the admiral

6 minutes ago, Kaz said:

So...is the whole "dupes are an unforgivable sin" thing done now, or is this just a special occasion?  I'm glad that admiral is back and all, but I'm really confused here

Just roll with it. We need a day like this around here every once in a while. Seems to always happen in July. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only hope that this bizarre series of events is past us.

Clearly the rules as written go way beyond any reasonable attempt at preventing duplicate accounts, so probably wise the revise the rules here. Not my call, but just a suggestion.

Just now, kroywen said:

I can only hope that this bizarre series of events is past us.

Clearly the rules as written go way beyond any reasonable attempt at preventing duplicate accounts, so probably wise the revise the rules here. Not my call, but just a suggestion.

We're working on just that.

VmWIn6B.png

6 minutes ago, Kaz said:

So...is the whole "dupes are an unforgivable sin" thing done now, or is this just a special occasion?  I'm glad that admiral is back and all, but I'm really confused here

*sigh*

This is messy. I won't deny that.

TCR was banned. Banned for poor reasons, in my opinion, but banned none the less. admiral's been a member for over a decade, and only recently did we even have direct, concrete evidence that he was one in the same as TCR. And yes, "everyone knew," but hearsay isn't really how we like to operate. Fact is that the "proof" that they were the same dude is pretty recent.

So that's got us in a pretty tight bind. On one hand, yes. It's a violation of a rule we're pretty strict about. On the other hand? He was the admiral here for what? Eleven years? Eleven years of mostly good behaviour and good standing?

And so a decision was made. The decision was made in an attempt to be impartial and fair. And it was made clear soon after we made that decision that it was the wrong one.

It was wrong for one very simple reason. In my time as a mod? admiral has never once come up for a disciplinary vote. Meaning he was never considered for a suspension, much less a banning. And all of us have access to the mod archives prior to us becoming mods. Not once has admiral been brought up for a disciplinary vote.

So upon reflection? It was clear that in our haste to apply the rules objectively we had banned a member who, for over a decade, never once did anything warranting any serious disciplinary behaviour. We decided this was a mistake and we acted to fix it.

We're not perfect. We're not even paid for this stuff! We made a call, realized it was bad, and corrected it. It happens.

What does this mean for the "dupe accounts are an unforgivable sin"? Well it's something we'll have to look into, but by and large? They're still going to be frowned upon. If anything? Take this as a lesson. Nothing in life, not even a rule, is meant to be applied 100% of the time. Sometimes exceptions exist. We're doing our best to figure that out on our end.

So, coming in with a few thoughts from a different moderator:

I personally agree with many posters in this thread that the moderating team should primarily act in the best interests of the forum. Personally, I don't think banning @the admiral or @CRichardson was in the best interests of this forum -- both have been members in good standing since they (re-)joined the forum, and IMO, the CCSLC isn't better off with moderators digging through years of prior history to find IP matches for members who haven't put a foot wrong. I've directly alluded to this before -- lay low, don't draw attention to yourself, don't break the rules, and we generally don't have a reason to go after you.

That said, the forum rules dictated that we ban both members. However, in the same way that enforcing that forum policy has triggered discussion here, it's also triggered a discussion through the moderating team (as well as with Chris) as to what the appropriate protocol should be in this situation and what action would best serve the forum. This discussion has led to the reinstatement of the aforementioned members, and we're in the process of revising our rules around these situations and hope to announce a new policy soon.

We want to strike a positive balance between rules that keep the CCSLC one of the most civil and intelligent message boards on the whole internet, while at the same time recognizing that it's an internet forum that shouldn't be taken so seriously.

6fQjS3M.png

3 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

IMO, the CCSLC isn't better off with moderators digging through years of prior history to find IP matches for members who haven't put a foot wrong.

It sounds like there was some serious detective work that went into this disaster. If I can ask, what got the whole thing started in the first place? 

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Woo-whee this thread is the dumbest roller coaster I've ever let myself get aboard.

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm a member of a Star Wars fan forum. I've been on dumber.

I'll see your Star Wars forum and raise you a Howard Stern forum. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Sorry, but for the most part, we've got a great little community here that's produced some fun fantasy sports, for the most part good conversation, some cool designers and even a podcast.

We have a podcast?

Also, darn. He was probably my favorite non-concept creation user on these boards. I hope he can get reinstated Never mind, yeet

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

*sigh*

This is messy. I won't deny that.

TCR was banned. Banned for poor reasons, in my opinion, but banned none the less. admiral's been a member for over a decade, and only recently did we even have direct, concrete evidence that he was one in the same as TCR. And yes, "everyone knew," but hearsay isn't really how we like to operate. Fact is that the "proof" that they were the same dude is pretty recent.

So that's got us in a pretty tight bind. On one hand, yes. It's a violation of a rule we're pretty strict about. On the other hand? He was the admiral here for what? Eleven years? Eleven years of mostly good behaviour and good standing?

And so a decision was made. The decision was made in an attempt to be impartial and fair. And it was made clear soon after we made that decision that it was the wrong one.

It was wrong for one very simple reason. In my time as a mod? admiral has never once come up for a disciplinary vote. Meaning he was never considered for a suspension, much less a banning. And all of us have access to the mod archives prior to us becoming mods. Not once has admiral been brought up for a disciplinary vote.

So upon reflection? It was clear that in our haste to apply the rules objectively we had banned a member who, for over a decade, never once did anything warranting any serious disciplinary behaviour. We decided this was a mistake and we acted to fix it.

We're not perfect. We're not even paid for this stuff! We made a call, realized it was bad, and corrected it. It happens.

What does this mean for the "dupe accounts are an unforgivable sin"? Well it's something we'll have to look into, but by and large? They're still going to be frowned upon. If anything? Take this as a lesson. Nothing in life, not even a rule, is meant to be applied 100% of the time. Sometimes exceptions exist. We're doing our best to figure that out on our end.

If only replay review in sports worked this well.  Bravo.

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Htown1141 said:

We have a podcast?

Also, darn. He was probably my favorite non-concept creation user on these boards. I hope he can get reinstated

Basically a Sports Show. Hosted by @infrared41, @Still MIGHTY, and myself. Sometimes guest staring @CS85.
There's a thread for it in The Lounge. Check it out!

3 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

We have a podcast?

Also, darn. He was probably my favorite non-concept creation user on these boards. I hope he can get reinstated

Well, actually, there have been a few.

@CS85 did an interview podcast of board members for a little while which I enjoyed.

There was the logocast and of course, BASS. (The 2 latter ones not always being board specific, but have been heavily tied to the boards and I believe both started via posts on the boards) 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

6 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Well, actually, there have been a few.

@CS85 did an interview podcast of board members for a little while which I enjoyed.

There was the logocast and of course, BASS. (The 2 latter ones not always being board specific, but have been heavily tied to the boards and I believe both started via posts on the boards) 

What ever happened to logocast?  I started listening to it regularly at work and suddenly it disappeared off the face of the earth with nothing about it that I could find at the time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

What ever happened to logocast?  I started listening to it regularly at work and suddenly it disappeared off the face of the earth with nothing about it that I could find at the time.

I don't recall anymore to be honest, I don't believe it was anything big or any drama, I think they just stopped doing it. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

It sounds like there was some serious detective work that went into this disaster. If I can ask, what got the whole thing started in the first place? 

ChrisCLEMENT has a history of fantasy transgressions.  The most recent was when he was removed as commissioner of the FCS college football league due to doctoring the league's rulebook without the approval of the league.

With that in mind I was checking the graveyard yesterday for threads to add to the long neglected Goldmine and with the fantasy commissioner ruling in mind I stumbled on threads by DomTheAthlete, long suspected to be ChrisCLEMENT's original account.  Checking the IPs confirmed my suspicion.

After bringing this up to the mod team a consensus (not unanimous) was formed that if we were to take action on ChrisCLEMENT that we also examine other known, but not proven, dupe accounts (CRichardson and the admiral) in order to not be picking and choosing which dupe accounts we targeted and which we ignored.  Quick IP searches for both members confirmed matches to their previous accounts (Kevin W. and TCR).

I have no idea why there wasn't an IP match discovered when the accounts first roused suspicion.  I don't know if the forum software wasn't able to perform IP searches, if there was a laissez faire attitude from the mod team at the time towards enforcing the dupe account rule, or if there was just a selective blind eye cast in these cases.

So, the mod team had further discussion with the concrete evidence in hand.  As @Ice_Cap pointed out we took action as that's what the forum policies dictate.  After further discussion, and with the input of Chris, we determined that the policy was incorrect to punish members who had been in good standing for years despite the automatic trigger being in place for accounts that circumvented a forum punishment.  As a result, we decided to reinstate the admiral and CRichardson due to their good standing whereas we decided to keep the ban on ChrisCLEMENT in place due to his history of fantasy sports transgressions and trolling.

Was this a complete clusterf***?  Yes.  Yes it was.  If there's a benefit it's that this lets us reevaluate the forum policies and change them to be more beneficial to the functioning of this community.  The dupe account rule, as the moderators discussed, appears to be an extension of the days when Nick 1733 would create multiple accounts to vote for himself in design contests and was extended to banned accounts.  This will let us reevaluate and adapt it to the way that the board functions today.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived