College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

15 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Image result for Concordia Chicago Cougars

This is their old logo.

Yes, that was there previously.  The source of my link was from the athletics site, I guess they updated it which affected it here.  I'll be sure to use a more permanent pic next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Hey that wasn't meant to call you out or anything, FYI. So sorry if it came off that way. 

Oh, it's cool.  I understood what was going on.  I figured I had to say something.  I haven't spent much time posting before this thread so I'm learning the finer details of it along the way.

• Like 1

Division III's Loras College Duhawks of Dubuque, Iowa announced their new brand today.  The Dewey logo has been retired in favored of bringing consistency to the school's new brand.  (Source)  This was designed by Wes Teska, his Behance work here.  In addition to below there is a head-only logo & wordmark. For those wondering what's a Duhawk, it's a combination of Dubuque Hawks where the school is located.

OLD
sO6FuAq.png      CFZjgtP.png
NEW
GbwhHza.png      0KADgoQ.png

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, Waffles said:

That's a shame. I've always felt like there was a strong marketing/recruiting opportunity for the Blackbirds in dropping or de-emphasizing the LIU and positioning themselves as just Brooklyn.

It's also a shame because the LIU Blackbirds identity has some real history* behind it.

* -- Ignoring LIU's involvement in the point shaving scandal of the '50s which caused the whole athletic program to be shut down for about five years.  That little unpleasantness hasn't wiped Kentucky off of the map.

From Wiki --

LIU was a national powerhouse in the 1930s and 1940s under Clair Bee, who compiled the highest winning percentage in major college basketball history. The Blackbirds were retroactively recognized as the pre-NCAA Tournament national champion for the 1935–36 season by the Premo-Porretta Power Poll.

The Blackbirds have appeared in National Invitation Tournament (NIT) ten times. Their combined record is 7–8 and they were NIT champions in 1939 and 1941.

Those NIT championships were from the era when the NIT was a bigger deal than the NCAA Tournament.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 4 weeks later...

Illinois Wesleyan University Titans, member of NCAA D3's CCIW, unveiled their new brand yesterday.  Featured are a new titan head logo, new stylized IW, and new wordmarks.  The previous "Tommy Titan" logo, used by IWU athletics since the late 1960s, will continue to be featured at Illinois Wesleyan as a vintage or retro mark.  The new primary mark – a redesigned Titan head – was created in-house and the additional marks were developed by Rickabaugh Graphics.  SOURCE

OLD
NGqJW3h.png6zg2KYY.png
NEW
tGpRyBz.pnguiDLaGS.pngHf5NSwI.pngj6IfZ4P.png

Personally, I'm very happy to see the updated look.  I noticed the inconsistency of their brand while watching this school over past couple years.  They've had logos that mirrored Michigan State's retro Gruff logo, a stylized W very similar to Wisconsin on their football helmets, and an I-Wesleyan mark identical to Iowa State's primary.  

• Like 9

On 10/8/2018 at 8:40 PM, stumpygremlin said:

Image result for Concordia Chicago Cougars

This is their old logo.

Modernizing this logo would've been much better than what they went with.. Their new logo looks like a cheap 80's cartoon.. It has no character and doesn't feel like much of a logo.. As bad as the rendering of this older is, it's at least unique and recognizable.. I feel like @ren69 could do some magic with it, and make it a great mark

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

Illinois Wesleyan is a big upgrade but I can’t help but notice that the plume is at a slightly different 3/4 angle than the helmet. It’s not enough to ruin the set because overall they now have a nice consistent look.

They wanted to keep the plume as is because of the “hidden” IWU.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just noticed it even though it's been around since August:  San José State University has been using a newer Spartan helmet logo this school year.  Doesn't appear on uniforms yet but is on promotional material & social media.  From university website, "As of September 2018, SJSU has “one Spartan, one spirit.” The university has merged the university spirit mark and the Athletics Spartan helmet, creating a stronger, more unified presence in our community."  Altogether it's nearly identical to the old spirit without the shoulder element and now just 2 colors instead of 4.  SOURCE

Old Athletic Logo and University Spirit Mark
GAugmK3.png        PKioebf.png

New Combined Logo for Athletics & Institutional
UXcKXa9.png

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 12:59 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Anyone have any info on Baylor getting all new uniforms next year? sounds like my beloved neon is going away 😕

With football still wearing Elite 51 I would expect them to move up to the latest Nike template. Neon was never officially part of the team color scheme but works for the basketball teams.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...