nevermore//baltimore ravens redesign

BlackBolt3

Hey, so a lot has happened in my life since the last time I put a new concept up on the boards:

• Started my freshman year at Clemson
  • After less than a week on campus, was presented an opportunity to work with the athletic department's communications department to do graphics for social media
  • Actually got the job in October
  • Did the stuff you can see here (with a face reveal!)

So now that we've gotten that out the way, I have something for y'all to critique. I feel as though the current Ravens look is getting a bit stale, even though it is just about 20 years old. Here's my take:

JSKHjYN.png

yaAGOqO.png

egKUksl.png

JXlA0il.png

4iGRVXl.png

KEY POINTS:

• Brightened up the colors, new gold allows for better flexibility with textiles.
  • Primary logo retains the same general shape, but is modernized.
  • Secondary logo is now styled in a blackletter fashion, for a bit more gothic feel.
  • Maryland flag shield remains in a bit more simplified manner.
  • Wordmark attempts to capture the gothic theme while also being a simple script.

Like it? Don't like it? Just feel like saying something? Any feedback is appreciated.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

This is a great revamp. The new primary is super nice, it is clean and gives off a nice menacing raven vibe. The new tertiary also looks much better than the old one, as well as the watermarks.

My only question is what the double lines on the secondary is meant to be? I get that it’s a B, just not what the second line does.

Great work!

1 hour ago, DoctaC said:

This is a great revamp. The new primary is super nice, it is clean and gives off a nice menacing raven vibe. The new tertiary also looks much better than the old one, as well as the watermarks.

My only question is what the double lines on the secondary is meant to be? I get that it’s a B, just not what the second line does.

Great work!

It is supposed to be a modern interpretation of the blackletter style of font: printable-letter-canterbury-b.jpg?v=2

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I’m not digging the shape of the bird for some reason. Just not enough going on in the left side of the logo.  I’d keep playing around with the shape of the head maybe.  Everything else is looking fine. The modern old English B is a nice touch.

I like everything you have minus the secondary B. It feels off.

I mainly want to say that I've seen some of work over here and your Clemson work. You do a fantastic job and Clemson is the perfect place to learn from. Their media team is fantastic and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

On 7/16/2018 at 1:42 PM, BlackBolt3 said:

Hey, so a lot has happened in my life since the last time I put a new concept up on the boards:

• Started my freshman year at Clemson
  • After less than a week on campus, was presented an opportunity to work with the athletic department's communications department to do graphics for social media
  • Actually got the job in October

Dude! Congrats! That is an amazing opportunity!

fiowXOD.png

The 'B' is nice, but overall it all feels generic to me. As someone else mentioned, the bird logo has too much empty space, and I'm not a fan of it being purple since one of the most defining characteristics of ravens is that they're black. I think you should think in terms of totally blowing up the current branding, instead of making tweaks.

My two cents are:

• Add a second color to the B, otherwise it's too bland.
  • Add a bit more black to the Raven head and define the beak more.
  • It's difficult to trademark the shield logo as you've done, maybe add the Blackletter B and R back using your design?
  • The wordmark is great, but something doesn't quite scream Ravens. Maybe a sharper font?

Still, congrats on the job and even if I have quibbles with what you put out, the quality of the presentation is top.

Your watermarks look like textures on the bird-head logo, which actually makes it look more interesting and appealing than the logo you actually intended.

rATMcmK.png

I agree with @Zeus89725 and the others who recommend extending the beak farther back.

I also think the raven should have a pupil.

I like your blockletter B, but the rest of the wordmark seems to have lost the gothic feeling of the old version. Still an improvement, though.

I really like the Maryland flag alternate logo. If you could add "Ravens" or "Baltimore" in a purple banner above (like the original shield), that might help complete it.

Really good work!

Thanks for the input y’all, although any changes is gonna have to be put on the backburner because we’ve started to create the content for this upcoming football season (which is going to be VERY good btw). I also appreciate the well wishes for my time at Clemson, it all started breaking the board age rules (sorry mods) and putting my stuff on here, even though I didn’t even know the ins and outs of graphic design. Cutting my teeth on these forums got me to where I am today, and I’m thankful for all y’all.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived