SplashBoogie

It's soon to be a new day and age here in Dallas. We are rapidly approaching the end of the Dirk era and last season was the worst season for the Mavericks in 20 years. After a period that included 12 straight playoff appearances, 2 Southwest Titles, 2 Conference Championships and finally hoisting the Larry O' Brien with some revenge over the Miami Heat, it's time for the rebuild (whether Mark Cuban is willing to be fined to be so upfront about admitting it or not)

With a new core of Dennis Smith, Jr , Harrison Barnes and Luka Dončić setting up the future for the Mavericks, now is a perfect time for the Dallas Mavericks to rebrand for the next chapter in our franchise's history

tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo7_1280.png
tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo3_1280.png
tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo8_1280.png
tumblr_pcaj8tIpZi1ufhi8uo1_1280.png

The primary logo keeps the horse iconography but the horse is now holding his head high. This fixes the issue of the "emo horse" look for the current primary and distinguishes the team from other horse logos that are either charging forward (Denver Broncos) or have their head down midbuck (Boise State / 90s Detroit Pistons) The off center roundel wordmarking for the primary was inspired by the Boston Celtics and was done to give the primary logo a feeling of motion.  Green returns as the primary color for the team at a slightly brighter green than from their inaugural season. The Navy used is the same shade as the current. The font, Melma Black, was chosen for its balance between solid shapes and slight western feeling.

While I was tempted to modify the old M-hat logo, I wanted the secondary to use a capital D. The logo is inspired by 47Brand's hat which is too strong of a look to be left as an unofficial logo any longer.

tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo2_1280.png
tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo1_1280.png

tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo4_1280.png
tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo6_1280.png
tumblr_pcahfvo6ot1ufhi8uo5_1280.png

The new Association uniform brings the wordmark bold and out front. The Icon Uniform returns the Mavericks to a Green base team to unify them with their co-tenants at the AAC. Additionally using green as their primary dark uniform helps distinguish them from the Minnesota Timberwolves. The side striping takes inspiration from the logo of the jersey sponsor, American Airlines.

Our current city uniform has "DAL" out front which is a name we never refer to ourselves by unless you're talking about Love Field. Of course, for obvious reasons, you can't put "Big D" in front of a NBA uniform. To compromise you have a modified version of the secondary logo alluding to this nickname. The striping for the logo and numbers take inspiration from the green neon lights in Downtown Dallas against the night sky.

CC welcome

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

The colors and the uniforms are great. Anything primarily green gets my vote. The logo needs some work. It looks like a horse wearing a suit and tie on his way to the office. I think you need less neck and more head. Also, I’m not digging the wordmark. I don’t like the way those little western flairs curl.  I feel like they should be straight, like the points on a star. But overall I think it’s a good start.

This is looking really good. I would, however, work on the outlines for the entire set. A lot are curved which gives off a weak, soft feel, not a tough, strong feel (on most letters, the corners are rounded off, which is what paint.net does for some reason (which is what I assume your using), the outlines of the letters on the secondary as well).

IMHO, the horse looks a little too "My Little Pony" and it reminds me of Boise State.  I'm on the side of not being a fan of re-incorporating green into the Mavericks' color scheme.  I'm a fan of the light blue on dark blue they currently have.  I like the font but I think the flares should only be either on the letter "D" or letter "A".  Other than that, great job!

Thanks for the feedback! First round of revisions coming up:

On 7/22/2018 at 10:40 PM, appleclock said:

The colors and the uniforms are great. Anything primarily green gets my vote. The logo needs some work. It looks like a horse wearing a suit and tie on his way to the office. I think you need less neck and more head. Also, I’m not digging the wordmark. I don’t like the way those little western flairs curl.  I feel like they should be straight, like the points on a star. But overall I think it’s a good start.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:53 PM, DoctaC said:

This is looking really good. I would, however, work on the outlines for the entire set. A lot are curved which gives off a weak, soft feel, not a tough, strong feel (on most letters, the corners are rounded off, which is what paint.net does for some reason (which is what I assume your using), the outlines of the letters on the secondary as well).

tumblr_pcedlbz40r1ufhi8uo5_1280.png
tumblr_pcedlbz40r1ufhi8uo1_1280.png

tumblr_pcedlbz40r1ufhi8uo3_1280.png
tumblr_pcedlbz40r1ufhi8uo6_r1_1280.png

Updated the primary logo to shrink the neck a bit and angle it in some. I didn't see necktie for the shadowing and then I couldn't unsee it so that got updated too. Other minor tweaks to the shadows were made as well.

The wordmark was also updated to straighten out the points. To answer @DoctaC, I use a combination of Macromedia Fireworks 8 and Clip Paint Studio for the designs. Fireworks does on occasion round the outlines. I went in an just converted the text to vectors and adjusted them manually.

On 7/23/2018 at 4:35 PM, pHiL Kizer said:

IMHO, the horse looks a little too "My Little Pony" and it reminds me of Boise State.  I'm on the side of not being a fan of re-incorporating green into the Mavericks' color scheme.  I'm a fan of the light blue on dark blue they currently have.  I like the font but I think the flares should only be either on the letter "D" or letter "A".  Other than that, great job!

Believe me it doesn't take a hard search on here to find me being pretty adamant against the Mavericks going back to a green scheme and for a good period of time in the building of this concept I had them stay as a double blue team but I like the pairing of the navy and green too much not to go forward with a throwback to the old scheme. I will say that the earlier drafts when I had it in royal and green did nearly make me stick with their current color scheme.

tumblr_pcedlbz40r1ufhi8uo2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_pcedlbz40r1ufhi8uo4_r1_1280.png

Extra Update: I don't know why it didn't occur to me to use a green star on the City Uniform to help it pop more so I fixed that too during the revisions

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

13 hours ago, DoctaC said:

The Big D secondary logo's outline is still curved. This is what I'm talking about:

n7ZUB78.png

I think they would look much better if they were right angles.

The insides of the D's and A's, as well as the L and S in the wordmarks are also still curved.

I personally disagree, the curved look makes it more professional and easy on the eyes. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 9 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 8:55 PM, DoctaC said:

n7ZUB78.png

Love bringing back green. Is it the same shade as the Stars? (I'd support that). One thing I'd change is the angles of the star points. I'd flatten them out so that in the above image, the straight flare on the D is parallel with the line. Currently it makes the star look puffy in my opinion.

Archived