Grey Facemasks For Everyone*

IceCap

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your team does not have grey in their colour scheme, a grey facemask just looks ugly. For teams like New England or Seattle, while they don't have a grey facemask, it wouldn't look out of place since grey/silver are an integral part of their colours. Conversely, teams like San Francisco should have a facemask that matches the rest of their uniforms. Grey looks bush league.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

...Grey looks bush league.

I think that’s s stretch, considering it’s used most often by professional teams and high-level college teams whose brands fit the aesthetic.

Broken record, but again, all about the context. Works fine if you dress like the Giants; not so much if you dress like the Cardinals.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think that’s s stretch, considering it’s used most often by professional teams and high-level college teams whose brands fit the aesthetic.

Broken record, but again, all about the context. Works fine if you dress like the Giants; not so much if you dress like the Cardinals.

And the Giants have a significant amount of grey in their colour scheme. 'Context' was the entire point of my post. I don't care how long the 49ers or Cardinals have worn grey facemasks, it looks cheap and bad, like they couldn't get facemasks that match the rest of their uniforms.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:55 PM, Chromatic said:

If your team does not have grey in their colour scheme, a grey facemask just looks ugly.

QFT

——

• Buffalo: blue 
  • Miami: aqua 
  • New England: grey
  • NY Jets: green
  • Dallas: grey
  • NY Giants: grey
  • Philly: black or grey
  • Washington: gold 
  • Baltimore: black
  • Cincinnati: black
  • Cleveland: brown or white
  • Pittsburgh: black
  • Chicago: blue 
  • Detroit: grey
  • Green Bay: green 
  • Minnesota: purple
  • Houston: blue
  • Indy: blue
  • Jacksonville: black
  • Tennessee: blue
  • Atlanta: black 
  • Carolina: black 
  • New Orleans: black
  • Tampa Bay: black
  • Denver: blue
  • Kansas City: white
  • LA Chargers: yellow**
  • Oakland: grey or black
  • Arizona: white
  • LA Rams: blue 
  • San Francisco: red 
  • Seahawks: blue

** I am expecting this to be an unpopular opinion, but I thought their color rush helmet looked great and unique. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

By the way, speaking of endless debate...

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/gray-grey/

How Do You Spell the Color Gray?

As a noun, gray usually refers to the color. It can be used as an adjective when we want to say that the color of something is a shade of gray. It can also be used as a verb, for when something turns gray. But regardless of its use, you’ll sometimes find that gray is not spelled the way you think it should be. Or, you might be reading this and thinking “those people at Grammarly really don’t know their spelling—it’s grey.” So, what’s behind the grey/gray dilemma, and is there any difference between them, besides the obvious?

Grey and gray are two different spellings of the same word. Gray is more common in the U.S., while grey is more common in other English-speaking countries. In proper names—like Earl Grey tea and the unit Gray, among others—the spelling stays the same, and they need to be memorized.

11 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Grey looks bush league.

Grey looks old-timey.  The Niners, Colts, Giants, etc. are trying to capture a specific look.

nn3jw.jpgjohnny-unitas-19.jpg51rdIFjejCL._SL160_.jpg

When 1995 becomes "retro," the Colts can break these out:

237350_display_image.jpg?1292470652

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

And the Giants have a significant amount of grey in their colour scheme. 'Context' was the entire point of my post. I don't care how long the 49ers or Cardinals have worn grey facemasks, it looks cheap and bad, like they couldn't get facemasks that match the rest of their uniforms.

Since when does the facemask HAVE to match? What are we, a bunch of Tim Gunn's?

On 7/27/2018 at 1:16 PM, whitedawg22 said:

I agree that the helmet is more plain without the red mask, but that's a flaw in the helmet design, not a reason to keep the gaudy mask. Putting a red facemask on that is like putting chrome bumpers, spinners, and a spoiler on a gray Toyota Camry so that it doesn't look "plain."

That ruined my restoration plans for my 86 Camry...... But seriously folks, on two points, l'm digging the 49ers with the red facemask and Indy should go royal blue. And my Steelers, no gray/grey facemask, stay with black!

Teams that should wear grey masks:

Cowboys

Raiders

Giants

Teams that currently wear grey masks, and what they should switch to:

Colts - blue or white

Cardinals - white or black

49ers - red

Bills - blue

*Buccaneers - black

*Lions - grey is ok, or Honolulu blue

*Titans - grey is ok - still feeling this one out

* - denotes the use of non-standard grey masks

12 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Okay, let me rephrase:

Works fine if you dress like the 49ers; not so much if you dress like the Cardinals.

These two brands, from the style of their logos, to the types of design elements on their uniforms, to the vibes of their respective stadiums, to the way they’ve projected themselves vis a vis their places in football history, are on opposites sides of the traditional/progressive divide (not necessarily at extreme ends of that spectrum, but more like opposite sides of the central third of that spectrum).

The 49ers’ brand fits what a gray mask represents. The Cardinals,’ in its present form, doesn’t. Aesthetically, I think it’s reasonable to not prefer a gray mask for the 49ers, but you can’t deny that it fits what they stand for. I don’t think the Cardinals’ gray mask works aesthetically *or* symbolically. If they moved back into a more classically styled uniform, leveraged their status as the oldest team, tapped into their history for throwbacks or to honor their early players, then they’d be on the right track toward making it work.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

22 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Okay, let me rephrase:

Works fine if you dress like the 49ers; not so much if you dress like the Cardinals.

These two brands, from the style of their logos, to the types of design elements on their uniforms, to the vibes of their respective stadiums, to the way they’ve projected themselves vis a vis their places in football history, are on opposites sides of the traditional/progressive divide (not necessarily at extreme ends of that spectrum, but more like opposite sides of the central third of that spectrum).

The 49ers’ brand fits what a gray mask represents. The Cardinals,’ in its present form, doesn’t. Aesthetically, I think it’s reasonable to not prefer a gray mask for the 49ers, but you can’t deny that it fits what they stand for. I don’t think the Cardinals’ gray mask works aesthetically *or* symbolically. If they moved back into a more classically styled uniform, leveraged their status as the oldest team, tapped into their history for throwbacks or to honor their early players, then they’d be on the right track toward making it work.

Only point of contention: the 49ers current logo is very "modern" in its style.. From the drop shadows to the variable-width oval outlines, it fits in many of the same categories as the Cardinals, imo..

50 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Only point of contention: the 49ers current logo is very "modern" in its style.. From the drop shadows to the variable-width oval outlines, it fits in many of the same categories as the Cardinals, imo..

I was thinking more top-level characteristics, like “monogram in an arbitrary, symmetrical shape” versus “angry mascot with implied forward motion.” The more specific design characteristics you pointed out, as well as the soft foray into things like black alternate uniforms, are why I see the 49ers more in that semi/mostly traditional area, as opposed to the farthest end of the traditional spectrum.

I agree with the view that the extra touches on the 49ers logo are enough to take them out of the "gray is OK" club.  If they were using their '80s logo, then OK.

I don't love the gray facemask against the gold shell, but it's not the worst thing in the world.  For what I think they're trying to accomplish with their brand, I think they'd be better off with a different logo that wasn't just recycled from their previous (almost awesome) set.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I agree with the view that the extra touches on the 49ers logo are enough to take them out of the "gray is OK" club.  If they were using their '80s logo, then OK.

I don't love the gray facemask against the gold shell, but it's not the worst thing in the world.  For what I think they're trying to accomplish with their brand, I think they'd be better off with a different logo that wasn't just recycled from their previous (almost awesome) set.

Only semi related, but....

I tend to view metallic gold and silver (and I guess pewter) in the same sort of "neutral" category of white, black, and grey..

For this reason, I halfway interpret the 49ers as a red-only team, with only neutral colors to compliment the red.. For this reason, I actually liked the addition of black (and slightly darker red).. It helped round out the color scheme a bit.. 

I know that's kinda random and arbitrary, because for the Saints, I view the gold as an actual color (because it's kinda a half-color, with the rest bring'm being neutral colors)..

Idk, just my two cents - although it ain't worth a penny

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Okay, let me rephrase:

well said. i've always felt this topic made people debate 2 different points. communication vs aesthetics. the communication (what a gray mask represents) is undeniable and the argument that seems to follow against it is some people find ugly, which is valid, it's fine if you don't like the look of the masks, but you have to go with what compliments your design direction. you have to dig deeper than aesthetics and you certainly have to think beyond "what i like or dont like". otherwise, you might as well start throwing away colors and font styles too. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Imma come in from way out in left field and say that the Chiefs should adopt gray, despite it going against my usual beliefs. I just don’t like white facemasks, and they can pull off gray since their uniform is as trad as it gets. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Imma come in from way out in left field and say that the Chiefs should adopt gray, despite it going against my usual beliefs. I just don’t like white facemasks, and they can pull off gray since their uniform is as trad as it gets. 

As a general rule, I don't like white facemasks, either.  Off the top of my head, the only ones I think I'd keep are on Michigan State and Oklahoma.  (Although it's possible I'm just so used to seeing those two teams with white masks I just can't picture it any other way.)

Archived