Soda/Pop/Branding Discussion & News Thread

Popmart

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aztex82 said:

It was just reported this week that Moxie will be acquired by Coca Cola. I wonder if they’ll tinker with the branding. Moxie is even older than Coke.

Coke adds Moxie to beverage lineup

I'd hope - and guess - that they won't change the branding much. They have to know that part of Moxie's niche appeal is its historic branding.

I can't believe the story got picked up by Reuters.  I only saw it on my local news facebook feed. 

I hope they don't change the branding.  After the 90s Swirl debacle they seem to have found their branding niche with the Moxie Guy.

Hopefully Coke won't mess with it too much.  If anything they may finally put it in other supermarkets and not just the 2-3 I frequent.

Also makes me wonder if Coke and Pepsi will start going after other "regional" sodas to get an additional foothold in the markets. 

12 hours ago, poser said:

If they take it national, hopefully they do it better than Dr. Pepper did with SunDrop 

Remember stores still have to purchase the product (this case soda) from the distributor. Back in 2010-11, DPSG was still building out its own bottler/distributor system and not overly relying on old contracts with the local Coke or Pepsi or even a beer distributor.  In 2010, 71% of  Dr Pepper volumes were  distributed  through Coca-Cola-  and PepsiCo-affiliated bottlers.

They had to buy additional shelf space for SunDrop and SunDrop wasn't worth buying space for in most new markets.

13 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

I can't believe the story got picked up by Reuters.  I only saw it on my local news facebook feed. 

I hope they don't change the branding.  After the 90s Swirl debacle they seem to have found their branding niche with the Moxie Guy.

Hopefully Coke won't mess with it too much.  If anything they may finally put it in other supermarkets and not just the 2-3 I frequent.

Also makes me wonder if Coke and Pepsi will start going after other "regional" sodas to get an additional foothold in the markets. 

There's no money in sugary drinks. They've seen a now 13 year decline in soda sales (revenue is up due to smaller packaging and higher prices). Plus, Coca-Cola makes about 25% of its sales in the USA. Before the merger this year, DPSG was over 89% US sales and 80% of that was carbonated beverages and why they bought Bai drinks and should've been a bigger player for BodyArmour before Coca-Cola snapped them up this month.

Regional drinks are likely to sell out to avoid future bankruptcy, but they ain't really expandable.

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Remember stores still have to purchase the product (this case soda) from the distributor. Back in 2010-11, DPSG was still building out its own bottler/distributor system and not overly relying on old contracts with the local Coke or Pepsi or even a beer distributor.  In 2010, 71% of  Dr Pepper volumes were  distributed  through Coca-Cola-  and PepsiCo-affiliated bottlers.

They had to buy additional shelf space for SunDrop and SunDrop wasn't worth buying space for in most new markets.

The Dr. Pepper thing annoys me.. Its distributed by Pepsi here and Coke where my wife is from.  How does a man deal with two different bottle styles in his life. 

• 1 month later...

Found in Tbilisi Georgia (the country)

vmub79.jpg

Caucasians don’t really love soda, but coffee flavored - whether Coke or other- seems to sell OK.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, Pharos04 said:

Another odd local soda that I've tried once and just didn't like it was Big Red, which is apparently HUGE in the South

12247830_10153236678791344_74714942761493258_o.jpg

San Antonio has a barbacoa and Big Red festival. I never go there because the two shouldn't exist in the same world. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2018 at 10:54 AM, Zeus89725 said:

Coke’s purchase of Moxie pisses me off. Totally monopolizing the industry, as is Pepsi. 

If you only knew.  I worked for Coke for a year.

Part of the entanglement is distributor rights.  For example, in many markets, the Coke bottler also distributes Dr. Pepper.  In my market, the Pepsi bottler distributes Dr. Pepper.  And in other markets, Dr. Pepper is bottled and distributed independently.  

Same goes for energy drinks.  Coke owns the NOS and Full Throttle brands outright, and they distribute Monster in most markets.  But there are a few where NOS/FT compete against Monster, because someone else has the rights. 

It's a mess.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I"ve been reading some fascinating articles of how soda bottling / distribution works, specifically relating to Dr. Pepper / 7up.  

So since Dr. Pepper originally split themselves between Coke and Pepsi bottlers in different markets, they effectively blocked any national competition, which was pretty damn smart.   Coke makes Mr. Pibb, which they bottle and distribute in the markets where Pepsi bottlers distribute Dr. Pepper.  Now that more Coke bottlers make Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pibb is basically only in a few regional markets.

What I don't get is why Pepsi hasn't come out with their own competitor to sell in markets where Coke makes Dr. Pepper.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In Canada, Dr. Pepper is at the restaurants and fast food places that serve Pepsi products. So I've been surprised to see Dr. Pepper at American McDonald's because McDonald's is Coke, but that's not the case in all American McDonald's apparently.

---

In a thread related note, Moxie is probably the single worst thing I have ever tasted. I worked at a summer camp in New Hampshire last summer and the age group I was a counselor in went to Maine for three days to whitewater raft and I bought Moxie at the convenience store that was part of the whitewater rafting company we were at. It is absolutely horrible and I can't believe people here are even discussing this horrific drink.

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

In Canada, Dr. Pepper is at the restaurants and fast food places that serve Pepsi products. So I've been surprised to see Dr. Pepper at American McDonald's because McDonald's is Coke, but that's not the case in all American McDonald's apparently.

In America Dr. Pepper bounces between the two by region. I can remember buying it in bottles from the Pepsi company in some places, bottles from Coke in others, and bottles from the Dr. Pepper/7up company in others. Many Pepsi fountains use Pibb Xtra in my area instead of Dr. Pepper.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

In a thread related note, Moxie is probably the single worst thing I have ever tasted. I worked at a summer camp in New Hampshire last summer and the age group I was a counselor in went to Maine for three days to whitewater raft and I bought Moxie at the convenience store that was part of the whitewater rafting company we were at. It is absolutely horrible and I can't believe people here are even discussing this horrific drink.

Not going to like, Moxie is very hit-or-miss for people.  you either like it, or are absolutely disgusted by it.  "Acquired taste" is an understatement.  When I was in the Air Force and stationed all around the US I had family ship me bottles and I would share with everyone to see how they reacted.  Some enjoyed it and wanted more, some were repulsed by it. 

Personally I've been around it all my life and grew up with it, so I love it.  especially good in the summer with some French Vanilla ice cream to make a Moxie float.  I've been tempted to go to Lisbon, ME at some point and join in the Moxie Festival where they have a Moxie chugging contest.  I think one of the more recent winners drank it warm. 

Archived