Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So this is a primary jersey redesign?  How did this slip through the cracks without anyone knowing (or hinting) about it?

I thought they did a great job last time they redesigned, and I'm not sure how they can improve upon it without looking too much like the Magic-era uniforms.

Maybe keep the current cut but bring back the side stripes and purple numbers w/ shadows?  Or the opposite - go back to the old template but keep the current numbers?

I’m really hoping the Lakers as an organization are working on this instead of Nike just having the free will lol even though I believe that to be the case since the Lakers are so iconic. 

I think the changes will be subtle, and overall the jersey will remain simple in design, to keep along with their tradition, yet I expect it to be modern. 

I posted a link of a Suns jersey concept, something I believe they used just last year before their newest jersey... it features a slanted wordmark (something the 70’s Lakers jersey used) with the number on the far end underneath... I think the side stripe the Lakers use doesn’t have to take up the entire jersey, but could start halfway down on the top of the jersey, and end half way up on the shorts... if they were to make the font and the letterings a little edgy, it could be very modern. Obviously, it sounds fantastic in my head but I myself would love to see a visual. 

Im not sure how to post images here, but this is a link to the Suns uniform I’m referencing. 

https://m.imgur.com/D25Xedw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bowld said:

How did this slip by Conrad? Or did he just remain silent?

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

The Christmas uni was kind of copy-pasta'd around the league, but going to something script-y/flow-y like that would be appropriate for the franchise.  Keep it minimalist/classic and don't you dare do what the Clippers did.

Maybe a script from their unused jersey?

23647_01_lg.jpg

4r2eer.png

6 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Wow, that came out of nowhere. I have faith that they won't mess it up, after all it's the Los Angeles Lakers and not some team with little history or whatever.

That's why i'm thinking it might just be a template change.

I hope the Lakers just make some modest changes.

For me, a perfect update would be getting rid of the side panels on the jersey, but not the shorts; updating the jersey cut (no more wishbone) while keeping the current word mark and numbers (no drop shadow).

IMO, that’d be a nice update with elements of the classic Showtime Lakers and the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The more I think about it, I actually think they might be going back to the Showtime uniforms and I’ll explain why...

•With Nike introducing these dumb names for jerseys, I could easily envision Magic saying, the ‘Icon’ jersey, (as well as the others) should truly represent the history of the organization.. and when people think of the Lakers, and given our history of players, every great player (besides George Mikan) has donned the classic “Showtime” uniform. From Elgin Baylor and Jerry West, all the way to early Kobe and Shaq. The Celtics have maintained their uniform, celebrating tradition throughout time, as well as other organizations such as the New York Yankees and Dallas Cowboys. The Showtime uniform is truly an iconic image. 

•The announcement of the uniforms and rebranding are seemingly “out of nowhere” and possibly could’ve remained hidden or silent from the masses but because of such short notice, it almost seems as if it would make sense to go back to said template simply because you already know what to do. Those jerseys are still being created and sold, so there’s really no major “redesign” that anyone would have to do. 

•The Lakers previous City uniform is a slight rendition of the Showtime uniform. The shorts feature a single striping pattern with 16 stars to represent the championships LA has won, and also the Black Mamba material are the only differences. 

•Magic Johnson is literally trying to bring back Showtime... with Lonzo, Lebron, Kuzma, Rondo, BI and a bunch of :censored:s on the court, it’s literallt happening in front of our eyes.

•The Lakers are one of the 23 teams not wearing a Classic uniform. That’s not Laker like at all... unless...

Why tf won’t my images or attachments load!!!

7 hours ago, bowld said:

Interesting word mark on those practice jerseys. Matches the logo as the S no longer sits inside the R

I would be ecstatic if they used the logo wordmark on the jersey. The current uniform wordmark is fat, clunky, and ill-proportioned compared to the logo, whose sleek, refined curves evoke mid-century LA so well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

48 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

If this shirt is any indication like last seasons shirts, the colors are going to be tweaked again. Could be wrong but I remember last time these types of shirts came out it tipped us off on some stuff.

ff_3199220alt1_full.jpg&w=2000

Those shirts haven’t changed since last season. Just updated players to sell stuff.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived