2018 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, infrared41 said:

And McCarthy should be fired anyway. 

Last night was like watching someone playing Madden with the "Madden calls the plays" thing, then getting shut out, and saying no, I'm gonna do this myself. It's like when Aaron came back, he looked at him and said no way, I'm calling the plays now. McCarthy only has his job because of Brett and Aaron, and no not Hundley lol. I love the win and all, but good God is that coaching staff still inept at just putting a solid game plan in place. After all the changes, I thought things were going to be different, but it looked like same old same old. 

packchampionslfroh.png

3 hours ago, lilben777 said:

My point 100% BBTV, could not say it better. Yet every year the media and us get teased with these flashes from Rodgers, I’ve just gotten to the point to know when to bail out on him....

1.  That's generally the case.

2.  Keep my name out 'chya mouf.  I ain't dissin' Rodgers.  Sayin' he ain't in Brady's class is like sayin' that a Mercedes S-class ain't in a Maybach's class, or that Emily Ratajkowski ain't in Nana Im Jin – Ah's class.  Tell you what - I ain't kickin' neither of them out of bed... or off the kitchen table - but given the choice, I'm paddlin' down the yellow river 8 days a week.  

In conclusion, Tom Brady is the hottest asian woman on the planet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Brady is largely a result of Belichick's brilliance while Aaron Rodgers has had to carry an inept coach in McCarthy and an organization that hasn't put a great team around him.  Ultimately these conversations always come down to rings, but Brady had elite defenses to ride to Super Bowls in the early years of his career.  The Packers have been a hot mess when Aaron Rodgers has missed time while the Patriots are something like 13-6 without Brady.

Aaron Rodgers would be in this conversation on any of the other 31 teams, I don't think you can reasonably say the same about Tom Brady.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 minute ago, See Red said:

I think Brady is largely a result of Belichick's brilliance while Aaron Rodgers has had to carry an inept coach in McCarthy and an organization that hasn't put a great team around him.  Ultimately these conversations always come down to rings, but Brady had elite defenses to ride to Super Bowls in the early years of his career.

Aaron Rodgers would be in this conversation on any of the other 31 teams, I don't think you can reasonably say the same about Tom Brady.

Is this really true?  Really?  While I recall a few names from those defenses, we're not talking about the early '00s Bucs or Ravens, the early '90s Eagles, or the '85 Bears.  They aren't winning with Trent Dilfer.   Belichick isn't calling the plays, and nobody's been able to reproduce that system anywhere else - even the OCs that ran it.  That leaves one person responsible - Tom motherfraking Brady.  He won early on in his career, and he won later in his career, with totally different teams.  He never had Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings.  He had Chris Hogan, a couple other white guys, Randy Moss for a year (and they went 18-1!), and Deion Branch.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is this really true?  Really?  While I recall a few names from those defenses, we're not talking about the early '00s Bucs or Ravens, the early '90s Eagles, or the '85 Bears.  They aren't winning with Trent Dilfer.   Belichick isn't calling the plays, and nobody's been able to reproduce that system anywhere else - even the OCs that ran it.  That leaves one person responsible - Tom motherfraking Brady.  

The first Super Bowl, for instance... he had < 3000 yards, 18 TDs, and 12 INTs in 15 games that season.  In the playoff game against Pittsburgh, he threw for 115 yards with no TDs or INTs before getting injured right before the half, at that point the only scoring was a Troy Brown punt return td.  In the actual Super Bowl, he threw for 145 yards and a TD.  Did he win them that Super Bowl?  No.  He led the final drive, sure but they needed a dominant defensive performance to just overcome his performance in the first 50-some minutes of the game and be in position for that drive.

He never had Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings.  He had Chris Hogan, a couple other white guys, Randy Moss for a year (and they went 18-1!), and Deion Branch.  

You conveniently leave out the best weapon of them all, Gronkowski.  And Wes Welker.  And the consistent run game Aaron Rodgers has never had to run play action off of.  I don't think the Patriots scheme is reliant on having incredibly talented WRs as much as having versatile players; it's based on creating mismatches (like coming out with heavy personnel and then lining up with the RBs out wide) and attacking the opponents weakness, which Belichick teams do better than anybody else's.  It's catered to Tom Brady's strength, which is the short to intermediate passing game since he's not particularly great throwing deep downfield or to the sidelines.

One other thing, Jordy Nelson might well be a product of Aaron Rodgers because his numbers with anybody else throwing to him aren't particularly impressive.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, hbgoo1975 said:

I'm getting the feeling the Rams might get shutout by the Raiders like they did two years ago against the Niners. Even though I picked Oakland.

Man, the Raiders are getting their tails whipped by the Rams! So the student (McVay) passes the teacher (Gruden)!

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's a little much.  He's had much better receivers around him than Brady has had, yet Brady has accomplished far more.  I have nothing against Rodgers, and admittedly I haven't seen nearly as much of him as I have Brady, but Brady is the closest thing to Lebron that the NFL has in the way he almost single-handedly wins championships.  Rodgers might be great, but he's not great enough to have the Packers consistently in the Super Bowl discussion as legit favorites.  Put Brady on any team and they're right there.

And the Michigan man had Randy Moss for a little while, and benefits from never needing to drag a garbage defense anywhere...or his team ever employing Dom Capers.

Single-handed my ass.  The Pats hum along just fine whenever they're w/o that guy.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

10 hours ago, monkeypower said:

vgRwq7k.gif

Sam-chise!!!!*  Fit him for his gold jacket now!!!!!!!!!!111111  ???

?

* -- I hereby assert common law copyright and/or trademark rights to this term, pending formal filing with the USPTO and US Copyright Office.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

22 hours ago, See Red said:

The first Super Bowl, for instance... he had < 3000 yards, 18 TDs, and 12 INTs in 15 games that season.  In the playoff game against Pittsburgh, he threw for 115 yards with no TDs or INTs before getting injured right before the half, at that point the only scoring was a Troy Brown punt return td.  In the actual Super Bowl, he threw for 145 yards and a TD.  Did he win them that Super Bowl?  No.  He led the final drive, sure but they needed a dominant defensive performance to just overcome his performance in the first 50-some minutes of the game and be in position for that drive.

Sooooo I think most veterans of the board can vouch that I (and the majority of Boston fans here) have never really displayed the antics of your stereotypical Boston homer fan, so I am humbly asking for a free pass just this once. Usually, skipping over "Tom Brady isn't that good" comments are easy because reminding myself how blessed I am to be a fan of the Brady/Belichick "constantly in contention" mode here in New England is comforting enough. I understand that as a Patriots fan I have literally NOTHING to complain about until ~2050, but I will engage in See Red's flawed logic.

Maybe we shouldn't bother with the Super Bowl game this past season where Brady threw for 505 yards, set 9 records in the game, and if it wasn't for his defense, would have celebrated his 6th championship. I forgot who the Patriots played in Super Bowl LII; maybe @BringBackTheVet can remind me. (Glad to see you're still enjoying the championship; enjoy away - hope you made it to the parade and got all your championship merch!)

Nor the Super Bowl game where he threw for 266 yards and if Asante Samuel knew how to catch an interception, Brady would have been instrumental in leading the team to a 19-0 record. (The NY Giants defensive line collectively got robbed as game MVP, by the way.)

Nor the Super Bowl game where Tom Brady threw for 328 yards and the only reason Malcolm Butler made a huge play was because Malcolm Butler's poor defense put the Patriots in that situation in the first place.

Nor the Super Bowl game where Tom Brady led an improbable comeback after being down 28-3 late in the third quarter, en route throwing for 466 yards and taking the game over after his defense forgot how to defense.

We should bother ourselves with that one game. Remember that time the Hartford Whalers defeated the Oilers 11-0 in 1984? Well, turns out Gretzky wasn't that good...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived