On the subject of the Lakers’ Giraffe

Vitalogy26

What with the Lakers’ brand garnering more eyes lately with Lebron joining and introducing the fauxbackd, I began to think about just how bland the Lakers’ logo is.

I coincidentally was at a Toys’R’us with my stepdaughter when it all rushed back to me that the Lakers had a giraffe as their logo at some point in the sixties.

I’ve been looking all over google but have yet to get a definitive answer on the existence of this logo:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYJOKIfMHfP6c5D-E16Pd

I couldn’t find much about it except that it was actually sold on merchandise when the Lakers moved to LA but I guess it was never officially adopted.

I wanna see if anyone else on these boards knows anything about this branding and why it never caught on/why it was abandoned, so to speak.

I also really like this old logo in terms of the sheer goofiness/campiness. It has a lot more life than the Lakers script logo (although of course that has so much history attached to it). Does anyone else like it?

finally, does anyone else think that this can be modified and brought back to bolster the Lakers’ current identity in any way? I found this logo concept by a designer named Mark Crosby:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8_qOQqRFE_Go4llzIywp

and i think it’s freaking brilliant. Magnificent. Would anyone else like to see the lakers build around this?

Or have i just had one too many drinks and am just insane? 

I’d love to see some discussion about this quirky little facet of the LA Lakers’ identity.

I think it would have to be something akin to the Bucks' original logo. The concept above looks good, but doesn't have the right tone IMO. The actual Lakers logo is on the right track, but I don't think it would work today. At best, I think it would be a fun fauxback merchandise logo; the team doesn't need it on their uniforms.

The giraffe is so corny. It's like if the Knicks added a stilt logo. Or the Heat added a flamingo. Or the Thunder a skyscraper. Yes, basketball players are tall. But try just a little harder, yeah?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I think it would have to be something akin to the Bucks' original logo. The concept above looks good, but doesn't have the right tone IMO. The actual Lakers logo is on the right track, but I don't think it would work today. At best, I think it would be a fun fauxback merchandise logo; the team doesn't need it on their uniforms.

What kinda tone are you thinking? Something more campy?

I admit it would have to be relegated to secondary or even tertiary logo status. 

I just love it so much haha

16 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yes, basketball players are tall. But try just a little harder, yeah?

It seems like a cliche, but how many giraffe basketball teams are out there?

14 minutes ago, Vitalogy26 said:

What kinda tone are you thinking? Something more campy?

I admit it would have to be relegated to secondary or even tertiary logo status. 

I just love it so much haha

Gotta go full camp. We might even need the giraffe to get dizzy and tie its neck in a knot. ?

How many giraffe teams are there overall? This is why I like this identity so much: it’s incredibly unique and something they could own.

I know it would never happen, but I could see that full campiness. Maybe you’re right: the only way to do it justice and not ruin the brand would be just a fauxback night. 

Back when this was discovered a couple years back there was alot of discussion about where that logo came from and why. The general consensus is that it wasn't an official team logo but just something slapped together for some merchandise and put on some cards. IIRC someone even contacted the Lakers themselves and they claimed to have no idea of the giraffe.

bSLCtu2.png

2 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Back when this was discovered a couple years back there was alot of discussion about where that logo came from and why. General consensus is that it wasn't an official team logo but just something slapped together for some merchandise and put on some cards. IIRC someone even contacted the Lakers themselves and they claimed to have no idea of the giraffe.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the info! 

Giraffes are inherently awkward and silly creatures. It's cool as a throwback/campy logo, but trying to make the giraffe tough and aggressive like that concept logo just looks dumb. It's like when a minor league baseball team tries to use a tough-looking oyster or something as a mascot.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

13 hours ago, uuh70 said:

Think of the bright side...it will give our old friend a new gig 

geoffrey_renejohnpiere970.jpg

You know, he really would be a great mascot for the Lakers. There's the historical significance, etc.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Did the Lakers ever truly use this logo?  I thought it was just something included on basketball cards for a couple of years.  Of course, I am sure they had to agree to it, but I'm still not sure there's enough history with the team for this to make any sense.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I guess you guys are right :/ 

I don’t know - I guess i’m just a sucker for uniqueness in a brand in terms of having an actual mascot. But of course for a prestigious franchise it’s not necessary- that I can be realistic about. 

But in my fantasy head canon, the Lakers will have a giraffe logo.

Archived