Blue Jackets Bringing Back The Cannons In 2019

39 minutes ago, Bayne said:

What red?

The Blue Jackets have a logo nearly identical to the double blue alt logo with the cannon, but instead of the double blue its in the current navy, red and silver scheme. The Jackets use it on the shoulder of their primary uniforms.

45 minutes ago, Bayne said:

*removed team logos graphic*

So out of place.

I'm sure it's not your picture but what kind of :censored:ed up order is that for the teams?

"What is this, chronological?

"No."

"Not alphabetical."

"Nope."

"What?"

"Autobiographical."

The cannon logo in red, white, and blue is the best logo the Blue Jackets have ever had. 

The Civil War cap is the second best. 

Fite me

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

What red?

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/957132016/Columbus_Blue_Jackets/2016/Alternate_Logo

Looks good to me...

rMFfGFA.png

I don't think it looks out of place. If anything doesn't belong in that composite, it's Washington: the ratio is all funky compared to everyone else being more or less 1:1, and there's a whole ton of empty space.

It's no masterpiece, but I could buy it as a primary. I prefer the Ohio flag; being in the state capital and not having Cleveland or Cincinnati in the league makes it a good idea. You can market them as Ohio's Team in a way you can't with Ohio's other teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/27/2018 at 10:03 AM, Ice_Cap said:

The cannon logo in red, white, and blue is the best logo the Blue Jackets have ever had. 

The Civil War cap is the second best. 

Fite me

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/957132016/Columbus_Blue_Jackets/2016/Alternate_Logo

Looks good to me...

rMFfGFA.png

It's a patch. You put those on your shoulders or on the right chest to commemorate something. It's not a bad design - I never said it was - but it's not a good NHL primary logo. For it to be a logo that looks like it belongs in the league it would need to be executed differently. Which is possible using a cannon as their motif. Just not in a roundel with a poorly coloured ribbon and an obligatory star. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I think it looks out of place, though the version with the red is much better.

THe fact that there's other "out of place" logos doesn't redeem this one.  

1 the text is too small to be read at small sizes.  It's fine when blown up to the size that's posted on message boards, but it's generally too small.

2. the cannon is overly detailed for a primary logo.  Doesn't pass my "book cover" test (albeit only barely.)  Fewer spokes, less shading, and less size restriction (imposed by the roundel) would help.

3. Maybe if they could lose the roundel, lose the text, but work a "c" into the wheels (or some other way of using just the cannon to represent the team... but I can't think of many) it would work better, but for now, I gotta say it's not strong enough to be a primary logo.

4. Their actual primary is pretty strong, and IMO is some unnecessary beveling away from being one of the top logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

It's a patch.

Your reasoning for what separates a patch from a “logo” seems very arbitrary. 

The cannon logo looks no worse than any other roundel mark that’s been worn on the front of sweaters throughout the NHL’s history. 

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

the cannon is overly detailed for a primary logo.  Doesn't pass my "book cover" test (albeit only barely.)  Fewer spokes, less shading, and less size restriction (imposed by the roundel) would help.

The Chicago Blackhawks’ logo is often touted as the best, or one of the best, in the NHL. And it utterly fails the “book cover test.”

35 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Chicago Blackhawks’ logo is often touted as the best, or one of the best, in the NHL. And it utterly fails the “book cover test.”

Fair counter, but imo a lot of that has to do with its age and history, rather than its design merits. If it was designed today it would be panned. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Your reasoning for what separates a patch from a “logo” seems very arbitrary. 

The cannon logo looks no worse than any other roundel mark that’s been worn on the front of sweaters throughout the NHL’s history. 

It's not arbitrary. It's simply the fact that it's designed in a way that converges with the the style often seen in commemorative patches. It's also quite detailed and uses small text. Buffalo, Edmonton, Boston, Winnipeg, you name the rest...all have logos that are much more simplified and stronger from a distance.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

This is still the best logo in the team's (relatively) short history.

zcvu58bag02ulpy46dixvag56.png

It combines the team name (uniforms of Civil War-era Union soldiers) with the history of good hockey in Ohio (Cincinnati Stingers), while also providing a twist on the navy/red color scheme (adding light blue and neon yellow/green). Sure, it's goofy as all heck, but it's got charm to it and is less messy than "the CJB" and that roundel (at a distance). I still like the Ohio flag-star crest, but Stinger appeals to me in a different way than the current primary.

The cannon has primary potential, provided it was sized up and maybe protruded the roundel. That'd add a bit of perspective and make it less dull than the shoulder patch option.

Archived