aztex82

Soda/Pop/Branding Discussion & News Thread

On 7/22/2018 at 8:50 AM, kroywen said:

My favorite soda banding - though I've only had it once over 15 years ago - has to be Moxie:

moxie3-jpg.2508981

It was just reported this week that Moxie will be acquired by Coca Cola. I wonder if they’ll tinker with the branding. Moxie is even older than Coke.

Coke adds Moxie to beverage lineup

2 hours ago, aztex82 said:

It was just reported this week that Moxie will be acquired by Coca Cola. I wonder if they’ll tinker with the branding. Moxie is even older than Coke.

Coke adds Moxie to beverage lineup

I'd hope - and guess - that they won't change the branding much. They have to know that part of Moxie's niche appeal is its historic branding.

I can't believe the story got picked up by Reuters.  I only saw it on my local news facebook feed. 

I hope they don't change the branding.  After the 90s Swirl debacle they seem to have found their branding niche with the Moxie Guy.

Hopefully Coke won't mess with it too much.  If anything they may finally put it in other supermarkets and not just the 2-3 I frequent.

Also makes me wonder if Coke and Pepsi will start going after other "regional" sodas to get an additional foothold in the markets. 

If they take it national, hopefully they do it better than Dr. Pepper did with SunDrop 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, poser said:

If they take it national, hopefully they do it better than Dr. Pepper did with SunDrop 

Remember stores still have to purchase the product (this case soda) from the distributor. Back in 2010-11, DPSG was still building out its own bottler/distributor system and not overly relying on old contracts with the local Coke or Pepsi or even a beer distributor.  In 2010, 71% of  Dr Pepper volumes were  distributed  through Coca-Cola-  and PepsiCo-affiliated bottlers.

They had to buy additional shelf space for SunDrop and SunDrop wasn't worth buying space for in most new markets.

Edited by dfwabel
grammar and bolded point

13 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

I can't believe the story got picked up by Reuters.  I only saw it on my local news facebook feed. 

I hope they don't change the branding.  After the 90s Swirl debacle they seem to have found their branding niche with the Moxie Guy.

Hopefully Coke won't mess with it too much.  If anything they may finally put it in other supermarkets and not just the 2-3 I frequent.

Also makes me wonder if Coke and Pepsi will start going after other "regional" sodas to get an additional foothold in the markets. 

There's no money in sugary drinks. They've seen a now 13 year decline in soda sales (revenue is up due to smaller packaging and higher prices). Plus, Coca-Cola makes about 25% of its sales in the USA. Before the merger this year, DPSG was over 89% US sales and 80% of that was carbonated beverages and why they bought Bai drinks and should've been a bigger player for BodyArmour before Coca-Cola snapped them up this month.

Regional drinks are likely to sell out to avoid future bankruptcy, but they ain't really expandable.

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Remember stores still have to purchase the product (this case soda) from the distributor. Back in 2010-11, DPSG was still building out its own bottler/distributor system and not overly relying on old contracts with the local Coke or Pepsi or even a beer distributor.  In 2010, 71% of  Dr Pepper volumes were  distributed  through Coca-Cola-  and PepsiCo-affiliated bottlers.

They had to buy additional shelf space for SunDrop and SunDrop wasn't worth buying space for in most new markets.

The Dr. Pepper thing annoys me.. Its distributed by Pepsi here and Coke where my wife is from.  How does a man deal with two different bottle styles in his life. 

Found in Tbilisi Georgia (the country)

vmub79.jpg

Caucasians don’t really love soda, but coffee flavored - whether Coke or other- seems to sell OK.  

I had a coffee flavored cola in Singapore.  It was pretty awful even though I love coke and coffee.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Kaz said:

I had a coffee flavored cola in Singapore.  It was pretty awful even though I love coke and coffee.

was it this?

Related image

2 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

was it this?

Related image

No, it was some random brand with a red label.

A brand that I personally always felt looked good and had decent soda whenever I could find it:

Cott_Cans.jpg

On 7/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, Pharos04 said:

Another odd local soda that I've tried once and just didn't like it was Big Red, which is apparently HUGE in the South

12247830_10153236678791344_74714942761493258_o.jpg

San Antonio has a barbacoa and Big Red festival. I never go there because the two shouldn't exist in the same world. 

Coke’s purchase of Moxie pisses me off. Totally monopolizing the industry, as is Pepsi.