Realistic NFL Helmets - 12/32 - AFC South Completed

DoctaC

Today I will be starting a new series where I will be creating new helmets for each NFL team. They will be direct representations of the teams' mascots; no logos or wordmarks. Basically, every team will be getting a helmet in the same style as the Eagles, Seahawks, Rams, etc.

First up will be the AFC East division. I will be doing the AFC first and then the NFC:

1IUBAAd.png

Buffalo Bills

The Bills' helmet is a simple set of buffalo horns on a blue base, topped off with a red facemask.

Miami Dolphins

Miami's helmet utilizes a dolphin tail coming from the front of the helmet and an orange facemask.

New England Patriots

With the Pats' helmet I eliminated grey from the color scheme and used a design the team wore during the 1960s.

New York Jets

A simple jet with a grey trail, pretty self-explanatory.

Next up will be the AFC North! C&C on the AFC East is appreciated and encouraged!

Now for the AFC North!

fWqrZrv.png

Baltimore Ravens

Here is the first on many teams with bird mascots, in a league where there are too many for a series like this. To combat this, I did research on what a raven's wing looks like, as I will be doing with every other bird-team.

Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals are a team who already have a mascot-realistic helmet. All I did was continue the Bengal stripes on the entire helmet.

Cleveland Browns

The Browns were a tricky one, because they don't really... have a mascot. They were called the Browns after owner Paul Brown, so I took the hat he often wore (a dark brown fedora), and did something similar to the Patriots. 

Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers helmet is......... steel. And chrome.

Next up will be the AFC South! C&C on the AFC North is appreciated and encouraged!

12 hours ago, DoctaC said:

New England Patriots

With the Pats' helmet I not only created a new design but also eliminated grey from the color scheme. The actual design is a colonial/patriot style hat on top of a TV number.

Next up will be the AFC North! C&C on the AFC East is appreciated and encouraged!

That's not a new design - they wore it in the 60s

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, DoctaC said:

Crap, I mixed up the Jets and Pats when I was doing research. Wrote the Jets were the ones who’d had a similar design lol.

The Jets also had a design similar to what you did - only the plane was in profile, not from above....

It's where I sit.

Fun idea to do every team ala Rams/Vikings!

Maybe for the Steelers, do a helmet stripe of rivets? So clever that it reflects the stadium!

Curious to see if/how you change up LA, Philly, Minnesota, and Seattle!

14 hours ago, appleclock said:

These are neat so far. For the Browns you could have just made a completely brown helmet.

Thanks, I tried an all brown helmet with just the number originally, but I felt it was too plain.

14 hours ago, vtgco said:

Fun idea to do every team ala Rams/Vikings!

Maybe for the Steelers, do a helmet stripe of rivets? So clever that it reflects the stadium!

Curious to see if/how you change up LA, Philly, Minnesota, and Seattle!

Thanks! Here's my attempt at the Steelers' helmet with rivets:

NlSc4sy.png

I think with the bird-teams (Philly, Seattle, Arizona, Atlanta) the type/look of the wing will be the difference between them, unless I come up with a new idea. As for LA, Minnesota, and teams like them, creating a new design that still looks good will be a challenge!

Now for the AFC South!

hl8pk9l.png

Houston Texans

The Texans were a tough one to do. "Texans" is a difficult mascot for this series, as its not really a mascot. So, what I did was take the smaller horns from the logo, and after I felt there was too much negative space, added a lasso in the back.

Indianapolis Colts

Just a colt coming from both sides of the helmet, just like the Seahawks use today.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville's helmet is my favorite one so far. Its a jaguar, with the golden fur being chrome. The face mask is their teal color.

Tennessee Titans

The Titans' helmet is just a powder blue with a navy face mask and the fire trail from their logo. My initial design also used a sword as a helmet stripe, but it just didn't feel right.

Next up will be the AFC West! C&C on the AFC South is appreciated and encouraged!

Archived