College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

2 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

Hmm...interesting choice of names. An upgrade from the mouthful of a name that it had...but when I see "American Rivers" my first thought does not immediately go to "Iowa", y'know?

The conference now includes Nebraska Wesleyan. The shape of Iowa is defined by the Mississippi River to the east and the Missouri River to the west, and Nebraska Wesleyan is just across the Missouri River from Iowa, so the name makes sense.

• Like 2
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 minute ago, Waffles said:

This may or may not have implications for their branding, but Syracuse is expected to announce their next shoe/uniform/apparel deal this fall.

If it fixes those horrible numbers on the football jerseys I'm good with anyone other than Nike taking a shot. If they move to adidas they'll get the top end uniforms so they may actually improve. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The word "bold" scares me. I love the dolphin jumping through the JU. I hope they stick with something like that.

Btw, I noticed in that article that JU is a member of four conferences. How common is that?

It depends on what sports are involved. Ohio State is in three conferences due to women's hockey and men's volleyball not being Big Ten championship sports. Smaller schools (Div. II & III) are similar based on sports like swimming/diving, lacrosse and field hockey not necessarily being played at all the member institutions of the primary league. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It depends on what sports are involved. Ohio State is in three conferences due to women's hockey and men's volleyball not being Big Ten championship sports. Smaller schools (Div. II & III) are similar based on sports like swimming/diving, lacrosse and field hockey not necessarily being played at all the member institutions of the primary league. 

Jacksonville used to have some excellent basketball uniforms:

Artis_Gilmore_Jax-Block-Jacksonville-U-c

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

The word "bold" scares me. I love the dolphin jumping through the JU. I hope they stick with something like that.

The city of Jacksonville has referred to itself as "The Bold New City of the South" for decades. You see a Jaguars fan group called the Bold City Brigade. The Jumbo Shrimp actually sell (I think have worn) Bold City caps. I don't know how much "bold" refers to the new branding rather than the city itself.

• Like 1

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

On 8/16/2018 at 7:24 AM, agentrygraphics said:

Hmm...interesting choice of names. An upgrade from the mouthful of a name that it had...but when I see "American Rivers" my first thought does not immediately go to "Iowa", y'know?

Fun fact: Nebraska is one of the top 5 states for total river miles.  A lot of them are flat, shallow rivers, but the Platte River alone adds up to over 1,000 miles with all its tributaries.  That's about a third of the distance across the continental US.

Add in the fact that the Missouri and Mississippi are the two biggest and historically important rivers in the US (plus, they make up the NE/IA and IA/IL borders) and American Rivers is a decent enough name. 

• Like 1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 8/14/2018 at 6:56 PM, Earl said:

Northeastern University in Boston released new logos:  http://gonu.com/news/2018/8/13/northeastern-athletics-reenergizes-visual-identity-with-new-brand-and-logos.aspx

Old
6565_northeastern_huskies-primary-2007.p           8542_northeastern_huskies-alternate-2007           5516_northeastern_huskies-alternate-2007

NEW
HuskyHead_website59.jpg__StandingHusky_web82.jpg__Paw_web.jpg__Combo_web.jpg__Shield_web.jpg

The old Huskie dog logo was so bad that I can’t even believe it was being used in 2017.  Looks like a 7-year old won a contest to design the school logo and he drew in some red eyes to make it look like the devil’s pet.  The new Huskie head reminds me of the 1980’s Washington Huskie logo.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2018 at 8:42 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Image result for Alfred State Pioneers

New logo for Division III Alfred State, not to be confused with the cross-town Division III Alfred Saxons

I went to Alfred University, graduated in '07 and had no clue until just now what Alfred State's sports teams were named.

I wish the neck area was rendered differently but other than that this looks pretty good.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:42 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Image result for Alfred State Pioneers

New logo for Division III Alfred State, not to be confused with the cross-town Division III Alfred Saxons

I don't mind the design, but I think it would be better if some of the light blue and yellow highlights were switched. The yellow is easily the most striking part of the design, but it seems to highlight what should be the least important lines - the neck and the front of the thigh.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mafiaman said:

The old Huskie dog logo was so bad that I can’t even believe it was being used in 2017.  Looks like a 7-year old won a contest to design the school logo and he drew in some red eyes to make it look like the devil’s pet.  The new Huskie head reminds me of the 1980’s Washington Huskie logo.

According to the brand book, they're keeping the old husky logo has a retro logo so it's not gone for good.
On page 26 of Guide

• 2 weeks later...

Since this has died down a little, are you all okay if I bring up D2, D3, NAIA rebrands & new logos?  Seen a lot of them lately.  I know some already have been posted but myself I've kept it it to Division I since that's what's on the mothership and they're schools most people are familiar with.

Thank you.

Representing the Little East Conference of NCAA Division III, WestConn (Western Connecticut State) Colonials rebranded in July by dropping their mascot & now identify with just a W Shield.  Not exciting news but still a change nonetheless.  They play their first football game tomorrow so I'm sure yet if their helmet logo will change.  Source

OLD
a5daabee4597f5c7f1a6a53aa5d6f38c.jpg
NEW
primaryathletics-768x772.jpgcolonial.jpgShield-1535478197.jpg

1 hour ago, Earl said:

Thank you.

Representing the Little East Conference of NCAA Division III, WestConn (Western Connecticut State) Colonials rebranded in July by dropping their mascot & now identify with just a W Shield.  Not exciting news but still a change nonetheless.  They play their first football game tomorrow so I'm sure yet if their helmet logo will change.  Source

OLD
a5daabee4597f5c7f1a6a53aa5d6f38c.jpg
NEW
primaryathletics-768x772.jpgcolonial.jpgShield-1535478197.jpg

Not familiar with this school but that mascot had a ton of potential, and they should have at least kept it as an alternate (if they cleaned up the gradients) similar to how the Wisconsin Badgers have their primary W but still use the Bucky mascot logo a lot. As far as these new shield logos, they need thicker lines. There’s a lot of unimaginative empty white space. This update seems like a missed opportunity.

• Like 5