Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (17/08 Champions Cup Concept + Daring Third Kit Added)

Xibalba

KSK Beveren

Koninklijke Sportkring Beveren was a Belgian football team from Beveren, East Flanders. It was founded in 1935 and it's colors are blue and yellow, which is a nod to the coat of arms of the town. Until 1949, the team was active in the provincial leagues but managed to climb up to the third division. The club reached the first division for the first time in 1967. In the mid 70's the club became a regular in the highest tier. With the Belgian national team legend Jean-Marie Pfaff in goal, the club won the Belgian Cup in 1978 and became champions of Belgium  the next season. In 1983 the club won it's second Belgium Cup, and in 84 it had a second domestic title, making the club a top team during this time. From the late eighties to the early nineties the club had up and downs but never reached the heights it once did. In 2001 the club had a renaissance with help from Ivorian players. Yaya Toure, Gervinho all played for Beveren before going to England.

The Logo

2rvyema.jpg

I kept the overall look of the logo but added the town's coat of arms in the center of the ball, since that was the main feature of the club's logo in the modern age. I also used dark blue instead of gold for the details. 

The Kits

2uj1shf.png

The home kits is yellow with a blue accent running across the sleeve and shoulder and is based on the one worn in the 86-87 season. It is worn with blue shorts and yellow socks. The away shirt is white with yellow and blue stripes running down the shirt and is based on the one worn in the 98-99 season. It is paired with white socks and white shorts that have blue and yellow accent. The kit supplier is the French Brand Le Coq Sportif and the main sponsor is Japanse electronics company Pioneer. 

What happend to the club? 

During the 09/10 season the club was in the second division, after always managing to avoid relegation. During that season it was announced that the club did not renew it's license to continue play in the second division. It went down willingly to the third tier at the end of that season despite the outcome of results on the pitch. In the 10/11 season the club merged with Red Star Waasland, but the new club did not get approval of the Belgian F.A.  Many Beveren fans do not recognize Waasland-Beveren as the successor club and started their own club in the provincial leagues called Yellow Blue SK Beveren.     

Map

2m6u8o8.jpg

• Xibalba changed the title to Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (5/08 KSK Beveren Added)

I'd consider extending the stripes of coat of arms to fill the entire ball, but other than that the logo looks great! I love the colors.

It'd be nice to see the navy blue on the kits somewhere.

Keep up the good work!

KSV Waregem

Koninklijke Sportvereniging Waregem was a Belgian Football Club hailing from Waregem, West Flanders. It was founded in 1925 and it's colors where red and white. The club played it's home games at the Regenboogstadion. In 1946, the club merged with an other club from the region, Red Star Waregem and adopted KSV Waregem as it's offical name. From 1966 until 1996 the club played 28 years in the Belgian top flight, with only two seasons spent in the second division. The club had some European succes during it's time. 

The Logo

690pxx.jpg

Originally I wanted to go with the logo used during the 90's, because I like the simplicity and typography of it, but eventually decided against it because I couldn't make any changes to the existing design. So i went with the one used before. I used red and white as my primary colors and used gold as a third color. I included more text and replaced the ball with a more traditional representation. 

The Kits

sljo92.jpg

I modeled the home kit after the one used in 85-86, like then the kits are manufactured by puma so I tried implementing the style that the brand used now. The home kits is red with white sleeves and a white band running across the chest, it is worn with red shorts and red socks. The away is something more modern and is loosely based on West Brom's away kit.  It's black with neon pink and a geometric pattern, it also boasts a monochrome club badge. It is worn with black socks and shorts. The sponsor is local beer brand Bavik.

In 1996, the club played it last season in the top flight, eventually they slid down to the fourth tier due to financial problems. In 2001 the club ceased to exist and the remnants merged with Zultse V.V to become SV Zulte Waregem who now play in the top flight. 

Map 

2r6z2g9.jpg

• Xibalba changed the title to Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (8/08 SV Waregem Added)

So, no teams for today but instead here are some matchday graphics!

nbek2s.png

We are almost halfway on the project and I've been thinking on what I could do next. I have three ideas that might work but I can use some feedback on which idea is better.

• Champions League style project, made up of defunct teams from all over Europe
  • Teams from fictional cities, mostly of locations from videogames, book, movies etc..
  • World Cup style project, but with countries that no longer exist. I.E Austria-Hungary, Gran Columbia etc..  

• Xibalba changed the title to Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (9/08 Matchday Graphics Added)
53 minutes ago, Xibalba said:

So, no teams for today but instead here are some matchday graphics!

nbek2s.png

We are almost halfway on the project and I've been thinking on what I could do next. I have three ideas that might work but I can use some feedback on which idea is better.

• Champions League style project, made up of defunct teams from all over Europe
  • Teams from fictional cities, mostly of locations from videogames, book, movies etc..
  • World Cup style project, but with countries that no longer exist. I.E Austria-Hungary, Gran Columbia etc..  

Yeeeah man, absolutely amazing idea here. Can't wait for it!

So we've reached the half-way mark, and for this one we are heading south!  

RCS Verviétois

Royal Cercle Sportif Verviétois was a Belgian footballclub from Verviers, Liege. It was founded in 1896, and was one of the oldest clubs in the country and had matricule number 8. It played in green and white. It had several stints in the top flight during it's early days but soon found itself bouncing between different tiers. During the late fifties and early sixties the club played in the top flight, but never returned after.

The Logo

2w7g855.jpg

I think this the first one that I didn't attempt a remake of the original. I tried to incorporate the ram mascot into a traditional shield style and also tried to use the striped pattern.

The Kits

5dqrt5.jpg

Since the club spend a lot of seasons in the lower divisions there is not a lot of material to work with so I went with my gut. The home has a white upper part and the base shirt is green. It has a neat mandarin collar and is worn with white shorts and green socks. The away is orange and blue and features a ram matermark it is worn with orange shorts and socks. The kit supplier is Spanish brand Joma and the sponsor is telecom company VOO. 

During the late 90's the club was in the provincial levels, in 2000 the club merged with Dison sport and changed it's name to RES Dison-Verviers. In 2013/14 season the club finished second in the third division but did not go up due to financial problems, it played one more season in the third tier before the club folded. A new club was founded at started play in the ninth tier of Belgian Football, which is also the lowest tier. 

Map

339qejt.jpg

Also here's a quick overview of all the logo's that are done to this point!

35lafbt.jpg

• Xibalba changed the title to Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (13/08 RCS Verviétois Added)
Guest darkpiranha

I want to add ten votes for the Legacy League/Defunct Champions League idea.  That's an idea that could expand out to include Defunct Premiere Leagues and all the lower leagues in each country if you wanted to keep it going.  It would be especially fun for relatively new soccer fans like me who have maybe heard of some of these older defunct clubs, but haven't had the time or wherewithal to do any deeper research.  I know there are tons of teams that were once major players that have gone by the wayside, and this would be a great history lesson in addition to a fun design experiment.  

No new team  today, but instead here's a small draft of one of my ideas that I posted earlier. A Champions League of defunct clubs from all over Europe. It will include teams that all have been champions of their domestic league (or at least finished in one of the eligible places to enter). I've already got some teams from France, Germany, Italy and I'm working on how I could make it work and maybe putting this series on hold. 

xe3gk0.jpg

And as an extra, here's Daring third kit with Champions Cup Patches

r04lc7.jpg

• Xibalba changed the title to Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (17/08 Champions Cup Concept + Daring Third Kit Added)
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived