Canadian Premier League Concepts (Completed 12-11: Sask & League Graphics)

vtgco

Hello! vtgco here with another project...

cpl_header.jpg

So, the Canadian Premier League is coming to fruition. Personally, I think the CPL's logos are okay, but not great, and so I decided I might try to make some small changes to improve them. Also, I wanted to try to make jerseys based off of them. Keep in mind, these are not predictions, just what I think looks good.

Once again, I'm using raysox's template. The standard league font is Signika, which approximates the league's real font.

Table of Concepts

Confirmed Teams

Expansion Teams

Starting out with Calgary!

cgy_display.jpg

Calgary's logo was a bit of a miss, but mostly because it was monochromatic. Using all three colors makes it a lot better, I think, and the mountains add some Alberta symbolism.

The home jersey is green (unfortunately, I think that'll be the primary color), using CADPAT for the sleeves & socks.

The away is based on the Calgary flag, and has a sublimated horseshoe pattern.

C&C is appreciated! Let me know if you think I've improved Calgary's logo, and/or if you like the jerseys. York will probably be the next team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think your modifications to the crest were improvements. It was a simple chevron with a dual meaning (both military and mountain). Now it's only a mountain with a disjointed stroke. I always thought the old timey ball in the original crest was its weakest element, but it works better when the ball is the same color as the background. When you changed the ball's color to white it stands out too much. By making the change to the chevron and to "CALGARY", the crest loses any symbolism to the team name of CAVALRY.

If you don't like the monochromatic look of the original crest, try changing the chevron to red (along with the black stroke you added in your version).

I do really like the away kit. Clean.

Hopefully, my York 9 concept is... plantastic! [cricket chirps]

yrk_display.jpg

So, my issue with the logo was the overemphasized "York 9" wordmark, which was tall and boring. Therefore, I shifted the focus to a more realistic trillium flower. Also eliminated one horizontal line so it's actually 9, not 10.

My home jersey is pretty straightforward with a 9-line sash.

My away jersey is a bit avant-garde; the design is based on the needles of Ontario's provincial tree, the eastern white pine.

Also, since @Whitefoot raises a good point about losing too much military symbolism, I tried a couple more attempts at Calgary's logo.

cgy_choice.jpg

Hopefully, by using the same color above & below the chevron, it brings back some military feel.

I still want to keep the mountains relatively explicit, so I changed the side peaks to background mountains.

CGY 2 feels very militaristic to me, but a bit dark.

CGY 3's cross is from Alberta's coat of arms, and I replaced the ball with the C-horseshoe.

Let me know what you think!

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Refinements & Unis (Update 07-31: York 9 FC)

All I hope is that they don't do a league-wide kit deal, because I think in MLS, visually, it has lead to a lot of sameness between clubs just because it's only the one manufacturer, where most other leagues leave it to the clubs, which also just gives everything a nice amount of variation. I get why they do it, but I would love to see multiple manufacturers, and I hope the CPL does it as well.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

All I hope is that they don't do a league-wide kit deal, because I think in MLS, visually, it has lead to a lot of sameness between clubs just because it's only the one manufacturer, where most other leagues leave it to the clubs, which also just gives everything a nice amount of variation. I get why they do it, but I would love to see multiple manufacturers, and I hope the CPL does it as well.

I agree to a certain extent. I think the problem comes when the Adidas stripes, Nike sleeves, etc. IS the main focus/design of the kits, with no pattern or graphic at all.

For MLS, just looking at VAN, TOR, and KC's aways, to name a few, is so saddening, because there's nothing interesting or relevant to the city or team. It could just be Adidas gear.

Sorry, the Sports Logos subforum is leaking.

3 hours ago, vtgco said:

I agree to a certain extent. I think the problem comes when the Adidas stripes, Nike sleeves, etc. IS the main focus/design of the kits, with no pattern or graphic at all.

For MLS, just looking at VAN, TOR, and KC's aways, to name a few, is so saddening, because there's nothing interesting or relavent to the city or team. It could just be Adidas gear.

Sorry, the Sports Logos subforum is leaking.

100%. I understand why manufacturers may re-use basic patterns, but I agree that it doesn't utilize much identity in the design (Vancouver's away from last year was incredible) But I think the problem with MLS is that it's not a large enough commercial league in terms of kit-sales to motivate Adidas financially to really swing for the fences with most of the designs. It's also hard to design 46 kits all in the same vacuum with the same basic format and not have some of them look very similar. I don't blame Adidas per-se, and if the league had Adidas, Puma, New Balance, Nike, and Hummel making kits for individual teams I think there would be greater pressure to come up with something good.

spacer.png

Nothing to do with your concept but am I missing something with Calgary? Is there a military tradition there or are they named to go along with a horse theme? The CF base is in Edmonton, just seems weird to me that Calgary would be military themed.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:14 PM, joepro said:

Nothing to do with your concept but am I missing something with Calgary? Is there a military tradition there or are they named to go along with a horse theme? The CF base is in Edmonton, just seems weird to me that Calgary would be military themed.

According to my preparatory Wikipedia searches, the team was branded in part in honor of this regiment which was once based in Calgary. I think that's probably Nike-speak, though, and they just wanted a singular-noun horsey name.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:36 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

I like CGY 3 the most.

York 9 is a good kit.

Thanks for the kind words! I was worried York 9's away would be too far out for everyone.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:40 PM, raysox said:

1 and 3 are nice. I don’t think monochromatic was the issue, if just felt sort of lifeless. I like the ones you’ve done so far!

I personally think the monochromatic was a big part--but not the entirety--of the lifelessness. Glad to hear you like my edits!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the good discussion!

Next up, it's the team with possibly the worst primary logo in the CPL:

What's your name, man? ?

Forge FC Hamilton FC Forge Forge FC Hamilton Forgy McForgeFace

ham_display.jpg

My logo takes their secondary hammer logo, and puts over a roundel with a waterfall in the background. The chains and flower are from the Hamilton flag. I also wanted to switch to Hamilton's normal yellow+black scheme. I think, altogether, it makes a pretty complete primary logo. The font, as in real life, is Epitough.

The home uniform is a fauxback to this 1987 jersey from the Hamilton Steelers.

The away is a brushed steel look (inspired by the Chicago Fire) in the real life Hamilton Forge colors.

I also created a version of my logo in their actual color scheme, since the team decided for some reason to reject Hamilton's traditional colors.

For a set in the real colors, just swap the home & away designations and change the new home jersey's crest to the one below.

ham_choice.jpg

Any C&C about anything yet is greatly appreciated (as well as more discussion about the CPL branding). Probably next will be Edmonton.

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Refinements & Kits (Update 08-03: Hamilton)

Wow, what a great job on the Hamilton logo, as a current resident of Hamilton (and Forge "member" as they are calling them) I think that you nailed it right on the head, personally I really like the inclusion of the waterfall element. 

Yellow makes sense, I don't know why Forge decided to go with orange. 

.....and those uniforms, love it!

I'll stop gushing now, lol. I just really like what you've done here. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

54 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

nailed it right on the head

Be gavel what you wish for when you start the hammer humor! I mallet it get out of hand, and then you might fly off the handle!

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm so glad that someone from Hamilton likes it. I'm proud of that waterfall, as it took me a while to make, but it really completed the logo, I think.

I don't get the orange, either. Their promised one game a year in yellow+black is not nearly enough.

9 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Their promised one game a year in yellow+black is not nearly enough.

Punny!

Agreed 200%. Yellow and black (or blue like the flag if they want to be different from the ti-cats) is the way to go if you ask me. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Shifting from one of the worst brands in the CPL to one of the best:

wpg_display.jpg

I actually quite like Winnipeg's current logo, but I'd thought I'd try to make a logo that could be used as an alternate for the real life team, or a primary for a concept series. ?

The logo is the shape of the Victoria Cross received by the namesake WWI soldiers. It has the gate of Fort Garry, the wheat from the real logo, and a remembrance poppy (which I think matches the team name & colors).

The home jersey has a V & W with a geometric pattern based on the wheat in the logo.

The away jersey is in Blue Bombers/city flag colors, and is an all-white jersey in honor of the Jets' playoff tradition. It has the silhouette of the Esplanade Riel.

The crest is centered on the kits, ala Philadelphia Union.

C&C appreciated!

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Updates & Kits (Update 08-05: Winnipeg)

No opinions on Winnipeg? Eh, fair enough, there have been so many good concepts posted recently to keep up with...

Staying out in the prairies, here's Edmonton:

edm_display.jpg

The home is based on these NASL [2: Electric Boogaloo] FC Edmonton jerseys, which I like quite a bit.

The away is an original NASL Edmonton Drillers fauxback.

Quite a bit of good soccer history in Edmonton that I think is smart to maintain for a team in a new league.

I'm not feeling super confident about my Edmonton logo... It is an attempt to bring back some of the old logo, and to focus on the Rally Rabbit. Let me know what you think.

edm_choice.jpg

Please, any C&C on Edmonton and/or Winnipeg and/or anything else is greatly appreciated.

Archived