Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

The black on the "statement" doesn't really bother me as they've been going with "Hollywood Nights" and "Black Mamba" looks for years anyway.  This is just the new normal for the Nike branding - the purple jersey has been relegated (to the point that it didn't even appear until after Christmas this past season) so them going a little out there with it isn't the worst thing.

Plus, the black is even more restrained than this mess.

9GEhPVJ.gif

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

This confirms my fear, the purple jersey is done as a main road uniform. Nike can go away now.

This was my worry when Nike took over the NBA. They've managed to screw up another league like they did with the NFL. People better stop hoping for them to do the same to the mlb. 

That black side panel is the stuff people lose jobs over.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

You mean its gonna look as it had and should again. There was nothing weird before with the jerseys not having side panels while the shorts did.

The shorts were a lot shorter then so it balanced a little better. Just because it's from their classic jerseys doesn't mean it makes sense, design-wse

Yay!  Nike did something righ-

(sees black panel)

Never mind.

In all seriousness, though, that's the only thing holding this set back.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

For some reason my other post got deleted...

I actually like this update. I really do. Seems like a pretty good take on a modern Showtime. I prefer the vertical drop shadow to the more angled one that used to be used. My main dislike is also the apparent loss of the purple jersey as the primary road (seems it will just be an occasional alternate for good now, including at home). I'm not a huge fan of the purple stripe, but I can accept it on principle if this means no actual black jersey. It seems like a way to do the "obligatory BFBS" without doing something extremely forced like the black Clippers jersey.

Also, I'm not a color expert. Are the Lakers still wearing gold, or is it yellow now? I can barely tell the difference between "gold" and "yellow." Maybe I'm colorblind.

I think the Lakers never looked better than in the Shaq/Kobe era, so I wasn’t  excited about them going to a look inspired by the Showtime Lakers. Still the Lakers have always updated their uniform for each era while still retaining looking like the Lakers so I thought there was nothing to worry about. Apparently I was wrong. That black panel is rough, the Lakers copying the Kings and the Knicks 20 years later is hilarious 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Everything was going along great here, until Nike decided that the purple had to be a third jersey and they had to cram some black into it to honor the seventh or eighth-best player in franchise history.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This update is a 7/10. That black side panel prevents it from being a 9/10. Better stripe coloring and white number/yellow drop shadow on the purple would make it a 10/10. 

I think there’s an unwritten rule among sports teams that you can’t actually have a perfect look, you have to throw at least something in there that drags it down. 

spacer.png

Archived