wanted it to, so it didn't make the cut. Anyway, here it is:

Screen_Shot_2018-07-25_at_1.15.33_PM.png

On 7/17/2018 at 8:40 PM, TheAdmiral said:

I love the uniforms themselves, but the presentation is absolutely incredible. Great work!

Thank you!

On 7/19/2018 at 4:22 AM, daveindc said:

Great work, but MLB is already overcrowded with blue uniforms. Something like that would look great on Tampa Bay though.

Fair point. Maybe instead of an expansion team, this is a relocation of the Rays.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:46 PM, vtgco said:

I agree with @daveindc, blue's a bit overdone. Also I don't really associate the color blue or herons with Portland (but what do I know?) I tend to think of greens and reds, which are less used in MLB. Still, if you have some reason you chose Herons for Portland, it can work.

That said, it's beautiful work. The heron logos are amazing, and the wordmark is perfect for Portland. The background of the roundel is a bit busy for a sleeve patch but still works really well on that T-shirt. Also, Columbia Field is a clever name.

Good job!

Thank you! According to @Gothamite (whose post was a big inspiration for this project), it's their official bird.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:06 AM, Gothamite said:

Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, the last time we thought Portland might get an MLB club, “Herons” was often kicked around.  The Great Blue Heron is Portland’s official bird. 

http://audubonportland.org/news/great-blue-heron-week-june-1-june-12

Good fit with baseball’s bird theme, emblematic of the city and reflective of the local culture. 

This is an incredible concept.  It almost makes me hate PDX a little less... almost..

This color scheme would be a very easy transition for say, the Tampa Bay Rays to adopt should they ever decide to relocate.

mainescarf.png

• 4 months later...

Just catching up on this while researching my own Portland baseball concept.  This is really phenomenal.  Bravo.

Just to pile on some more feedback.  The ‘P’ cap doesn’t even seem optional. Gotta have one.  There’s something that feels good about rocking a hat with your city initials on it.  It’s a pride thing. Also, no matter how nice your heron logo looks, it’s never going to surpass the Blazers pinwheel as “the sports logo of Portland”.

The uniforms are basically spot on.  Colors and striping are perfection. My only beef is with the number font.  I feel like a simple athletic block font would feel better, but that might be a personal opinion. Rounded, slanted, modern numbers end up feeling dated fast (see: Lions, Detroit).

That stadium rendering/collage is awesome!  I don’t know if you’ve been following, but the MLB 2 PDX group just purchased land for a stadium at the base of the Fremont bridge.  Your concept may become reality sooner than you know!

Great work, inspiring stuff 👏👏👏

12 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

The uniforms are basically spot on.  Colors and striping are perfection. My only beef is with the number font.  I feel like a simple athletic block font would feel better, but that might be a personal opinion. Rounded, slanted, modern numbers end up feeling dated fast (see: Lions, Detroit).

I love the presentation and the identity as a whole, but I agree that the number font makes the set look more minor-league. I don't know if something as characterless as a standard block is the right way to go, but I'd look into it.

tinysig.jpg

• 2 months later...

Gotta admit your concept has the Portland/Oregon vibe without using the typical colors for other organizations. Nice work. I'm not a fan of the cap visor being a different color normally, but you nailed it here and it's a great compliment to the rest of the look. The Heron itself is solid, but what I think you nailed was the sketch of making the Heron into the P shape. It doesn't need to be the primary logo but as a fun alternative, Sprint Training cap or other merchandise could work so well. Tip of the cap to you.

Archived