High School Logo Redesign

Section30

For the last few years I have been tinkering with the idea of redesigning the logos of my (now former) high school. I finally decided to give it a shot because the schools current identity is a mess. There is only one official logo that doesn't have seemingly thousands of variants and that is just the school crest. My goal was to create a total logo set complete with an updated crest, a leprechaun logo, a shamrock with script logo, and some alternates that can be used in other situations or for specific sports. Some major differences that will be in all of the new logos is the change from a normal blue to navy and yellow to a more athletic gold color. I did this so the schools colors would acctually match the schools sports teams, green is used as an accent color but is not a main color outside of logos. Without further ado, lets begin.

Up first is my updated version of the school crest. Below is the current crest for comparison.

Changes:

• New bold font that is easily read and is equal thickness throughout.
  • Updated lamp and shamrock
  • R adjusted to be more even
  • modernized vines
  • Equal weight of outlines througout

Image result for rosemount irish crest logo

zeKafga.jpg

Let me know what you think, CC is appreciated!

• Section30 changed the title to High School Logo Redesign
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is what I would imagine would be the new main logo. It is an updated version of the current "shamrock with script" logo that the school currently uses seemingly thousands of variations of. Whether it be different scripts, different shamrocks, or varying colors, I decided to make a version that would finally allow the school to have a constant main logo.

Changes:

• Custom "Irish" script
  • New updated shamrock
  • Navy outline to shamrock and script
  • Green and gold no longer touch

Image result for rosemount irish logo

ohPdObE.jpg

Let me know what you think, CC is appreciated!

28 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Definitely a better version of the logo, but the shamrock already suggests "irish".. The text isn't needed as well..

Perhaps another logo idea would be to use a script "R" on the shamrock..

Ooh, or the medieval styled 'R' on the primary logo. Maybe the slanted wordmark?

Solid work all around, though. Really good look that feels both modern and classic at the same time. A+.

50 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Definitely a better version of the logo, but the shamrock already suggests "irish".. The text isn't needed as well..

Perhaps another logo idea would be to use a script "R" on the shamrock..

I plan on using just the shamrock for a secondary logo and the goal of this one was to update the current logo, I'll definitely look into doing a version with a script R in the shamrock though.

22 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I think the script is needed. Just a shamrock is kind of lame and the script looks great over the green. I’d keep it.

I agree, I think it adds something

22 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Ooh, or the medieval styled 'R' on the primary logo. Maybe the slanted wordmark?

Solid work all around, though. Really good look that feels both modern and classic at the same time. A+.

I'm gonna work on some different R logos but I think the diagonal script from the crest would be awkward in the shamrock. Thank you for the kind words I appreciate it.

11 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I think the script is needed. Just a shamrock is kind of lame and the script looks great over the green. I’d keep it.

I don't think having a script is a bad idea, I just think it's redundant.. It's like a tiger paw with a script "Tigers" over it.. It's more appropriate to reference the nickname with the image and the city/school with the letter/monogram imo..

Here are just some secondary logos to go with the set, there is a plan shamrock logo along with two scripts, one with a shamrock dotting the i. The shamrock I would imagine would be used on things like the pants for the basketball team and the shoulders on the hockey jerseys. The scripts could be used for things such as the baseball and softball jerseys.

qBqyYNI.jpg

Let me know what you think, cc is appreciated!

As suggested by @WavePunter here it is with an R in the middle of the shamrock. I tried using the Gothic R from the crest as well as some others, but they just looked off, so I decided on this script R I had made before. I originally didn't have this R in the logo set because after I finished it I realized it looked very similar to the Washington Redskins script R logo. Below I have 3 color variations, navy with white outline, white with navy outline, and gold with navy outline like the Irish script logo. 

Here is the Redskins R logo I mentioned, I still think it looks too similar but I don't know how to fix it without completely scrapping this R for a new one.

Image result for script r logos

yPDK7kK.jpg

I think this is a nice tertiary logo and ties in multiple elements.. And don't get me wrong, the recreated logo with the Irish script was beautifully done, and may have some useful applications, but I think it's just redundant and I like the  R-clover for more universal usage..

Excellent work all around though!

I suggest making the curves at the bottom of the R shorter. The bottom curves do a good job of differentiating your logo from the Redskins but I think that the curls throw the shape of the R off. I think shortening them just a bit can make your logo better resemble a cursive R while still providing distinction. Hope that helps, I'm excited to see the final product of this design and who knows maybe you could get your school to adopt the look.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:11 PM, Johnny Ryall said:

I suggest making the curves at the bottom of the R shorter. The bottom curves do a good job of differentiating your logo from the Redskins but I think that the curls throw the shape of the R off. I think shortening them just a bit can make your logo better resemble a cursive R while still providing distinction. Hope that helps, I'm excited to see the final product of this design and who knows maybe you could get your school to adopt the look.

I will definitely work on shortening the bottoms, thanks for the feedback. And the goal of this is to get a full set I'm happy with to submit to the school so hopefully they adopt it.

Rosemount has never had their own Leprechaun logo, they sometimes use the Notre Dame logo but I heard rumors that they aren't allowed to anymore. Anyways, I knew I needed to have one in this set that could be used as either a secondary or maybe even as a second main logo with the shamrock and script. I based it off of the old "cartoon" mascot logos often used by colleges and some high schools. The logo is an angry Leprechaun walking with his chest puffed out.

2Tgqh2H.jpg

Here is a version that is just the angry leprechaun head.

JgKaa4J.jpg

I think your shield logo should be wider, though I understand wanting to keep the shape similar to the original. I think if it's wider the wordmark might look a little better with the extra space to work with. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Awesome work! Clean updates across the board. Rosemount needs to adopt these yesterday!

One nitpick, though. The script R doesn’t really read. I think part of the reason is the bottom curves are too symmetrical. The symmetry gives it balance, but makes it look less like an R. 

After writing that, I think I figured out what the root of the problem with it is. The elbow where the bottom-right curve and the loop of the R meet might be too high up on the letter form. If you brought that elbow down a little bit, it would read a lot better, and without sacrificing the symmetry that makes it visually appealing and clover-like.

Hope I could help a little. Now that Rosemount is going to have its own unique logo set, I’d love to see high schools across the nation follow suit. There’s not a high school in the country that couldn’t benefit from an update as professional as this.

16 hours ago, EJaws said:

This is amazing! I'd love to see a redesign of Hill-Murray #RollPios

I'm considering doing something like that here I redesign high schools that I feel are in major need of a new identity, so Hill-Murray could definitely be in there.

8 hours ago, nate.sweitz said:

Awesome work! Clean updates across the board. Rosemount needs to adopt these yesterday!

One nitpick, though. The script R doesn’t really read. I think part of the reason is the bottom curves are too symmetrical. The symmetry gives it balance, but makes it look less like an R. 

After writing that, I think I figured out what the root of the problem with it is. The elbow where the bottom-right curve and the loop of the R meet might be too high up on the letter form. If you brought that elbow down a little bit, it would read a lot better, and without sacrificing the symmetry that makes it visually appealing and clover-like.

Hope I could help a little. Now that Rosemount is going to have its own unique logo set, I’d love to see high schools across the nation follow suit. There’s not a high school in the country that couldn’t benefit from an update as professional as this.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

And I'll try those adjustments to the R logo, I think that could help it a lot, thanks!

While I wait for responses about which color works best, here are the Shamrock with script R logos part 2.

Top Left: The original script R

Top middle: Script R with cut off bottoms and not attached at top.

Top right: Same as top middle except it is attached at the top like in the original.

Bottom left: Script R with loop on bottom left side to look like it flows more, not attached at top.

Bottom Right: Same as bottom left only the top is attached like in the original.

bWyLIEn.jpg

Archived