West

Phoenix Scorpiens 

San Antonio Desperados

San Diego Admirals

Salt Lake City Scouts

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Orlando Owls:  Name inspired from the HP series and attraction at Universal, colors are reminiscent of the franchise, and mesh well with a more festive, spooky-ish aesthetic.

pMmV5x1.png

• Atlanta Fortunes:  A play on words, Fortunes denotes imagery of fortune telling, a nod to the mystic, fun festival atmosphere of the Little Five Points district, but is also a nod to Atlanta's bustling economy over the years, where many fortune 500 companies began or now reside.

NjxDyiN.png

• Birmingham Bears:  Inspired by the state mammal (black bear) and "Bear" Bryant.  Team should utilize red and white, and likely houndstooth in their design.

IbVf9PV.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

• Orlando Owls:  Name inspired from the HP series and attraction at Universal, colors are reminiscent of the franchise, and mesh well with a more festive, spooky-ish aesthetic.

pMmV5x1.png

Something along the lines of the colors used with the Haubted Mansion attraction could work as well. 

Product Image of The Haunted Mansion Playing Card Set # 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Atlanta Rising

Birmingham Iron

Memphis Sphinx

Orlando Fusion

Phoenix Fuego

Salt Lake Pizazz

San Antonio Justice

San Diego Wave

All logos NOT to be done by Brandlose.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, CS85 said:

Orlando is the theme park capital of the world.  That has to be utilized somehow into the branding.

I might go with Tourists, though that might be stepping on the toes of the Minor League Asheville Tourists. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to go with something loosely based on the theme parks, along the lines of Magic or something midieval. The only thing relating to magic coming to my mind is Wizards, but I'd want to generally avoid a name not being used by a rival NBA team (though Rockets does have a lot of potential for a football team). Merlins, maybe? Monarchs, perhaps? Dragons? We could use another mythical creature or two in pro sports IMO.

Aside from anything park-related, I do like resurrecting the Thunder name (and uniforms) or something like Lightning, or even use the now-defunct (I believe) Storm moniker (albeit in Tampa Bay) of the Arena Football League.

But I'll toss my hat in the ring with the other 7 cities. There is some overlap in suggestions for names between cities, as well as bringing back defunct names that have generally been used in a given city. Also, cities where the state name can be used as the team's locale are in parentheses.

Atlanta: Fire, Thrashers, Copperheads, Flames, Blaze

Memphis: Pharaohs, Hounds, Showboats

Phoenix (Arizona): Firebirds, Owls, Roadrunners, Chupacabras

San Diego: Destroyers, Conquistadors, Mauraders, Admirals, Rockets, Breakers

Birmingham (Alabama): Vulcans, Iron, Stars

San Antonio: Renegades, Javalinas, Hogs, Armadillos, Chupacabras, Scorpions

Salt Lake City (Utah): Stingers, Stags, Stars, Blaze, 47s, Pioneers, Yeti(s), Yellowjackets, Raptors

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Orlando Thunder 

Use old WLAF theme

Atlanta Blazers

Reference to Civil War

Birmingham Mustangs Reference to Tuskegee Airmen, P51 Mustang

Memphis Hounds

Elvis

San Antonio Riders

WLAF theme

Salt Lake Stingers

Phoenix Sundogs

San Diego Sharks

FWIW, Joe Bosack is currently working on team branding.

as a former Orlandonian, i would hate to see a team name that too strongly refefences the theme parks. i do like the Magic name, it hints at the most important park without hitting you in the face with “we’re the theme park city”. but theres much more to Orlando and central FL and if they are going to make fans out of the locals, they’ll need to think bigger.

i wouldn’t mind something that references oranges/groves or space travel. you can see rockets launch from Cape Canaveral from orlando, so close enough i say. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

8 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

No different than referring to a mascot as a Trojan, Spartan or Viking. They weren't very nice either.

It's the same thing as calling the Birmingham Bolts the Blast initially. Especially in a time where people are physically fighting over that history. Railroders would be a good name, based on the original name of Atlanta, Terminus.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

San Antonio Admirals (Tribute to David Robinson)

San Antonio Scorpions (Old NASL team...sounds badass)

San Antonio Riders

San Antonio Toros

San Antonio Defenders (Gotta love Baseketball)

San Antonio Amigos

San Antonio Gunslingers (Old USFL team)

San Antonio Frackers (Lots of oil drilling in South Texas)

San Antonio Rattlers

San Antonio Copperheads

San Antonio Six Shooters 

On 7/27/2018 at 8:42 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

FWIW, Joe Bosack is currently working on team branding.

Well, we know Joe does good work.  Hopefully he has enough input to talk them out of really bad naming ideas.

Unfortunately some suggestions present trademark conflicts of one type of another, which is why you're seeing more Brandiose-like "Jumbo Shrimp" type names in sports.  That hurdle overcome however, I'd go with names that open the door to mass appeal marketing opportunities...

Birmingham:  "Birmingham Blitz."  It has alliteration and sounds menacing.  Plus it has no local-specific meaning, so when you have to abandon the market and put the team somewhere else, you can save some money and take the brand to the new market if you want.  :D

Memphis:  "Memphis River Kings."  Once used by a minor league hockey team, this name could conjure up any number of different sets of iconography, because, "What is a River King?"  Is it a boat's skipper?  Is it a high stakes old timey gambler that reminds you of Brett Maverick?  Lots of ways you could go with it.

Orlando:  "Florida Flamingos."  It was very nearly used in 1991 instead of Florida Marlins.  The flamingo is an iconic image of the state even if it's not necessarily prevalent in Orlando, it has alliteration, and affords you a wild neon color palette to work from.

Phoenix:  "Arizona Sidewinders."  Another one that offers you two different sets of iconography.  Do you go with the actual snake, as did the Tucson Sidewinders minor league baseball team?  Or do you go with a Yosemite Sam like "two-timin', four-flushing sidewinder?"

San Antonio:  I'd use "Texas Oilers" until the NFL sued for alleged trademark infringement, then use "Texas Drillers" after generating the publicity from the suit, a la the Baltimore "CFL Colts."  Either way, I'd use the old Houston Oilers color scheme.

San Diego:  This one has the greatest potential for a number of reasons.  One could go with the obvious naval angle with "San Diego Destroyers" or "San Diego Submariners" or whatever, or one could poke the NFL a little and go with the "San Diego Lightning," "San Diego Flash," or something similar, using the Chargers color scheme.

Ironically, I'm not a fan of regional names.  In AAF's case however they're going to need to cast their net out as wide as they possibly can for fans, and in some cases use of a regional name makes for a better overall branding profile.  For Atlanta and Salt Lake City?  Honestly, I've got nothing.

nav-logo.png

Archived